Register To Post

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Re: VBDE: A Virtual Boy Development Environment
Posted on: 2012/3/29 19:06
PVB Elite
Joined 2003/7/26
USA
1465 Posts
PVBCC EntryCoderContributorSpecial AchievementTop10 PosterHOTY09 EntryLong Time User (15 Years) App Coder20+ Game RatingsPVBCC 2013 Entry
Quote:

KR155E wrote:
Thanks, RunnerPack!

My pleasure

Quote:

I looked at the gccvb package and was not sure what to do to compile, since there's no make.exe. Should I modify the make.bat that came with the very first gccvb release?

It should be compatible with the old batch file, but it would be better to include some form of build tool (like make) and set up the editor(s) to run it. I'm going to study the editors' support for "projects" and external tools and see if I can get "one-click" automatic project compiling to work. It might mean including a Win32 version of "make". Here's one that should be easy to add to the VBDE installer/zipfile:

http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/make.htm

Make sure to read the General Installation Instructions, and let me know if you need any help.

Quote:

About libgccvb, are there any advantages of having only a single h and a single c file?

For one thing, as I alluded to earlier, it could be made into a "libgccvb.a" and included in the /lib and /include directories. Using it would then be as simple as adding "-lgccvb" to the gcc command-line. Admittedly, this would only save a small fraction of a second from an already generally very short compile time, but it would also be cleaner and easier to maintain (and add to). At the very least, it might deter programmers from having a dozen modified versions spread among their various project directories Actually, maybe there should be a central repository (on github? Google code?) for the library so we could finally have One Library to Rule Them All(tm)

Quote:

I will look into including Programmer's Notepad as well. Custom schemes would be great for both this and Notepad++. :-)

I'll work on that after I look at the actual build process. I also noticed that Programer's Notepad has a system for "snippets" that can generate pieces of code automatically. Between this, the Python scripting, and the C++ "plugin" system, we could have a very powerful replacement for VIDE with a bit of work...

Posted on: 2012/3/29 20:53
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2010/2/14
USA
333 Posts
10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (9 Years)
WOW, this is incredibly easy to use. This is a fantastic idea and I'll definitely use it, since I had trouble getting an IDE and compiler set up before.

Posted on: 2012/3/29 22:50
PVB Elite
Joined 2003/7/26
USA
1465 Posts
PVBCC EntryCoderContributorSpecial AchievementTop10 PosterHOTY09 EntryLong Time User (15 Years) App Coder20+ Game RatingsPVBCC 2013 Entry
Note:

While testing, I found that the library I attached above is broken. Somehow I left out some commonly used functions and introduced errors that make it unlinkable. I'm working on the problems right now and will release a new version soon.

Thank you for your patience.

Posted on: 2012/3/29 23:16
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2010/2/14
USA
333 Posts
What is the demo project supposed to do, exactly? It compiled fine and it runs fine but I don't hear any sound, and all I see is the background graphic and a number that counts up.

Posted on: 2012/3/30 20:10
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/7/1
Germany
1118 Posts
CoderContributorTop10 PosterLong Time User (8 Years) App CoderPVBCC 2013 Entry
It sound like you compiled the GH-Midi Player. If you press A, B, Left Trigger or Right Trigger it plays different Video-Game themes. The displayed number is the note count. As the number changes the music should be played. Obviously you have to turn up your sound to hear the music.

Did you try to start the demo in RealityBoy or on Hardware?

Posted on: 2012/3/30 20:21
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2010/2/14
USA
333 Posts
Quote:

thunderstruck wrote:
It sound like you compiled the GH-Midi Player. If you press A, B, Left Trigger or Right Trigger it plays different Video-Game themes. The displayed number is the note count. As the number changes the music should be played. Obviously you have to turn up your sound to hear the music.

Did you try to start the demo in RealityBoy or on Hardware?

All I did was compile the default file/project that was loaded from the pack. So yeah, I guess it was the midi player. I verified my computer had sound working but I couldn't get any sound through either realityboy or mednafen...

Posted on: 2012/3/30 21:15
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/7/1
Germany
1118 Posts
That's indeed strange. I never used the VBDE, though. However, I don't think Kri55e modified the sources. Do other games have sound if you start them in RealityBoy?

Posted on: 2012/4/3 23:06
Administrator
Joined 2000/1/8
Germany
2516 Posts
Highscore Top10Highscore Top ScoreCoder#1 PosterHOTY09 1stLong Time User (15 Years) App Coder90+ Game Ratings
Yes, the default project of VBDE Preview 1 was thunderstruck's MIDI player, unmodified IIRC. It was just there to show that compiling worked.

I now got RunnerPack's gccVB 4 binaries working and included in VBDE Preview 2! This brought the size down massively to only 19MB compressed.

This new version also comes with the latest version of GRIT for VB and the first version of my barebone project as the new sample project. I also introduced a new version of the vbh file for ROM header information.

Download: http://www.planetvb.com/content/vbde_preview2.7z

Posted on: 2012/4/3 23:36
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/7/1
Germany
1118 Posts
This is really a sweet package. If I find some time I will try to compile GameHero with it. In the end it is basically the same development environment I used, so it should work fine.

The vbh file is also something I always wanted to include in my project.

I think including some more examples and some basic tutorials would be a good idea.

Posted on: 2012/4/4 19:14
PVB Elite
Joined 2003/7/26
USA
1465 Posts
Quote:

KR155E wrote:
...I also introduced a new version of the vbh file for ROM header information.

Quote:

thunderstruck wrote:
...The vbh file is also something I always wanted to include in my project.

Actually, when I packaged the native gcc binaries, I also included my "vbid.exe" VB header editor. It can be used in a makefile/batchfile to patch the VB ROM header, without using a separate file. Run it in a "DOS box" with no parameters to see how to use it (or get the full download and look in the readme). Of course, its usage is purely optional, I just thought I'd mention it...

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post