Register To Post

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Happy New Year..oh and btw..BALLFACE
Posted on: 2013/1/5 4:03
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2003/9/3
Sweden
442 Posts
PVBCC EntryHighscore Top10 3rdCoderContributorHOTY09 2ndLong Time User (15 Years) DonatorApp CoderPVBCC 2010 1st20+ Game RatingsPVBCC 2013 2nd
Hi VB friends!

Who wants to play "Faceball" early? ;)

Ever since Mr. G started that thread, I've been secretly working on my own homebrew clone of it, a repro-proto if you will :)
It's solely based on his screenshots/videos and detailed information to recreate as much of the game as possible. I think the time has come to share what I have so far.

All 10 levels described by Mr. G are playable and completable right now. The map and radar is there, as is powerup drops, and the controls should be pretty close to the original.
(My favourite is stage 6, it looks so cool with all those wireframe glass panels)
Currently there's only two enemy types through all levels, no AI to speak of, and no sound, but I'll be working on that next.

The plan for the future is to add lots of more levels, and probably some textured walls and 2-player link cable support.

I call it Ballface. Expect more updates soon :)

Attach file:

png  27_50e797ab194ad.png (12.37 KB)
1_50e83a94612bd.png 400X262 px

png  27_50e797c724881.png (12.59 KB)
1_50e83a9ada613.png 400X262 px

png  27_50e7979c60a62.png (12.78 KB)
1_50e83aa128667.png 400X262 px

Re: Happy New Year..oh and btw..BALLFACE
Posted on: 2013/1/5 4:21
Nintendoid!
Joined 2012/11/23
132 Posts
10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (7 Years)
This seems kind of cool, but a little insulting to the purpose of Eric and Ben getting the rom.

But, you said more levels? I was hoping maybe somebody could make a level editor for the real Faceball. You seem like you could do that. Come vote in the poll I made. :)

Posted on: 2013/1/5 4:39
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2003/9/3
Sweden
442 Posts
PVBCC EntryHighscore Top10 3rdCoderContributorHOTY09 2ndLong Time User (15 Years) DonatorApp CoderPVBCC 2010 1st20+ Game RatingsPVBCC 2013 2nd
Heh, insulting? Now I feel insulted.
I've been working hard on this for months, because I thought we wouldn't see a release of that proto for many years still, and I wanted the community to have it.
It was only in mid-december that I found out it would be released so soon, and by then my game was almost done already. What should I have done? Thrown it all away?

You're welcome...

Posted on: 2013/1/5 4:54
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/3/10
USA
917 Posts
Top10 PosterLong Time User (8 Years) 30+ Game Ratings
How would this be insulting? How was he to know they were attempting to spend a bundle on the actual cart? What a ridiculousness statement.

This is an amazing homebrew project. I can't wait to see where it ends up!! I'm going to pull out my FB+ tonight or tomorrow and give it some play.

Thanks!

Posted on: 2013/1/5 8:27
Nintendoid!
Joined 2008/10/19
USA
102 Posts
Long Time User (11 Years)
Definitely would not even ponder calling this hard work insulting. I don't thinks it's very mature..

From the screenshots, it looks like a faithful recreation!
Thank you for putting work into this game when it seemed hopeless the community would ever see it!

I went to flash it to my FlashBoy+, but noticed it wouldn't flash. Then I realized the file size was 0kb. So I downloaded it a few times on different browsers with the same results. I remember seeing a similar occurrence on the forum's in the past (might have been the first space pinball upload).

Can you re-upload it for us?

Posted on: 2013/1/5 9:57
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2007/7/28
Great Britain
336 Posts
Long Time User (12 Years) App Coder
Quote:
What should I have done?

Waited until we'd released FaceBall first. That would have been the polite thing to do, considering Eric dropped $16K for it.

Posted on: 2013/1/5 11:20
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2003/9/3
Sweden
442 Posts
Quote:

Waited until we'd released FaceBall first. That would have been the polite thing to do, considering Eric dropped $16K for it.

Fine. I won't re-upload it then. I apologize if this offended you guys. I'll kindly ask KR155E to please delete this thread, and we can try to forget all about it.

Posted on: 2013/1/5 11:27
VB Gamer
Joined 2012/4/25
Switzerland
29 Posts
Long Time User (7 Years)
I understand the situation but I want to congratulate DanB for his work !

Posted on: 2013/1/5 11:57
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/3/10
USA
917 Posts
Top10 PosterLong Time User (8 Years) 30+ Game Ratings
compared to pretty much every system i enjoy homebrew on, the virtual boy has very few completed projects. please do not ask to have this thread removed. this project should be completed and released for everyone to enjoy. consider working on it and then holding off on a release until the faceball carts have gone on sale. this compromise would seem to appeal to everyone.

i love my vb and i would hate to see great homebrew project go unreleased.

Posted on: 2013/1/5 13:53
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/4/27
USA
2297 Posts
Highscore Top10 1stHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreCollection Top10 1stContributor#2 PosterLong Time User (8 Years) 30+ Game Ratings
I have to throw my support in for DanB's project as well. Just based on the few screenshots that you posted, it looks like you've already made a rather fantastically working game. But since you do know that the original Faceball is going to be released in such a way that will help Eric recover his large costs that were necessary to acquire the game, I'm hoping that you can simply modify your plans for your version of Faceball, like by making all new levels and even new enemy types or something. It would be very cool to have a homebrew "sequel" to VB Faceball, and I know you are well capable of making that! :-)

But as others suggested, I would hope that you decide not to release your game until after Eric's plan has been followed through to completion. You'll probably need more time to finish your game than Eric will need to release the original and recover a large part of his costs, so there should be no problem with that, I think.

Please keep up the good work. I have been looking forward to a full game being made by you for a while. Your other demos that you released in the past are absolutely fantastic.

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post