Register To Post

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

NES EarthBound Reproduction Carts?
Posted on: 2011/11/22 22:54
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2009/8/2
USA
256 Posts
Contributor10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (9 Years)
I stumbled across a website recently that sells reproductions of mostly NES games. I looked at everything that they had, and saw a really nice reproduction of EarthBound. I was wanting to add it to my christmas list.

Then a thought hit me, is it legal to own one of these? I've since then been doing countless searches, reading forum and blog posts about the subject. With no real results, they all seem to be written by people that really don't know what they are talking about.

Is it legal to own/buy a reproduction cart of the unreleased NES version of EarthBound? It seems like it would be since it was never released in all, but I really don't have any clue. So thats what brought me here, to finally clear things up once and for all. Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

The pictures below is what the repro carts look like, incase anyone was curious.

Attach file:

jpg  EarthBound Repro Carts.jpg (27.87 KB)
1134_4ecc1bb15111c.jpg 503X232 px
Edited by VBrulez on 2011/11/22 23:05

Re: NES EarthBound Reproduction Carts?
Posted on: 2011/11/23 0:17
Virtual Freak
Joined 2011/3/11
77 Posts
Long Time User (8 Years)
Quote:

VBrulez wrote:
Is it legal to own/buy a reproduction cart of the unreleased NES version of EarthBound? It seems like it would be since it was never released in all

Why would it be legal just because the game is unreleased? It is definitely illegal but nobody is enforcing it so who cares.

Posted on: 2011/11/23 0:26
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2009/8/2
USA
256 Posts
Quote:

Srimok wrote:
Quote:

VBrulez wrote:
Is it legal to own/buy a reproduction cart of the unreleased NES version of EarthBound? It seems like it would be since it was never released in all

Why would it be legal just because the game is unreleased? It is definitely illegal but nobody is enforcing it so who cares.

The whole thing with it being legal because it's unreleased, was an arguement used on many of the sites I was on. Anyway thanks for the quick response. Since it's illegial I won't be getting a copy, but thanks for info.

Posted on: 2011/11/23 3:20
Virtual Freak
Joined 2011/3/11
77 Posts
Long Time User (8 Years)
It would be a shame for you to miss playing it just because it is technically illegal. It's not really any more illegal than playing a rom and I'm sure everyone has played those before. The only people that should be even mildly worried about the legalities are the people making the repros not the people buying them.

Posted on: 2011/11/23 5:17
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2009/8/2
USA
256 Posts
Quote:

Srimok wrote:
It would be a shame for you to miss playing it just because it is technically illegal. It's not really any more illegal than playing a rom and I'm sure everyone has played those before. The only people that should be even mildly worried about the legalities are the people making the repros not the people buying them.

I understand where you are coming from. This has really has me feeling better, and reconsidering. I really don't want to miss out on a game thats supposed to be so good like EarthBound NES.

It's not like I made the repro cart, so it isn't like I'm the one pirateing games. I wouldn't be making any money, infact loseing money by buying the cart.
Because of that, I don't feel like anyone who buys repros has anything to worry about. Just the sellers themselves if anything, like you said.
If it were a ROM I'd feel weird, because it just seems wrong.
If this were something like copys of newer games like burnt XBOX 360 games for example, it's wrong and illegal both ways, because there still in stores.
But not with twenty year old games, especially ones that was never even in stores like this one.
Also it's not illegal to own bootleg games, it's just illegal to make the said games, and isn't this the same thing?
Like Nintendo sued Tengen for their carts (not really bootleg, just unoffical) but didn't sue all of the people that went out and bought Tengen games.

I might put it on my Christmas list after all, still thinking about it.

But enough about me. Do you have a NES EarthBound cart? and if so what do you think about it?

Posted on: 2011/11/23 5:29
Virtual Freak
Joined 2011/3/11
77 Posts
Long Time User (8 Years)
I always lol when people get too overly concerned about legalities. Everything on the internet is illegal. Half of Youtube is illegal, Lots of stuff on this site is illegal, and if you want an example a little closer to yours how about all those Bound High carts everyone has on here. Just buy the cart and enjoy. I do not own an Earth Bound cart for the NES but I have heard great things about it.

Posted on: 2011/11/23 5:37
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2009/8/2
USA
256 Posts
Quote:

Srimok wrote:
I always lol when people get too overly concerned about legalities. Everything on the internet is illegal. Half of Youtube is illegal, Lots of stuff on this site is illegal, and if you want an example a little closer to yours how about all those Bound High carts everyone has on here. Just buy the cart and enjoy. I do not own an Earth Bound cart for the NES but I have heard great things about it.

I kinda over worry about stuff, sometimes. The Bound High carts is a really great example, never thought about that. Thats a really good game to. Also if you want the link to the site that has EarthBound, and many others, I can send it to you via PM. A lot of people on Youtube like it, so it should be trustworthy.

Posted on: 2011/11/23 5:42
Virtual Freak
Joined 2011/3/11
77 Posts
Long Time User (8 Years)
Quote:

VBrulez wrote:
Quote:

Srimok wrote:

I kinda over worry about stuff, sometimes. The Bound High carts is a really great example, never thought about that. Thats a really good game to. Also if you want the link to the site that has EarthBound, and many others, I can send it to you via PM. A lot of people on Youtube like it, so it should be trustworthy.

Yah sure I would be interested in checking out the site.

Posted on: 2011/11/23 5:47
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2009/8/2
USA
256 Posts
Quote:

Srimok wrote:
Quote:

VBrulez wrote:
Quote:

Srimok wrote:

Yah sure I would be interested in checking out the site.

PM sent.

Posted on: 2011/11/23 8:44
PVB Elite
Joined 2010/2/19
USA
559 Posts
ContributorLong Time User (9 Years) Top Donator: 2nd20+ Game Ratings
I played through Earthbound "Zero" on a GBA flashcart many years ago. Yes it's absolutely not a legal form of ownership to own one and especially not legal to manufacture them. However, it's a great game and Nintendo did no justice by canning the release and never offering an official alternative.
There is no legal way to own this game. Even if you shell out over 1k on eBay when an offifial proto pops up, it's PROPERTY of Nintendo or the developers.

All in all, Mother 1/NES Earthbound is one of the top 10 games ever made for the console. Fans have screamed bloody murder for at least a decade to get this released, but it seems that Hal and Nintendo don't want our money.

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post