Posted on: 2012/11/25 20:40
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/7/1
Germany
1111 Posts
CoderContributorTop10 PosterLong Time User (8 Years) App CoderPVBCC 2013 Entry
Quote:

HorvatM wrote:

Today, I found out how to edit the amount of time you get for each level, how much time you need to have left to get to the next upper level, and which music track plays on the level (there are 12 tracks in the game, I think). I also know where most of the character sets and some of the character maps are (fun fact: the ROM contains the graphics from "Sample Soft for VUE Programming"), but graphics don't interest me because they don't really add anything new to the game.

I've also made a disassembly of the code with David Tucker's disassembler and figured out what some short routines do (this is my first encounter with assembly language on the VB), but I don't know whether that's even worth trying. There is a lot of code but if we figure out which parts do what, we can change how the game behaves (and also add features, because there is a lot of unused space).

Sometimes, I think about whether all of this is meaningful. The game is simple enough that a team of experienced homebrewers could recreate it. On the other hand, we can think of reverse engineering as a kind of archeology.

Sounds like you are close to figuring out how the complete game works. Would be great to be able to do a ROM hack that changes the complete game including graphics and sound and just using the game as an engine.

Re: InsmEdit, an Insmouse No Yakata editor
Posted on: 2012/11/25 21:43
PVB Elite
Joined 2008/12/28
Slovenia
628 Posts
Highscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreCoderContributor10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (10 Years) App CoderPVBCC 2010 EntryPVBCC 2013 Entry
Quote:

thunderstruck wrote:

Sounds like you are close to figuring out how the complete game works.

No, not really. I still know nothing about the monsters, the cutscenes (other than where some of their graphics are), or where the sound data is.

Quote:
Would be great to be able to do a ROM hack that changes the complete game including graphics and sound and just using the game as an engine.

Do you think this is a better idea than creating an engine from scratch? Probably the hardest thing to get right is the renderer (Insmouse probably composes the view from BGMaps, since you can only see 3 tiles ahead of you) and the details like cutscenes.

Posted on: 2012/11/26 0:24
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/4/27
USA
2291 Posts
Highscore Top10 1stHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreCollection Top10Contributor#2 PosterLong Time User (8 Years) 30+ Game Ratings
Okay, I got the first nine edited. I'll be working on the next 9.

Attach file:

png  Ben\'s Mansion of Insmouse Level Maps 1-9.png (89.58 KB)
1643_50b2a8c4a42e9.png 2376X1875 px

Posted on: 2012/11/26 11:02
PVB Elite
Joined 2008/11/10
Great Britain
507 Posts
ContributorLong Time User (10 Years)
Top job Ben, those look way cool.

Posted on: 2012/11/27 0:35
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/4/27
USA
2291 Posts
Highscore Top10 1stHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreCollection Top10Contributor#2 PosterLong Time User (8 Years) 30+ Game Ratings
Thanks, Hedgetrimmer.

I got the next 18 done.

Attach file:

png  Ben\'s Mansion of Insmouse Level Maps 10-18.png (109.86 KB)
1643_50b3fc90bb2a3.png 2376X1875 px

png  Ben\'s Mansion of Insmouse Level Maps 19-27.png (111.52 KB)
1643_50b3fca01970c.png 2376X1875 px

Posted on: 2012/11/28 0:38
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/4/27
USA
2291 Posts
It's definitely getting harder to find characters that can fit within the 22 by 22 area and still look close to the original sprites. I'm not sure which ones are going to be the final nine after these.

Attach file:

png  Ben\'s Mansion of Insmouse Level Maps 28-36.png (115.51 KB)
1643_50b553c08150a.png 2376X1875 px
Edited by Benjamin Stevens on 2012/11/28 0:58
Edited by Benjamin Stevens on 2012/11/28 0:58

Posted on: 2012/11/29 10:14
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2010/10/23
Great Britain
385 Posts
10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (8 Years) Donator
Looking good Ben.

Posted on: 2012/11/29 15:09
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/4/27
USA
2291 Posts
Thanks VBmills.

I've come up with a title for my special edition of the game. It's going to be called:

Mansion of Insmouse: Mario Madness Edition

I've finalized the levels that I've made so far, complete with starting points and exit doors. I'm just not sure what original level maps they are going to replace yet.

Attach file:

pdf Mansion of Insmouse Mario Madness Edition.pdf Size: 410.59 KB; Hits: 226

Posted on: 2012/12/4 19:10
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/4/27
USA
2291 Posts
Okay. All 45 level maps for "Mansion of Insmouse: Mario Madness Edition" now appear in the attached PDF file, in no particular order. I decided to take character sprites from Super Mario Bros 1, 2, and 3 for the NES, and then also from Super Mario World for the SNES. There weren't too many more from these games that I could have used, which would have looked close to the original sprites, given the limited space I had to work with, so I'm really glad I managed to get 45 different characters represented.

Now, it's time to see if I can actually make a game of it! This will probably be the hardest part for me.

Attach file:

pdf Mansion of Insmouse Mario Madness Edition.pdf Size: 499.70 KB; Hits: 244

Posted on: 2012/12/5 1:02
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2010/10/23
Great Britain
385 Posts
10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (8 Years) Donator
I think you have done a great job Ben. All the characters look spot on and the name of the game is good too!

Hope you make it a proper game.

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post