Posted on: 2014/3/2 0:54
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/7/1
Germany
1115 Posts
CoderContributorTop10 PosterLong Time User (8 Years) App CoderPVBCC 2013 Entry
Quote:

RunnerPack wrote:
It's a great concept, and well executed. Sadly, I have to give it lower marks due to two things:

1. The lack of diagonal movement – one fewer "else" statement would have made it so much better :/
2. The use of ripped, 2-D graphics, with no attempt to add depth (other than simple parallax).

Obviously a full game would be more complex. Diagonal movement is a matter of clicking some boxes in my tool. I just didn't do it because I wanted keep things simple.

I'm not much of an artist so I had to use existing graphics for the demo. Drawing parallax graphics all by myself would have taken way to much time.

Re: [ENTRY] Mario Combat
Posted on: 2014/3/2 21:55
Nintendoid!
Joined 2012/10/16
202 Posts
Long Time User (7 Years)
Awesome, I would love to see something more "nintendo" for the gun, i.e. a super scope or zapper. Less Doomy ;)

Posted on: 2014/3/2 22:06
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2010/10/22
Sweden
343 Posts
ContributorLong Time User (9 Years) 30+ Game Ratings
I for one have no objections to ripped sprites

Posted on: 2014/3/3 0:14
PVB Elite
Joined 2003/7/25
USA
1507 Posts
PVBCC 1stCoderContributor#3 PosterHOTY09 EntryLong Time User (15 Years) App CoderPVBCC 2010 EntryPVBCC 2013 Entry
I think this would make a great full game, along the lines of Yoshi's Safari, maybe mixed with Space Harrier (we've got 2 D-Pads, maybe the character could move to dodge stuff, as well as aim).

DogP

Posted on: 2014/3/3 1:35
Nintendoid!
Joined 2012/10/16
202 Posts
Long Time User (7 Years)
Quote:

DogP wrote:
I think this would make a great full game, along the lines of Yoshi's Safari, maybe mixed with Space Harrier (we've got 2 D-Pads, maybe the character could move to dodge stuff, as well as aim).

DogP

I'd love to see something like that, similar to the boss from Wario Land that attacks you by jumping back and forth, but you could shoot him while dodging.

Posted on: 2014/3/3 20:31
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2005/9/17
USA
312 Posts
Long Time User (14 Years)
Quote:
Thunderstruck wrote:

I actually spend a month or so on build a supporting tool first. It is basically a tool that allows me to convert images, define sprites, build animations, create levels and objects and assign actions to those objects (like moving/jump something around, flicker, trigger an animation and so on). Actions can trigger other actions so you can build allot of stuff just buy using the tool and not coding. The tool itself might have been a good submission as well but it is not in a state that I would be proud of it.

As someone who cannot program much, a polished version of this tool sounds like it would be very awesome to help make more games!

Of course, work on what you want, man. If you're not having fun with it, then you're doing "hobby" wrong, haha. :)

Great submission! Can't wait to check it out on my VB! And thank you SO MUCH for including the source! I'm not a programmer, but I do aspire... :)

Posted on: 2014/3/4 21:09
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2003/9/3
Sweden
442 Posts
PVBCC EntryHighscore Top10 3rdCoderContributorHOTY09 2ndLong Time User (15 Years) DonatorApp CoderPVBCC 2010 1st20+ Game RatingsPVBCC 2013 2nd
This is a great entry, thunder! Addictive gameplay, good looks, and HARD(!) like an arcade shooting range. A full game would be sweet!

Posted on: 2014/3/5 14:28
Joined 2014/1/20
8 Posts
Long Time User (5 Years)
Great job, this game is awesome. Should definitely make a full game. I would want one for sure!

Posted on: 2014/3/7 1:39
Nintendoid!
Joined 2014/1/3
USA
168 Posts
Long Time User (5 Years)40+ Game Ratings
Great demo. It looks and plays like a licensed release. Very promising for just a demo.

Posted on: 2014/7/1 0:18
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/4/27
USA
2293 Posts
Highscore Top10 1stHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreCollection Top10 1stContributor#2 PosterLong Time User (8 Years) 30+ Game Ratings
I managed to beat Mario Combat on level hard this evening. Thanks so much, thunderstruck, for the special mention in the game. This was actually my favorite demo of the competition, to be honest. I hope you'll get a chance to add some more levels to it sometime down the road.

Attach file:

jpg  Mario Combat Level Hard End Screen.JPG (230.23 KB)
1643_53b1e2263a9eb.jpg 1656X1048 px

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post