Re: Virtual Girl!
Posted on: 2014/7/29 4:22
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2011/7/3
USA
435 Posts
CoderContributorLong Time User (8 Years) App Coder40+ Game Ratings
retronintendonerd wroteQuote:
Maybe you and your son can do a joint project to make a virtual kid :)

Maybe someday Retro. If I did a Virtual Kid mod I would have to ask a ton of questions. Just please keep your process documented OK.

Posted on: 2014/7/29 4:46
PVB Elite
Joined 2014/6/4
USA
572 Posts
Long Time User (5 Years)20+ Game Ratings
That won't be difficult. Honestly, it was so simple my dog probably could have done it. The most annoying/difficult part was removing the 2 screws in the VB that you need an extended bit to reach. I used Valspar brand spray paint & primer in 1. Each item has about 2-3 coats on it. The logo is going to be done with a stencil and some of the paint I bought. I was going to have a friend cut me the logo in vinyl but paint is a much more official look to it. Using the Virtual Boy font someone here made up, I will just mess around until I get the correct sized font and secure the stencil over the spots and spray over it. If this makes no sense sorry, it's late here right now lol

NEEDED TOOLS/ITEMS:
- Virtual Boy + controller (optional)
- At least 1 color/can of spray paint (the 2 in 1 primer and paints work best)
- Small-med phillips head screwdriver
- Extended special screwdriver for security screws
- Work area that's paint-friendly
- Screw/parts holding container
- Printer + paper
- Precise cutting tool/Exacto Knife
- This font: http://www.planetvb.com/modules/newbb ... ASC&type=&mode=0&start=20

Step 1: Remove eye cover and then remove all security screws from bottom of system except ones over cartridge slot. The 2 on either side of the cartridge slot are a huge PITA so an extended bit is needed.

Step 2: Remove black underside to reveal internals and remove several small phillips screws (three I think). Gently lift internal components (should come out as 1 piece) and set aside.

Step 3: Unscrew 4 small phillips head screws that hold the focus knobs into system and remove. Set aside screws and white plastic pieces and put the knobs and empty top half of your VB shell in your work area and get ready to get dirty!

Step 4: Paint the inside of all the pieces first so that you can lay it down without messing up paint on the other side. Repeat process on the outside of the pieces.

Step 5: Print out your new logo on sturdy card paper (72 pt font for shell) and cut out the letters with the knife, thus creating a stencil.

Step 6: Cover the shell with newspaper or plastic to protect the rest of it from unwanted paint. Then secure the stencil to the shell and gently spray paint over the stencil.

Step 7: CAREFULLY remove your stencil and let the paint dry

CONTROLLER GUIDE (optional):

Step 1: Open up the controller with a small phillips screwdriver (10 screws total)

Step 2: Unscrew the board and set aside.

Step 3: Lift up the rubber to reveal buttons and just simply remove.

Step 4: Paint your buttons

Step 5: While your buttons dry, you can prepare to apply the logo. Take some fine grit sandpaper or acetone (nail polish remover) and remove the existing logo.

Step 5: Print out your new logo on sturdy card paper (72 pt font for shell) and cut out the letters with the knife, thus creating a stencil.

Step 6: Cover the controller with newspaper or plastic to protect the rest of it from unwanted paint. Then secure the stencil to the shell and gently spray paint over the stencil.

Edited by retronintendonerd on 2014/7/29 5:29
Edited by retronintendonerd on 2014/7/29 5:32

Posted on: 2014/7/29 5:51
PVB Elite
Joined 2013/6/17
Canada
1155 Posts
Top10 Poster10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (6 Years)
Wow, it's looking awesome! Good job!

Posted on: 2014/7/29 14:30
PVB Elite
Joined 2014/6/4
USA
572 Posts
Quote:

speedyink wrote:
Wow, it's looking awesome! Good job!

Thanks! I'm putting on the finishing touches as we speak. All that's left are these damn logos now that I got my printer working

Posted on: 2014/7/29 16:44
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2011/7/3
USA
435 Posts
CoderContributorLong Time User (8 Years) App Coder40+ Game Ratings
retronintendonerd wrote Quote:

Wow Retro, thanks for all of those steps!

Posted on: 2014/7/29 16:51
PVB Elite
Joined 2014/6/4
USA
572 Posts
Quote:

morintari wrote:
retronintendonerd wrote Quote:

Wow Retro, thanks for all of those steps!

I'll have pictures to go with the teardown steps as soon as I finish up the project.

Also, the size for the fonts were only placeholders. If a mod can edit the sizes on my writeup post that'd be great.

The actual font sizes are as follows:
Controller: 28 pt
Shell: 43 pt

EDIT: Progress has come to a stand still at the moment while I wait on my logo to be made into a vinyl stencil so it's easier to paint on.
Edited by retronintendonerd on 2014/7/29 17:54

Posted on: 2014/7/29 22:12
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2012/12/4
418 Posts
CoderLong Time User (6 Years)
This thread reminds me of something, but I just can't seem to put my finger on it.

Posted on: 2014/7/29 22:16
PVB Elite
Joined 2014/6/4
USA
572 Posts
Haha that is awesome! I had no idea that thread even existed. That one came out great!

Posted on: 2014/7/30 4:39
PVB Elite
Joined 2003/7/25
USA
1507 Posts
PVBCC 1stCoderContributor#3 PosterHOTY09 EntryLong Time User (15 Years) App CoderPVBCC 2010 EntryPVBCC 2013 Entry
I also painted one of my shells years ago: http://www.projectvb.com/painting.html .

There was also someone who painted theirs white (I don't remember exactly what the deal was, but I kinda remember someone trying to sell it as a "RARE Prototype").

DogP
Edited by DogP on 2014/7/30 4:51

Posted on: 2014/7/30 6:16
PVB Elite
Joined 2003/7/26
USA
1465 Posts
PVBCC EntryCoderContributorSpecial AchievementTop10 PosterHOTY09 EntryLong Time User (15 Years) App Coder20+ Game RatingsPVBCC 2013 Entry
Quote:

retronintendonerd wrote:
… I was going to have a friend cut me the logo in vinyl but paint is a much more official look to it.

Why are they mutually exclusive? Just cut the vinyl as a negative, and use it as a stencil.

EDIT: D'oh! I didn't read the rest of the thread…

Quote:
Using the Virtual Boy font someone here made up …

*raises hand*
Edited by RunnerPack on 2014/7/30 6:28
Edited by RunnerPack on 2014/7/30 6:29

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post