Posted on: 2013/1/10 21:09
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/3/10
USA
930 Posts
Top10 PosterLong Time User (9 Years) 30+ Game Ratings
Quote:

thunderstruck wrote:

Actually, Mr. G said that he doesn't own the card but had the permission of the owner to publish pictures and videos. Thereby, I guess he wasn't the one who sold the card but Mr. Gs friend. Maybe should call the original owner Mr. X.

It is fairly obvious to me that Mr. G. had permission to "advertise" the proto. I personally believe that selling the cart was always "their" intention.

Re: Faceball release and details
Posted on: 2013/1/10 22:44
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2005/9/17
USA
314 Posts
Long Time User (14 Years)
Quote:

shenmueso wrote:
this is all very exciting! a never before seen VB game that was intended for legit release?
you really have gone above and beyond in acquiring the prototype, but it really doesn't sit well with me that some guy was holding on to it and then sold it for such a big amount. i mean unless that japanese guy was solely responsible for coding the entire game, it's really not his to sell like that and is a pretty anti-gamer thing to do to hold on to it in secret, only releasing it for big bucks. Even if he was on the staff that worked on it, it wasn't his money that financed it, it was nintendos. What would he have done with it if no one had stumped up the cash? and was he pimping it around to try and find a buyer? if no one else had ever offered the money, he would have had a worthless piece of plastic.

Anyone with a love for gaming wouldn't do this, i expect he was a money man for nintendo and somehow got a hold of it.

anyway, that's not a reflection on you bigmac, you're a legend. now if only someone would come forward with dragon hopper. lol

Well, in the end, we don't know how he acquired the cartridge. And when it comes to unreleased protos and rare game variants, it truly is a collector's market. Many collectors feel that the priced value of their "only copy in the world" proto massively diminishes once the game gets dumped -- that's why some people will have a "dumping price" before they'll let anyone touch the cart.

While I'd much prefer everyone share everything in the open, I do get it. They're trying to keep the value in their collection on top of its intrinsic value as a pile of games... but it would be nice for them to share as well.

Posted on: 2013/1/11 5:04
Nintendoid!
Joined 2012/10/16
209 Posts
Long Time User (7 Years)
I can't donate $200 dollars, but I'll donate something. Congrats on the purchase, sorry for the loss of the collection.

Wynd

Posted on: 2013/1/11 12:29
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/7/1
Germany
1151 Posts
CoderContributorTop10 PosterLong Time User (9 Years) App CoderPVBCC 2013 Entry
Quote:

Okonomiyaki wrote:

The unasked question that I was suggesting was that since (whomever it was, the super smart guy) figured out how to mess with the original rom in order to create the "remastered" version it stood as a possibility that they could somehow be merged in a single rom wrapper before being flashed?

I don't know if that guy is so super smart. I asked him to add online multiplayer for 64 users. He said 'it is technically not possible'. I mean, he probably could just copy some code from a game like Battlefield. I guess he is just lazy.

Posted on: 2013/1/11 12:44
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2003/9/3
Sweden
442 Posts
PVBCC EntryHighscore Top10 3rdCoderContributorHOTY09 2ndLong Time User (15 Years) DonatorApp CoderPVBCC 2010 1st20+ Game RatingsPVBCC 2013 2nd
Maybe you should ask the elves instead?

Posted on: 2013/1/11 16:34
PVB Elite
Joined 2008/12/28
Slovenia
636 Posts
Highscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreCoderContributor10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (11 Years) App CoderPVBCC 2010 EntryPVBCC 2013 Entry
Quote:

thunderstruck wrote:
Quote:

MineStorm wrote:
Quote:
I have no idea if this is technically possible. It is not like you can simply flash two VirtualBoy games on one card.

Both ROM's together should be under 2MBytes. So, couldn't you put in an option screen that lets you decide which version to run (when you first boot the cart) ?

I thought about that as well. I'm not sure if this would break the absolute addressing though... I guess someone smarter then may would have to do this.

Joining two ROMs into one is indeed possible, though it's not easy and the results aren't always perfect.

Here's a ROM that contains GameHero and Fishbone. When it starts, both displays will be blank. Press the L button for GameHero or R for Fishbone.

You might experience some glitches because most of the code patching was done by a program I wrote, and it's pretty much impossible for a program to guess everything correctly. Also, the games will overwrite each other's data on the SRAM and I didn't attempt to correct that. I also haven't tested the ROM on hardware.

For Faceball, you'd probably have an easier job because the ROMs would be similar and probably nothing too serious would happen if one game tried to read the data from the other game.

Attach file:

zip jointest.zip Size: 118.67 KB; Hits: 171

Posted on: 2013/1/11 18:31
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/7/1
Germany
1151 Posts
CoderContributorTop10 PosterLong Time User (9 Years) App CoderPVBCC 2013 Entry
Quote:

HorvatM wrote:
Quote:

thunderstruck wrote:
Quote:

MineStorm wrote:
Quote:
I have no idea if this is technically possible. It is not like you can simply flash two VirtualBoy games on one card.

Both ROM's together should be under 2MBytes. So, couldn't you put in an option screen that lets you decide which version to run (when you first boot the cart) ?

I thought about that as well. I'm not sure if this would break the absolute addressing though... I guess someone smarter then may would have to do this.

Joining two ROMs into one is indeed possible, though it's not easy and the results aren't always perfect.

Here's a ROM that contains GameHero and Fishbone. When it starts, both displays will be blank. Press the L button for GameHero or R for Fishbone.

You might experience some glitches because most of the code patching was done by a program I wrote, and it's pretty much impossible for a program to guess everything correctly. Also, the games will overwrite each other's data on the SRAM and I didn't attempt to correct that. I also haven't tested the ROM on hardware.

For Faceball, you'd probably have an easier job because the ROMs would be similar and probably nothing too serious would happen if one game tried to read the data from the other game.

That is pretty cool.

Posted on: 2013/1/11 19:35
Nintendoid!
Joined 2012/3/1
France
102 Posts
Long Time User (8 Years) Donator20+ Game Ratings
God Damn! I can't wait!!!

Posted on: 2013/1/11 19:36
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/4/27
USA
2308 Posts
Highscore Top10 1stHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreCollection Top10 1stContributor#2 PosterLong Time User (9 Years) 30+ Game Ratings
This joint file is, indeed, really neat. I'll have to go for Fishbone High Scores on this version and see if I notice any differences in gameplay from the stand-alone ROM. With this program applied to ROMs, now the "Thunderstruck Collection" or "HorvatM Collection," etc. could each be released on individual carts.

Posted on: 2013/1/11 22:56
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/4/27
USA
2308 Posts
Highscore Top10 1stHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreCollection Top10 1stContributor#2 PosterLong Time User (9 Years) 30+ Game Ratings
Quote:

HorvatM wrote:

Perhaps you've already discovered it yourself, but I'm just posting to let you know that I tried out the joint file on hardware, and GameHero seemed to run just fine, but Fishbone didn't work at all; it just gave me a blank screen with garbled sound. The joint file did run perfectly for me in Reality Boy, though.

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post