Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Re: VBDE: A Virtual Boy Development Environment
Posted on: 2012/4/4 20:12
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/7/1
Germany
1109 Posts
CoderContributorTop10 PosterLong Time User (8 Years) App CoderPVBCC 2013 Entry
Actually, I am using VBid right now to add the ROM information. However, I do it in a pretty static way out of a batch file.

If I understand Krisses changes to my batch files correctly, he also uses VBid inside of the VBDE. He added the .vbh header file to the project, which then is read after the build. The information of the header file are then used to configure VBid. VBid then writes the information to the ROM.

Posted on: 2012/4/5 7:08
PVB Elite
Joined 2003/7/26
USA
1464 Posts
PVBCC EntryCoderContributorSpecial AchievementTop10 PosterHOTY09 EntryLong Time User (15 Years) App Coder20+ Game RatingsPVBCC 2013 Entry
D'oh! I guess I should have looked at how the .vbh is used before posting... That's kind of a round-about way to do it, but oh well, whatever works, right?

Once again, great work, KR155E!

Posted on: 2012/4/10 12:25
Administrator
Joined 2000/1/8
Germany
2515 Posts
Highscore Top10Highscore Top ScoreCoder#1 PosterHOTY09 1stLong Time User (15 Years) App Coder90+ Game Ratings
Yeah, I am doing it like thunderstruck said. Reading the header information from the vbh file and writing it to the ROM using vbid after compiling. vbid can be found in the tools directory, that's why I removed it from the compiler directory.

So, the vbh file works differently than the earlier vbh format, which contained the complete header, including reset vector and stuff. The new one only has the plain header information that can be fed into vbid. We might rename the file format to prevent confusion?

Posted on: 2012/4/28 8:56
VB Gamer
Joined 2012/4/28
25 Posts
Long Time User (7 Years)
Hi, I just found this website and your VBDE. It's pretty cool you guys have created a framework for making virtual boy homebrews.
I'm taking a couple of computer science classes this summer where we'll be focusing on system's programming with assembly and general hardware related topics. Making a virtual boy game might help enrich my studies.
So how might I get started developing VB projects? (besides VBDE, which downloaded and installed quite easily!)
I see there are a few tools out there for imaging and header files and I'm not sure how to use much of that. I'm pretty proficient with C already so I feel like I'm up for the challnge.

Posted on: 2012/4/28 11:58
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/7/1
Germany
1109 Posts
Hey,

VirtualBoy programming can be a little bit tricky in the beginning but as soon as you understood the basic system it is relativity simple. This is mainly caused by the fact, that the guys around here all already figured out the complicate stuff.

You can find demos and homebrews including the sources on this site, which I felt was a good starting point. There are also some helpful tutorials. The developer forum is also full of useful information.

Usually the projects are based on the libgccvb, which is an c library that allows relativity simple access to all of the VB functions. Unfortunately, there different versions of this lib featuring different improvements. You will find a version you can start with in one of the demos.

If you want to try out your stuff on Hardware, you will need a FashBoy Plus. There is a thread in this forum that explains how to get one. Otherwise you can use an emulator like Mednafen or RealityBoy.

If you have any questions about the coding itself just ask in the developer forum. Also feel free to contact me directly. I may not be an expert, but a least I produced something that people keep calling a VirtualBoy game.

AS a side node: I am pretty close to publishing the next and hopefully final iteration of GameHero. As soon as I am happy with the results I am going to publish the code as well. I will have to write comments into the code, though.

Cheers
thunder

Posted on: 2012/5/21 22:16
Administrator
Joined 2000/1/8
Germany
2515 Posts
Highscore Top10Highscore Top ScoreCoder#1 PosterHOTY09 1stLong Time User (15 Years) App Coder90+ Game Ratings
I tried to update all my projects to compile under VBDE and had no problems with VUE Snake. With Blox 2, however, I got the following errors:

Quote:
c:/vbde/gccvb/bin/../lib/gcc/v810/4.4.2/../../../../v810/bin/ld.exe: section .vb vectors loaded at [071ffde0,071fffff] overlaps section .data loaded at [071fbd04,071ffe73]
C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Local\Temp\ccFPkqQc.o: In function `adjustment':
blox2.c:(.text+0x3ae0): undefined reference to `memcpy'
blox2.c:(.text+0x3ae4): undefined reference to `memcpy'
blox2.c:(.text+0x3b08): undefined reference to `memcpy'
blox2.c:(.text+0x3b0c): undefined reference to `memcpy'
blox2.c:(.text+0x3b30): undefined reference to `memcpy'
C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Local\Temp\ccFPkqQc.o:blox2.c:(.text+0x3b34): more undefined references to `memcpy' follow
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make.exe: *** [blox2.o] Error 1

Seems the linker script has problems with trying to squeeze too much stuff into the ROM or something? Blox 2 indeed almost completely uses up its 16MBits, but I never had problems from that before. Any idea?

Posted on: 2012/5/22 8:32
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/7/1
Germany
1109 Posts
I am having the exact same problem with GameHero. I don't use vbde though. That's why I did all of the ram saving. To have more place for music.

Posted on: 2012/5/22 23:17
Nintendoid!
Joined 2007/8/8
Great Britain
201 Posts
CoderContributorHOTY09 EntryLong Time User (12 Years) App Coder
Hi. Try compiling with the linker script and crt0 attached to this post. This should fix the overlapping sections error.

Posted on: 2012/5/23 23:03
Administrator
Joined 2000/1/8
Germany
2515 Posts
These files indeed fix the overlapping sections error. :-) The other errors remain, though, and some new ones are introduced:

Quote:

c:/vbde/gccvb/bin/../lib/gcc/v810/4.4.2/../../../../v810/lib/crt0.o: In function `start':
(.text+0xa): undefined reference to `_gp'
c:/vbde/gccvb/bin/../lib/gcc/v810/4.4.2/../../../../v810/lib/crt0.o: In function `start':
(.text+0xe): undefined reference to `_gp'
c:/vbde/gccvb/bin/../lib/gcc/v810/4.4.2/../../../../v810/lib/crt0.o: In function `DummyLoop':
(.text+0x2e): undefined reference to `_data_start'
c:/vbde/gccvb/bin/../lib/gcc/v810/4.4.2/../../../../v810/lib/crt0.o: In function `DummyLoop':
(.text+0x32): undefined reference to `_data_start'
C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Local\Temp\cc5OAVhM.o: In function `adjustment':
blox2.c:(.text+0x3ae0): undefined reference to `memcpy'
blox2.c:(.text+0x3ae4): undefined reference to `memcpy'
blox2.c:(.text+0x3b08): undefined reference to `memcpy'
blox2.c:(.text+0x3b0c): undefined reference to `memcpy'
blox2.c:(.text+0x3b30): undefined reference to `memcpy'
C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Local\Temp\cc5OAVhM.o:blox2.c:(.text+0x3b34): more undefined references to `memcpy' follow
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make.exe: *** [blox2.o] Error 1

Posted on: 2012/5/24 2:04
Nintendoid!
Joined 2007/8/8
Great Britain
201 Posts
CoderContributorHOTY09 EntryLong Time User (12 Years) App Coder
I don't think you're using the fixed linker script, or you wouldn't be getting the undefined reference errors to __gp and __data_start. In your makefile specify the linker script you want the linker to use with the -T option, e.g. -Tpath/vb.ld.

I'm not sure why you're getting the undefined references to memcpy. Are you including string.h in blox2.c?

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post