Register To Post

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Attempts to locate Dragon Hopper?
Posted on: 2014/4/23 16:01
Joined 2014/4/17
USA
6 Posts
Long Time User (5 Years)
Forgive me if this was already discussed, but has anyone attempted to contact the author of the article who reviewed Dragon Hopper in Nintendo Power to ask what happened to his review copy?

I realize that with the magazine going defunct years ago makes tracking the guy down more difficult, but that's where I would start. If he didn't have the cart currently in his possession (wouldn't that be nice?) he may know what happened to it after he was finished with it.

Re: Attempts to locate Dragon Hopper?
Posted on: 2014/4/23 20:01
Nintendoid!
Joined 2013/3/25
217 Posts
Long Time User (6 Years)
He probably sent it back to NOA like every other review copy that goes to Nintendo Power.

Finding a prototype like this is always difficult. Most unreleased protos end up surfacing on auction sites or through forums on their own. If they don't, making one surface significantly harder.

If we had a staff list for Dragon Hopper, one could try contacting the NOA specific employees that worked on the game, like translators.

Posted on: 2014/4/23 22:42
Joined 2014/4/17
USA
6 Posts
Long Time User (5 Years)
The reviewer might know the name of the individual who received the games from NOA or at least point us in the right direction (provided they remember what they did with the thing almost 20 years ago). Otherwise he could get us in contact with someone else who might know. I'm just thinking that we know who *had* the cartridge. We just have to try to retrace their steps.

A staff list would be nice, as one of them may even have source code in their portfolio (which is all we really need anyway).

I refuse to believe that this game is buried in a landfill somewhere never to be enjoyed again...

Posted on: 2014/4/24 3:06
PVB Elite
Joined 2013/6/17
Canada
1155 Posts
Top10 Poster10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (6 Years)
There had to be a few prototype carts I would think. It was playable at E3, which had to have been on more than one unit, looking at the videos there were a few Virtual Boys to set up.

Apparently one of the carts is owned by someone who treats it like their baby and most likely won't ever part with it or dump it, because they feel elite or something owning the only known copy. Childish, really.

Hopefully another cart surfaces though, I would love to play the game.

Posted on: 2014/4/24 4:22
PVB Elite
Joined 2003/7/25
USA
1507 Posts
PVBCC 1stCoderContributor#3 PosterHOTY09 EntryLong Time User (15 Years) App CoderPVBCC 2010 EntryPVBCC 2013 Entry
Just play the game through to the end and write down all the names in the credits... then contact each of them and see if any of them can help. ;)

DogP

Posted on: 2014/4/24 14:05
Virtual Freak
Joined 2012/7/7
USA
57 Posts
10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (7 Years)
I worked for a game magazine in the early 2000s.

Generally but not always cartridge prototypes/reviewables were returned to the publisher. There are a few exceptions to this for example when the publisher went out of business (SNK USA and the Neo-Geo pocket color for example). But usually these were returned and then re-written to another reviewable.

Posted on: 2014/4/24 15:22
Joined 2014/4/17
USA
6 Posts
Long Time User (5 Years)
Even if the review cart itself was overwritten, someone must have the ROM used to image them, or know where they went.

Does anyone know what steps were already taken to locate the game?

Posted on: 2014/4/24 17:15
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2011/7/3
USA
435 Posts
CoderContributorLong Time User (8 Years) App Coder40+ Game Ratings
If this has been already stated I apologize. But We know it came from Intelligent systems. why doesn't someone find a game that came out for the SNES at the time of the making of Dragon Hopper then someone play it on an EMU so you could pause the game and as DogP stated play the game to the end and write down the names. I think that this would be the best plan of action.:VB:

Posted on: 2014/4/24 18:50
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2009/8/2
USA
256 Posts
Contributor10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (10 Years)
Intelligent Systems developed Galactic Pinball. It's possible that someone who worked on the game could have also worked on Dragon Hopper.

Posted on: 2014/4/24 19:13
Nintendoid!
Joined 2007/7/29
111 Posts
Long Time User (12 Years)
Please, have at it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmHIseNDa9s

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post