Lost Password?

Register To Post

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Re: Rewiring Gameboy link cables
Posted on: 2/21 21:20
Joined 2016/5/28
7 Posts
Long Time User (2 Years)
As a follow up, I actually found the guy who made that thread elsewhere (since I remember that I couldn't seem to get in touch via that forum when I tried), and asked him about that experience, but never saw a reply detailing what he did. I'm curious too because I've tried gba link cables and never saw the game respond much. The one thing I witnessed was that on the other systems (not the player 1 system connected with the small purple plug but the others connected via grey plug), the gba screen would flash white and stay blank the whole time. It appeared to respond to the cable being in (that flashing behavior was unusual) but I couldn't make anything of it. The one "main" unit just acted as if it was a single-player hookup. Compare to the four player adapter, which worked in that it would show on the title screen the number of connected systems, and then when you hit start, all systems would enter the menu. Also, the menu screen was synced between all systems (and any player could navigate the menu which could be pretty chaotic). I wasn't able to get this behavior from gba cables, and he even had non-gba systems there (ie. Game boy color) which makes me question how he even connected them, given the plug differences would physically prevent a connection. My suspicion is that they were modified in some way, or that the linking wasn't actually successful, but I withhold knowing for sure until I can talk to the guy about it.

I appreciate the pinout, I'm planning to start this within the next month, we will see how it goes.

Also an asude, I think the YouTube poster who mentioned the custom adapter might be on facebook, I did a little digging and I think it is the same David Nolte as is in both the YT post and the game credits. I wasn't sure if I should reach out though, particularly as I don't have a Facebook account, and getting random messages from new accounts is probably a warning sign to regular users

Posted on: 11/30 3:08
Joined 2016/5/28
7 Posts
Long Time User (2 Years)
Just wanted to say that I'm working on a write-up of how Faceball 2000 works in multiplayer beyond four players. Wanted to mention that Penguin Wars actually doesn't support 10 players at once, it only has a tournament mode that allows you to do the normal 1v1 matches with up to 10 entries in the tournament. You do not actually get 10 players concurrently.

Posted on: 11/30 17:00
VB Gamer
Joined 2017/9/15
39 Posts
Long Time User (1 Year)
Please include in your writeup that Faceball 2000 doesn't support more than 4 players without aftermarket modifications. I know it's famously known as the only game that supports daisy-chained 4-player adapters, but it doesn't. It was planned to, but Nintendo rejected the idea of a modified 4-player adapter that supported chaining.

Everyone who has ever tried it using stock OEM equipment has failed. Only people who have used modified equipment have been able to play it.

I'm sure you know all this, but I chime in every time I see it discussed online, since the misinformation is really all over the internet.

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post