Register To Post

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Flashing ROM via Android?
Posted on: 2013/8/27 4:38

Joined 2011/3/10
USA
-1 Posts
Top10 PosterLong Time User (9 Years) 30+ Game Ratings
I'm familiar with programming concepts but have not written anything beyond mIRC script for many years. This would not be a project I would be able to complete nor do I expect anyone here to do this for me. Instead I would like to know the possibility of an application that would allow users to flash their Flash Boy/Flash Boy+ via their Android phone? I envision a micro-to-mini USB cable or adapter, the ROMs sitting in a folder on a microSD card, and an application. The application would browse the directory or phone for .VB files, display them, and offer "erase" and "flash" buttons. A feature of my dreams would be for the application to pad the ROMs before flashing them and also to have a way to apply IPS patches. This way the original ROMs are never altered and users would only need to keep 1 set of ROMs on their microSD card.

From a technical standpoint, is this even possible? What type of knowledge would one need to have to make this happen?

Due to the limited number of Flash Boy users, I feel that there would not be enough interest to approach Android coding communities, but I may be wrong. This could very well be a weekend project for someone who is interested in helping out a retro gaming community.

My reason for asking and for starting this thread is that my phone is always with me, but my computer is not. I do travel with my Virtual Boy at times and can not always do much beyond describing various hacks, translations, and prototypes.

Re: Flashing ROM via Android?
Posted on: 2013/8/27 5:19

Joined 2012/8/5
USA
-1 Posts
CoderLong Time User (7 Years) PVBCC 2013 3rd
I have written a few simple android apps and my first thought would be it is probably possible. Just about all android programs are written in java. I've never used a flash boy but assuming it uses a standard usb storage device interface I doubt it would be very difficult to create a simple app.

Posted on: 2013/8/27 10:12

Joined 2008/12/28
Slovenia
-1 Posts
Highscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreCoderContributor10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (11 Years) App CoderPVBCC 2010 EntryPVBCC 2013 Entry
Quote:

Greg Stevens wrote:
I've never used a flash boy but assuming it uses a standard usb storage device interface I doubt it would be very difficult to create a simple app.

It does not.

http://www.planetvb.com/modules/newbb ... ost_id=8666#forumpost8666

Posted on: 2013/8/27 13:43

Joined 2012/8/5
USA
-1 Posts
CoderLong Time User (7 Years) PVBCC 2013 3rd
Soo maybe not so easy... But still possible I think.

Posted on: 2013/8/27 17:05

Joined 2011/7/1
Germany
-1 Posts
CoderContributorTop10 PosterLong Time User (9 Years) App CoderPVBCC 2013 Entry
Not all android phones can be operated as an USB host. Some of the Samsung phones can do it. On one of those devices it might be possible. I did quite allot android development but never tried this out.

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post