AC Adapter Tap/Set Question
Posted on: 2012/12/28 17:36
VB Gamer
Joined 2012/12/28
France
12 Posts
Long Time User (7 Years)
Hi everybody,

I've actually just registered to the forums even though I've been checking out the website for years (probably 2006, at the very least). I've always been fascinated in the VB even though I don't have a lot of games for it (although I intend to get more over time). I've recently started playing it again, getting it out of its box to play some Galactic Pinball and Red Alarm, which is why I've just now registered.

Anyway, I'm playing it with rechargeable batteries, they work just fine, but it would be great if I could play it while it's simply plugged in the wall. However I've come to a conundrum.

I have a Japanese VB, and after reading a couple of messages on the subject on this very forum, if I understand this right I'll have to get a Japanese adapter tap. It says on the website that it works with a standard Sufami/SNES plug, but I live in france, so the wall sockets are actually different here.

So I was wondering if the Japanese Adapter Tap would work with a European SNES power adapter ? I wouldn't want to fry my unit in case the voltage is different between the two (even if I don't have an adapter tap yet, I thought it would be better to ask).

Re: AC Adapter Tap/Set Question
Posted on: 2012/12/28 17:47
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/4/27
USA
2308 Posts
Highscore Top10 1stHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreCollection Top10 1stContributor#2 PosterLong Time User (9 Years) 30+ Game Ratings
Hi Octaedre,

You are correct. The Japanese Adapter Tap will, in fact, work with a European SNES power adapter. It's the power adapter that you have to worry about for your country, not the tap that connects it to your Virtual Boy.

Posted on: 2012/12/28 17:59
VB Gamer
Joined 2012/12/28
France
12 Posts
Long Time User (7 Years)
Oh ok, cool :D

So now I just have to find a Japanese Adapter Tap...

Thanks a lot for the quick answer !!

Posted on: 2012/12/28 18:04
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/4/27
USA
2308 Posts
Highscore Top10 1stHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreCollection Top10 1stContributor#2 PosterLong Time User (9 Years) 30+ Game Ratings
You're welcome. :-)

Posted on: 2012/12/28 18:14
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/4/27
USA
2308 Posts
Quote:

Octaedre wrote:

So now I just have to find a Japanese Adapter Tap...

I have an extra Japanese Adapter Tap that I can sell to you. It comes complete with box and instructions. I am willing to offer it to you for 15 U.S. Dollars plus shipping to your country, which I believe is much less than you will pay for one on Ebay right now. If you're interested, send me a PM. I use PayPal for payments.

Regards.

Posted on: 2012/12/28 18:14
Nintendoid!
Joined 2007/8/8
Great Britain
201 Posts
CoderContributorHOTY09 EntryLong Time User (12 Years) App Coder
The PAL SNES power adaptor is AC so it shouldn't really be used with the Virtual Boy which takes DC. I'd get a japanese adaptor tap (which takes a 5.5 x 2.1mm DC jack) and the EU version of this adaptor (I have the UK version):

http://avslgroup.com/en/product/174.001EU

Posted on: 2012/12/28 18:20
VB Gamer
Joined 2012/12/28
France
12 Posts
Long Time User (7 Years)
I know it's usually not recommended but would it work with a "universal adapter" type thing ? The kind where you can choose the voltage and everything... Otherwise I'll probably get the one you recommend.

Benjamin, I don't have a paypal account but a friend does, I'll ask him and then I'll get back to you.

Posted on: 2013/1/3 15:58
VB Gamer
Joined 2012/12/21
Australia
26 Posts
Long Time User (7 Years)
Are there any pictures of the plug inside the JP adapter for the controller? I can't remember if I could ever find any.

It's quite strange that they went with such an unusual plug for the US power pack, I'm not sure I've ever seen one with an internal pin like that on anything before.

Quote:

Octaedre wrote:
I know it's usually not recommended but would it work with a "universal adapter" type thing ? The kind where you can choose the voltage and everything... Otherwise I'll probably get the one you recommend.

If you mean like a vitage-adjustable power pack, I've been using one of those to power my Virtual Boy, through a power adapter I whipped together from a few spare parts. I tried to find something that matched the input rating of the VB, but looking at it now I see it only lists a voltage of 6V-9V and no amperage. Can't remember at all what I searched for or found to settle on the powerpack I did, but it rates itself at 12V max and 1.0A max, and I run it set to 9V. Hasn't fried anything yet, so I guess it must be ok? :P

Posted on: 2013/1/3 16:52
PVB Elite
Joined 2008/12/28
Slovenia
636 Posts
Highscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreCoderContributor10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (11 Years) App CoderPVBCC 2010 EntryPVBCC 2013 Entry
The amperage on mine is 1.4 A (with a voltage of 9 V) and I've been using it with the VB for four years, so you're safe.

Posted on: 2013/1/8 14:56
VB Gamer
Joined 2012/12/28
France
12 Posts
Long Time User (7 Years)
Quote:

Gookanheimer wrote:
Are there any pictures of the plug inside the JP adapter for the controller? I can't remember if I could ever find any.

Actually I've just gotten my Adapter Tap in the mail (thanks Benjamin !!), and so I took pictures, which are attached in this post.

It looks like a totally standard AC adapter plug.

I haven't gotten around to testing it yet because the universal ac I have has one of those cross things at the end with multiple different plugs, and as such even though I can plug it in it doesn't allow me to close the lid. Besides, the voltage listed on there is 300mA. I don't exactly know what that means but it sounds considerably higher than 1.4A...

Attach file:

jpg  P1080192.JPG (869.90 KB)
3100_50ec31e1d8a81.jpg 1417X1063 px

jpg  P1080189.JPG (856.71 KB)
3100_50ec31fb661ff.jpg 1417X1063 px

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post