Register To Post

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Re: Help with Hello World
Posted on: 2012/12/24 23:14
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2012/12/4
418 Posts
CoderLong Time User (7 Years)
Got it! Only took four tries, but after I knew what I was doing, it all went smoothly.

Memo to self: if it doesn't show up, you forgot something.

Open in new window

ROM is attached to this post.

Attach file:

vb fourth.vb Size: 4.00 KB; Hits: 124

Posted on: 2013/1/23 1:30
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2005/9/17
USA
312 Posts
Long Time User (14 Years)
Holy cow that's some awesome work. Keep at it man! Hopefully you'll pave the way for anyone else with similar interests or provide new insight to get some more speed out of our little red boxen.

Is the Nintendo tech manual hosted somewhere? It'd be neat to browse. I'm guessing Big N isn't too fond of that one being out in the wild... or maybe they don't care since the VB is sort the red-headed stepchild... haha.

Posted on: 2013/1/23 2:34
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2012/12/4
418 Posts
Quote:

jrronimo wrote:
Is the Nintendo tech manual hosted somewhere? It'd be neat to browse. I'm guessing Big N isn't too fond of that one being out in the wild...

No matter. We've got something better: the Sacred Tech Scroll!

Posted on: 2013/1/23 7:01
VB Gamer
Joined 2003/11/1
USA
46 Posts
CoderLong Time User (15 Years) App Coder
... The tech manual is hosted on this very site. But even it is far from complete!

Posted on: 2013/1/23 15:58
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2012/12/4
418 Posts
Quote:

Parasyte wrote:
But even it is far from complete!

Exactly! Better use the Sacred Tech Scroll instead!

Posted on: 2013/1/23 17:07
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2005/9/17
USA
312 Posts
Long Time User (14 Years)
Dully noted! Cheers, guys!

Posted on: 2013/1/24 5:54
VB Gamer
Joined 2003/11/1
USA
46 Posts
I'm waiting for it to get more complete. :)

In the meantime, I'm in a bit of a holding pattern on my own projects before I could even begin to contribute.

Posted on: 2013/1/24 22:08
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2012/12/4
418 Posts
Quote:

Parasyte wrote:
I'm waiting for it to get more complete. :)

You'll be waiting a while. There's barely anything left to document. Just some stuff like floating-point instructions setting the carry flag and such.

Posted on: 2013/1/26 10:08
VB Gamer
Joined 2003/11/1
USA
46 Posts
Not quite; the operation of the VIP is entirely undocumented. It's essentially a black box that just "works", on the principles of magic and voodoo, for all we know.

There is absolutely no information on how long it takes to render anything, with exception that it will set the OVERTIME flag in XPSTTS when drawing takes longer than 20 * (FRMCYC + 1) ms. (Which itself will trigger the TIMEERR interrupt.) How does the VIP use the "write prohibited" work areas within the world attributes? So many questions remaining in just this one area alone.

There are also a number of questions about the NVC. Especially the pipeline. We can gleam a little info from the [much better documented] v850, disregarding that the upgraded architecture has a more refined (efficient) pipeline. The pipeline explains the instruction cycle counts. And yet nothing has explained the cycle counts for float or bitstring instructions. And then there's also the multiple-load and multiple-store limitations.

(As far as I can tell, load instructions have their memory access stage where you expect to find the execute stage on other instructions. This explains why it's more efficient to group loads; the memory access stage in a load conflicts with the memory access stage on the preceding instruction. But just try to explain why it's more efficient to separate stores! These cases seem to be mutually exclusive!)

Anyway, it's nice to see a "reimagining" of VB technical documentation, and by far the best resource apart from Nintendo's Virtual Boy Development Manual.

Posted on: 2013/1/26 15:44
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2012/12/4
418 Posts
Quote:

Parasyte wrote:
Not quite; the operation of the VIP is entirely undocumented. It's essentially a black box that just "works", on the principles of magic and voodoo, for all we know.

What are you expecting, circuit diagrams? That's beyond the scope of the document; hardly a reason to label it incomplete.

You'll notice many editor's notes throughout the document for things remaining to be tested. Feel free to run some trials so we can get rid of them. (-:
Edited by Guy Perfect on 2013/1/26 16:12

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post