You are not logged in.
Lost Password?

Register To Post

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Re: Good Genesis platform games? Retron 5?
Posted on: 2014/9/4 1:42
Nintendoid!
Joined 2012/3/13
USA
213 Posts
Long Time User (7 Years)
Sega Genesis/Mega Drive:
-Sonic the Hedgehog (any title)
-Vectorman 1&2
-Ren and Stimpy: Stimpy's Invention
-X-Men 1&2
-Space Harrier II
-Afterburner II
-Altered Beast
-Comix Zone
-Castlevania: Bloodlines
-Shining (series)
-Phantasy Star (any title)
-Rocket Knight Adventures
-TMNT: Hyperstone Heist
-Splatterhouse 2&3
-Shinobi (any title)
-Columns
-Spider-Man (any title)
-Earthworm Jim 1&2
-Boogerman
-Streets of Rage (series)
-Eternal Champions
-Echo the Dolphin
-Mickey Mouse Castle/World of Illusions
-Quackshot Starring Donald Duck
-Taz-Mania

Sega CD:
-Sonic CD
-The Terminator
-Rise of The Dragon
-Snatcher
-NBA Jam
-Mortal Kombat
-Android Assault: The Revenge of Bari-arm
-Lunar: Eternal Blue
-Dragon's Lair
-Final Fight CD

As for the Retron 5, don't waster your time on that or really any Reproduction console. They're all cheaply made pieces of junk. Spend the extra money and buy the real deal.

Posted on: 2014/9/21 8:24
Virtual Freak
Joined 2014/8/31
USA
83 Posts
Long Time User (5 Years)App Coder
Quote:
As for the Retron 5, don't waster your time on that or really any Reproduction console. They're all cheaply made pieces of junk. Spend the extra money and buy the real deal.
While I agree in general with that statement, I think in the next few years, the state of Genesis emulation will be such that cycle-accurate (or near-cycle-accurate) FPGA implementations will be realized.

Re: the Retron5... well, from what I understand, it doesn't actually READ the cartridge in real time, but compares the cart checksum to an internal database. That seems a bit dishonest to me- you are essentially paying for a form-factor without the ability to archive your (legal) ROM collection.

Retrode has a similar principle, but that has no delusions in being a 5-in-one hardware console.

In addition, most of the code that Hyperkin used for the emu cores was used illegaly: http://www.libretro.com/index.php/retroarch-license-violations/

Posted on: 2014/9/22 2:25
PVB Elite
Joined 2003/7/26
USA
1465 Posts
PVBCC EntryCoderContributorSpecial AchievementTop10 PosterHOTY09 EntryLong Time User (15 Years) App Coder20+ Game RatingsPVBCC 2013 Entry
Quote:

cr1901 wrote:
Re: the Retron5... well, from what I understand, it doesn't actually READ the cartridge in real time, but compares the cart checksum to an internal database.
Retrode has a similar principle, but that has no delusions in being a 5-in-one hardware console.

I'm fairly certain the Retrode actually reads the ROM and reads/writes the SRAM in the carts, presenting them as files in an emulated mass storage device. In fact, someone made an adapter for the Genesis slot to read/write VB carts.

Anyway, my two cents about the Retro5 (and its ilk) is that, you might as well keep your carts sealed/stored/displayed/whatever, and use emulation, which is a lot cheaper (essentially free). No matter what any license agreement or copyright law says, there's nothing morally wrong with playing a game you own without using the actual cartridge it came in.

Emulators can even make your HD LED TV look like a crunchy, old NTSC (Never The Same Color ) CRT, for that authentic nostalgia experience (except you don't have to take the ROM file out and blow on it a few times )

Posted on: 2014/9/22 3:22
Virtual Freak
Joined 2014/8/31
USA
83 Posts
Long Time User (5 Years)App Coder
Part of what bothers me re: using emulation as a hardware replacement (i.e. Hardware with a CPU/OS kernel solely dedicated to console emulation) is that consumers WILL most probably stumble upon behavior that's not consistent with the real hardware. That breaks the immersion and authenticity of the experience of the consoles being brought back from the dead.

The only emulator I'm aware of so far that can justifiably advertise itself as cycle-accurate is higan (the SNES portion specifically). In short, I wish there wasn't a market for these types of products until more consoles are emulated to the cycle-accurate level.

Posted on: 2014/9/22 21:53
PVB Elite
Joined 2003/7/26
USA
1465 Posts
PVBCC EntryCoderContributorSpecial AchievementTop10 PosterHOTY09 EntryLong Time User (15 Years) App Coder20+ Game RatingsPVBCC 2013 Entry
Quote:

cr1901 wrote:
Part of what bothers me re: using emulation as a hardware replacement (i.e. Hardware with a CPU/OS kernel solely dedicated to console emulation) is that consumers WILL most probably stumble upon behavior that's not consistent with the real hardware. That breaks the immersion and authenticity of the experience of the consoles being brought back from the dead.

The only emulator I'm aware of so far that can justifiably advertise itself as cycle-accurate is higan (the SNES portion specifically). In short, I wish there wasn't a market for these types of products until more consoles are emulated to the cycle-accurate level.

I guess it's the pragmatist in me, but cycle-/pixel-/whatever-accuracy has never even been on my list when looking for an emulator. The way I see it, the point is to play games. If you can play the game that the original authors of the game envisioned, and do 99+% of the stuff they put in said game, that's as accurate as it needs to be.

If you're noticing that the colors are off by half a shade, or the background layer scrolls one pixel too far to the right in the 3rd level, are you actually having fun playing the game?

In some cases, the designers ran up against the limitations of the hardware (see: NES sprites-per-line limit). Thanks to emulation, some of those limitations can be lifted, and you can actually get closer to the game they envisioned, by being less accurate (and probably enjoy the game more, besides).

That's not to say that perfect preservation isn't a lofty goal, it's just not all that important when it comes right down to it (especially if the information required to achieve that accuracy is available for reference by future generations).

Posted on: 2014/10/4 9:00
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2013/8/23
USA
301 Posts
Long Time User (6 Years)
I felt bad for my Saturn just sitting there, unplayed, so I splurged on a copy of Norse By Norsewest (the Lost Vikings sequel). It's really good so far, definitely has some challenging levels and interesting graphics. I mentioned the game to my friends and we all thought the same thing, we remembered ads in GamePro or other magazines but none of us had ever played it before :). I'll track down the first one soon...

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post