You are not logged in.
Lost Password?

Register To Post

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Re: Virtual Boy Development - Publishing titles?
Posted on: 2014/2/18 2:02
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/3/10
USA
922 Posts
Top10 PosterLong Time User (8 Years) 30+ Game Ratings
this may interest you: http://www.planetvb.com/content/downloads/documents/stsvb.html

Posted on: 2014/2/18 19:29
Nintendoid!
Joined 2013/3/25
218 Posts
Long Time User (6 Years)
You could still use your custom scripting language on Virtual Boy, but your games will lack efficiency and thus be sluggish. A JRPG would work quite well, a fast paced action game or shooter, no. Any game that would require a lot of calculations during gameplay would see a drop in speed with a high level language instead of C or ASM. You can hide calculations behind the JRPG's normally slow nature.

Posted on: 2014/2/18 21:01
Nintendoid!
Joined 2007/12/14
169 Posts
CoderLong Time User (12 Years) App Coder
Quote:

affection wrote:
Do you think I could use the Flash memory from the FlashBoy to off load some of the files from RAM? Also is there any VRAM in the VB or does it just use the normal RAM for graphics?

If you include the OAM area, which is shared between the graphics processor and the CPU, then the VB has a grand total of almost 200K of usable RAM, but this area of memory is physically located elsewhere on the motherboard and isn't as fast as the WRAM (http://www.planetvb.com/modules/newbb ... php?topic_id=5369&forum=2) The Flash memory on the FlashBoy is an EEPROM which is programmed using the FlashBoy software on a Windows PC. Once programmed it's no different than ROM to the VB itself. A good idea as mentioned in my previous post is to precompile graphics and lookup tables into ROM, rather than generating them dynamically in the sparse RAM, especially if they're static once created.

Posted on: 2014/2/21 12:47
VB Gamer
Joined 2014/2/10
Great Britain
12 Posts
Long Time User (6 Years)
Quote:

blitter wrote:
Quote:

affection wrote:
Do you think I could use the Flash memory from the FlashBoy to off load some of the files from RAM? Also is there any VRAM in the VB or does it just use the normal RAM for graphics?

If you include the OAM area, which is shared between the graphics processor and the CPU, then the VB has a grand total of almost 200K of usable RAM, but this area of memory is physically located elsewhere on the motherboard and isn't as fast as the WRAM (http://www.planetvb.com/modules/newbb ... php?topic_id=5369&forum=2) The Flash memory on the FlashBoy is an EEPROM which is programmed using the FlashBoy software on a Windows PC. Once programmed it's no different than ROM to the VB itself. A good idea as mentioned in my previous post is to precompile graphics and lookup tables into ROM, rather than generating them dynamically in the sparse RAM, especially if they're static once created.

Wow, 200kb? I know it was under powered by I never knew by that much. I think I'll just write the games in ASM intead really and not bother with the Virtual Boy Target. it's a shame really as I was really hoping to make a console like experience with minimum ease. Anyway, thanks for that URL, that'll definitely come in handy.

Posted on: 2014/2/22 20:01
Nintendoid!
Joined 2013/3/25
218 Posts
Long Time User (6 Years)
Well, it is a bit silly to expect so much from the Virtual Boy. This was 1995, with expensive LED displays and mechanical oscillating mirrors, not to mention the the manufacturing costs... There wasn't much room to offer a Playstation here. It's easiest to treat the Virtual Boy like a "16-bit" successor to the Game Boy, with a really big screen resolution.

Posted on: 2014/2/22 20:44
PVB Elite
Joined 2008/12/28
Slovenia
635 Posts
Highscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreCoderContributor10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (11 Years) App CoderPVBCC 2010 EntryPVBCC 2013 Entry
I don't think you should give up before even starting. The VB may have only 64K of WRAM but that didn't stop T&E from making Red Alarm, a game with huge and detailed 3D levels, which, by the way, uses 24K of that RAM just for the replay buffer.

On PCs and disk-based consoles, you have to load data from disk to memory before you can use it. On cartridge-based consoles, the CPU can access ROM data as if it were RAM, so this means you really only need the WRAM for the game state.

And 20 MHz is probably faster than you think. It isn't quite fast enough for texture-mapped 3D graphics but probably fast enough for pretty much anything else. So I don't think you'll have to throw away your scripting language, although writing the interpreter (or parts of it) in assembly is not a bad idea if you really need it to be that fast.

Maybe if you gave us some examples of games you would like to port, we would be able to suggest optimizations. You will certainly need to cut down on graphic quality etc. but I think nobody has used the VB yet to its full potential.

Posted on: 2014/2/26 22:45
VB Gamer
Joined 2014/2/10
Great Britain
12 Posts
Long Time User (6 Years)
Quote:

HorvatM wrote:
I don't think you should give up before even starting. The VB may have only 64K of WRAM but that didn't stop T&E from making Red Alarm, a game with huge and detailed 3D levels, which, by the way, uses 24K of that RAM just for the replay buffer.

I'm not giving up or anything, I'm just merely rethinking my strategy on how I'm going to tattle development on Virtual Boy.

Quote:

HorvatM wrote:
On PCs and disk-based consoles, you have to load data from disk to memory before you can use it. On cartridge-based consoles, the CPU can access ROM data as if it were RAM, so this means you really only need the WRAM for the game state.

Really? That is awesome! I've not done much in the way of cartridge development so that is awesome!

Quote:

HorvatM wrote:
And 20 MHz is probably faster than you think. It isn't quite fast enough for texture-mapped 3D graphics but probably fast enough for pretty much anything else. So I don't think you'll have to throw away your scripting language, although writing the interpreter (or parts of it) in assembly is not a bad idea if you really need it to be that fast.

Yeah,I might as well write an interpreter for my scripting language.

Maybe if you gave us some examples of games you would like to port, we would be able to suggest optimizations. You will certainly need to cut down on graphic quality etc. but I think nobody has used the VB yet to its full potential.

Okay, I'm currently developing a side scrolling hand-drawn Hack 'n' Slash RPG. Here is a screen shot. (VERY MUCH IN WIP)

Attach file:

png  wildfire picture for vb.png (791.85 KB)
3975_530e617cf3bb2.png 649X693 px

Posted on: 2014/2/27 3:02
PVB Elite
Joined 2013/6/17
Canada
1198 Posts
Top10 Poster10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (6 Years)
I must say it'd be really awesome to have a game like that on the VB.

Posted on: 2014/2/27 20:37
Nintendoid!
Joined 2013/3/25
218 Posts
Long Time User (6 Years)
Probably the biggest hurdle you'll face with Virtual Boy is trying to wrap your head around creating 3D graphics. The good VB games always make use of it, by giving some graphics more depth than others, or making then appear far away and close.

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post