You are not logged in.
Lost Password?


Register To Post



 Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

#1
Wireframe Graphics and Sound demo
Posted on: 2013/3/2 23:15
Nintendoid!
Joined 2012/8/5
USA
117 Posts
CoderLong Time User (7 Years) PVBCC 2013 3rd
So after a huge learning curve to overcome and lots of trial and error I now have (what I believe anyway) to be a decent set of graphics functions for wire frame graphics. Here is a little demo I wipped up using these functions. I'm most happy with the line algorithm which automatically plots the parallax based on the z value while writing the pixels to the frame buffer. So parallax actually takes care of its self as the line is being plotted on a pixel by pixel basis. I haven't actually seen this on the Virtual Boy yet but my brother has and said it looks pretty good. My first attempt at this demo was a little hard on the eyes so I adjusted some values and hopefully this one is a little easier to look at. If you use the left d-pad you can move around a bit.

Attach file:


vb Starwars.vb Size: 64.00 KB; Hits: 172
Top

#2
Re: Wireframe Graphics and Sound demo
Posted on: 2013/3/2 23:47
PVB Elite
Joined 2008/12/28
Slovenia
631 Posts
Highscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreCoderContributor10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (10 Years) App CoderPVBCC 2010 EntryPVBCC 2013 Entry
This is great. I hope you make a full game out of this.
Top

#3
Re: Wireframe Graphics and Sound demo
Posted on: 2013/3/3 0:11
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/7/1
Germany
1118 Posts
CoderContributorTop10 PosterLong Time User (8 Years) App CoderPVBCC 2013 Entry
Argh, I was waiting for this and now I can't try it out until Wednesday. Did the sound work out the way wanted in the end?
Top

#4
Re: Wireframe Graphics and Sound demo
Posted on: 2013/3/3 1:29
Nintendoid!
Joined 2012/8/5
USA
117 Posts
CoderLong Time User (7 Years) PVBCC 2013 3rd
As far as sound the answer is yes and no. I ended up abandoning trying to use wav data and just composed a midi file using Musescore. I wrote a simple midi file parser using java and used it to calculate the interrupt timing I needed to play my song on the VB with a 20 microsecond timer. Ben has been my tester and although I was happy with getting a wav file to play the midi file makes it much easier to perform other code while the music is playing. Ben said he thought it would be a better experience anyway comparing it to your Game Hero game so I switched it up.

Thanks a bunch for the source code it helped me to quickly change my philosophy.
Top

#5
Re: Wireframe Graphics and Sound demo
Posted on: 2013/3/3 3:17
PVB Elite
Joined 2007/10/26
USA
757 Posts
ContributorTop10 PosterLong Time User (12 Years) Donator
AGGRR can't try this out either atm...anyone able to upload a few min to youtube ?

-Eric
Top

#6
Re: Wireframe Graphics and Sound demo
Posted on: 2013/3/3 10:44
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/7/1
Germany
1118 Posts
CoderContributorTop10 PosterLong Time User (8 Years) App CoderPVBCC 2013 Entry
Quote:

Greg Stevens wrote:
As far as sound the answer is yes and no. I ended up abandoning trying to use wav data and just composed a midi file using Musescore. I wrote a simple midi file parser using java and used it to calculate the interrupt timing I needed to play my song on the VB with a 20 microsecond timer. Ben has been my tester and although I was happy with getting a wav file to play the midi file makes it much easier to perform other code while the music is playing. Ben said he thought it would be a better experience anyway comparing it to your Game Hero game so I switched it up.

Thanks a bunch for the source code it helped me to quickly change my philosophy.


You actually got the fishbone sound code which is more advanced. I can sent you my midi converter when I'm back in Germany as well. Maybe it will work on your midi. what tool did you use to compse your midi?
Top

#7
Re: Wireframe Graphics and Sound demo
Posted on: 2013/3/3 20:26
Nintendoid!
Joined 2012/8/5
USA
117 Posts
CoderLong Time User (7 Years) PVBCC 2013 3rd
Quote:

what tool did you use to compse your midi?


I used a program called MuseScore.
http://musescore.org/en

It's really great. You can just compose the musical notes on a score and it plays it for you. It will also import a midi file into all the different tracks and display all the notes/tracks so you can take an existing one and easily modify it. I also attached my java program source code that converts midi files to VB code for me. It works pretty well for my needs. I designed this to be able to play individual tracks of a midi file and then export those tracks to VB code with relative ease. It's a console app so no gui but it just has a few options to it. It will also parse a wav file and generate output as well.

bigmak:

Also Ben said he would upload a few minutes of the demo to his youtube account sometime today. I recorded it in mednafen and there is a graphics glitch that doesn't seem to appear on the actual VB. The first few writes to the frame buffer don't seem to take in mednafen for some reason.

Attach file:


java soundconverter.java Size: 11.95 KB; Hits: 555
java MidiStatus.java Size: 0.15 KB; Hits: 136
Edited by Greg Stevens on 2013/3/3 20:58
Edited by Greg Stevens on 2013/3/3 20:59
Top

#8
Re: Wireframe Graphics and Sound demo
Posted on: 2013/3/3 21:20
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/7/1
Germany
1118 Posts
CoderContributorTop10 PosterLong Time User (8 Years) App CoderPVBCC 2013 Entry
Quote:

Greg Stevens wrote:
Quote:

what tool did you use to compse your midi?


I used a program called MuseScore.
http://musescore.org/en

It's really great. You can just compose the musical notes on a score and it plays it for you. It will also import a midi file into all the different tracks and display all the notes/tracks so you can take an existing one and easily modify it. I also attached my java program source code that converts midi files to VB code for me. It works pretty well for my needs. I designed this to be able to play individual tracks of a midi file and then export those tracks to VB code with relative ...


Hehe, that's pretty much what I did as well, I really should polish and release everything... Could you publish your midi so that I can compare results?
Top

#9
Re: Wireframe Graphics and Sound demo
Posted on: 2013/3/3 22:36
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/4/27
USA
2293 Posts
Highscore Top10 1stHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreCollection Top10Contributor#2 PosterLong Time User (8 Years) 30+ Game Ratings
I uploaded two videos that Greg made of his demo on YouTube.

The regular version played on Mednafen can be viewed here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_ko5-lVx20

The 3D version played on Mednafen can be viewed here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mr4YHJn6Nmw
Top

#10
Re: Wireframe Graphics and Sound demo
Posted on: 2013/3/3 22:49
Nintendoid!
Joined 2012/8/5
USA
117 Posts
CoderLong Time User (7 Years) PVBCC 2013 3rd
Quote:

Could you publish your midi so that I can compare results?


Here it is

Attach file:


mid StarWars.mid Size: 0.68 KB; Hits: 129
Top

 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic


Register To Post