Register To Post

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Re: [ENTRY] Game Boy Emulator
Posted on: 2014/3/9 14:46
VB Gamer
Joined 2008/8/31
Germany
41 Posts
PVBCC 2ndHighscore Top10 2ndHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreCoderLong Time User (10 Years) 20+ Game RatingsPVBCC 2013 1st
After fixing my glitchy displays, I finally fixed that annoying flickering.
I also improved the emulation speed for a few games.

Attach file:

zip gbemu_140309.zip Size: 26.04 KB; Hits: 239

Posted on: 2014/3/9 16:41
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/7/1
Germany
1109 Posts
CoderContributorTop10 PosterLong Time User (8 Years) App CoderPVBCC 2013 Entry
Quote:

M.K. wrote:
After fixing my glitchy displays, I finally fixed that annoying flickering.
I also improved the emulation speed for a few games.

Just gave at a short try. Good job on fixing that flickering. Super Mario Land is now as good as glitch free. I also noticed that it's not as slow anymore as before.

Also tried Metroid II again. I don't what you changed but it seems more glitch free as well. Before I would always fall in an endless pit of glitches right after the beginning. Now I could play without problems for quite some time.

Posted on: 2014/3/9 17:06
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2010/10/22
Sweden
343 Posts
ContributorLong Time User (8 Years) 30+ Game Ratings
I got Chalvo 55 to work (without sound). Felt nice to play that on a VB :)

Super Mario Land worked with sound but the framerate went downward as the stages went on.

Mega Man 2 didn't work at all.

And for some reason, only on the first try did the injection work, all other times no matter what roms of what size, the file always became 4 MB, which is too big.

Posted on: 2014/3/9 19:07
PVB Elite
Joined 2013/6/17
Canada
1127 Posts
Top10 Poster10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (6 Years)
Nice update MK! The glitching has practically disappeared. Good job, man!

Proto, Did you perchance name your output file gbemu.vb? That would make whatever games you flashed that time to permanently be injected into the emulator. I accidentally did that once, just wasn't thinking. I just redownloaded it and all is good now.

Posted on: 2014/3/9 23:15
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/3/10
USA
900 Posts
Top10 PosterLong Time User (8 Years) 30+ Game Ratings
Quote:

Protoman85 wrote:
all other times no matter what roms of what size, the file always became 4 MB

it sounds like you were adding roms to a previous compilation. you should always double check that you are injecting roms to a clean copy of the emulator.

Posted on: 2014/3/13 17:00
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2013/8/23
USA
301 Posts
Long Time User (6 Years)
This is amazing! I, too, hope you keep working on this project. To some extent, I have lost interest in the GameBoy due to the overall color/graphics. But your emulator would make games playable again since sharp red and black 3D graphics are a HUGE upgrade.

Maybe someone can help me...I feel like I'm still doing something wrong with the setup. I've gotten it to work a few times, but it often happens that I get a 1MB output file, pad it to 2MB, and then the menu is blank once I get the loaded FlashBoy into my console. Last night, I tried using ">rominjector.exe gbemu.vb rom1.gb rom2.gb", and I feel like that did in fact work. Then this morning, I had to re-download the program or it would say "0KB read, 65886 expected!" or whatever. Of note, when it worked last night, it WAS a 4MB file, and my FlashBoy would only flash to 50%...but the ROMs I had loaded definitely worked on my VB.

Posted on: 2014/3/13 17:24
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/7/1
Germany
1109 Posts
CoderContributorTop10 PosterLong Time User (8 Years) App CoderPVBCC 2013 Entry
Quote:

HP Lovethrash wrote:
This is amazing! I, too, hope you keep working on this project. To some extent, I have lost interest in the GameBoy due to the overall color/graphics. But your emulator would make games playable again since sharp red and black 3D graphics are a HUGE upgrade.

Maybe someone can help me...I feel like I'm still doing something wrong with the setup. I've gotten it to work a few times, but it often happens that I get a 1MB output file, pad it to 2MB, and then the menu is blank once I get the loaded FlashBoy into my console. Last night, I tried using ">rominjector.exe gbemu.vb rom1.gb rom2.gb", and I feel like that did in fact work. Then this morning, I had to re-download the program or it would say "0KB read, 65886 expected!" or whatever. Of note, when it worked last night, it WAS a 4MB file, and my FlashBoy would only flash to 50%...but the ROMs I had loaded definitely worked on my VB.

padding somehow breaks the rom. You have to put enough .gb files to reach 2mb. You can use the same one multiple times.

Posted on: 2014/3/14 0:30
PVB Elite
Joined 2003/7/26
USA
1464 Posts
PVBCC EntryCoderContributorSpecial AchievementTop10 PosterHOTY09 EntryLong Time User (15 Years) App Coder20+ Game RatingsPVBCC 2013 Entry
Quote:

HP Lovethrash wrote:
Last night, I tried using ">rominjector.exe gbemu.vb rom1.gb rom2.gb"

You shouldn't give the output ROM the same name as the "empty" emulator. After a quick look at the code, the injector doesn't seem to make any check to prevent overwriting the original. (@MK, you probably should have stuck with the name "gbemu.bin" for the empty emulator binary.)

Posted on: 2014/3/14 3:04
VB Gamer
Joined 2008/8/31
Germany
41 Posts
PVBCC 2ndHighscore Top10 2ndHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreCoderLong Time User (10 Years) 20+ Game RatingsPVBCC 2013 1st
Here's an updated injector. I added automatic padding and renamed the empty emu to gbemu.bin.

Attach file:

zip gbemu_140309b.zip Size: 27.08 KB; Hits: 272

Posted on: 2014/3/14 4:09
Nintendoid!
Joined 2012/10/16
201 Posts
Long Time User (6 Years)
Still awesome, any chance we can get saving in the future?

thx

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post