Lost Password?

Register To Post

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Red Metal Progess Report
Posted on: 2013/10/22 18:03
Joined 2013/7/22
USA
7 Posts
10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (6 Years)
So basically for the past month I have been compiling sprites to be used in my game. This is especially difficult considering the rarity of the game I am remaking for the Virtual Boy. This is Snatcher for the MSX/PC88. So far I have compiling the sprites in game based on location and have been writing down the text that goes along with each screen. I will probably only have a demo by January, From Intro to Factory)but I hope you all like it. I wonder if it will strain the eyes considering it's a text heavy game <.<

Re: Red Metal Progess Report
Posted on: 2013/10/22 18:35
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2012/12/4
418 Posts
CoderLong Time User (6 Years)
Snatcher was a good title; I'm glad you decided to remake it. And to have it formally in English would be a big bonus. (-:

Posted on: 2013/10/22 19:24
PVB Elite
Joined 2007/10/26
USA
757 Posts
ContributorTop10 PosterLong Time User (11 Years) Donator
Can't wait for the demo :)

Posted on: 2013/10/22 20:55
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/3/10
USA
907 Posts
Top10 PosterLong Time User (8 Years) 30+ Game Ratings
i've always enjoyed snatcher. i am a little bit biased toward the sega cd release because it was a complete game with a localized english translation. the initial release cut off after act-2, they never included the planned ending. then again the sega cd release was censored for a non-japanese audience.

this would be a really fun game to see on the virtual boy. i find the red/black graphics to be incredibly soothing. i really do not think that it being text heavy will cause many problems.

Posted on: 2013/10/23 2:22
Nintendoid!
Joined 2012/10/16
202 Posts
Long Time User (7 Years)
Very interesting. Good luck!

Posted on: 2013/10/23 20:24
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2005/9/17
USA
312 Posts
Long Time User (14 Years)
ooOOOOOoooo, Snatcher's one of my holy grails, so this would be excellent!

Posted on: 2013/10/23 21:56
VB Gamer
Joined 2010/10/19
France
37 Posts
10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (9 Years)
Nice !

Do you think you can fit the entire game in a 2Mo rom ?

Posted on: 2013/10/24 1:27
Joined 2013/7/22
USA
7 Posts
10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (6 Years)
Hopefully, but I doubt I would be able to. I would probably run into the same problem that Guy Perfect ran into when trying to port F-Zero over to the VB. The game will probably be in three parts, much like the three acts in the sega cd version (sort of like a trilogy :) ). Acts 1 and 2 will be easier to make due to the abundance of most of the 8-bit sprites available online, but Act 3 will have to be converted from the Sega Cd's 16 bit graphics to 8 bit, so the VB won't be overloaded. Thank you all for so much support, I hope the finished product is a proud title for the VB.

Posted on: 2013/10/24 1:52
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/3/10
USA
907 Posts
Top10 PosterLong Time User (8 Years) 30+ Game Ratings
the fact that you want to include act-3 is rather amazing. there was talk about upgrading the reproduction carts if/when the street fighter game is completed. it isn't out of the realm of possibility that perhaps your finished game could see a reproduction run, complete with box and manual.

i have not viewed the msx version of snatcher for years. do you feel the graphics will merge well with the sega cd sprites? i also can't recall what parts were censored when the game was brought to the sega cd. was there anything in act-3 that would need to be addressed and/or uncensored?

i don't know how you feel about the nudity found in the original game. i feel it was how the game was designed to be, and representative of a dystopian future. i always felt that they hurt the integrity of the game by removing it, yet i fully understand why they did it for the younger american audience.

if you are going to bring over the 3rd act, have you given any consideration to the extended intro that was added to the sega cd version?

since the snatcher DS demo was release, i've wanted to see a remake/port to another system. the 3d environments of the vb would be really great for this game. keep up the good work!

Posted on: 2013/10/24 21:49
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2007/7/28
Great Britain
336 Posts
Long Time User (12 Years) App Coder
Quote:
there was talk about upgrading the reproduction carts

I've got a PCB designed for 32MBit games if that's any good ?

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post