Register To Post

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

This is a lot more fun/convenient than I expected
Posted on: 2011/3/20 2:53
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2010/2/14
USA
333 Posts
10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (9 Years)
http://i.imgur.com/fhebL.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/9vsfV.jpg

Total cost = ~$40.
I know a few other people on here have already done this but now that I have it set up I don't know why it took me this long!

Re: This is a lot more fun/convenient than I expected
Posted on: 2011/3/20 22:30
PVB Elite
Joined 2010/2/19
USA
559 Posts
ContributorLong Time User (9 Years) Top Donator: 2nd20+ Game Ratings
Looks great!
I've been meaning to get around to something like this too.

I assume that you find playing VB much more comfortable and convenient now?

Posted on: 2011/3/21 5:13
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2010/2/14
USA
333 Posts
It's incredible, I can actually sit back in my chair with proper posture, pull the VB up to my face and plug the controller in. The only downside is I have to adjust it again to get a new game in/out.

Posted on: 2011/3/21 5:44
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/3/10
USA
907 Posts
Top10 PosterLong Time User (8 Years) 30+ Game Ratings
what type of lamp did your purchase? where did you buy it from? how did you mount the vb stand holder into the lamp?

i'm curious because i want to do this project.

Posted on: 2011/3/21 6:03
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2010/2/14
USA
333 Posts
I can't link directly to it because Menards' website sucks, but I got a magnifying lamp spring-arm from Menards in the lighting department. At my local Menards it was the only spring-arm lamp or magnifier they had. Cost about $40. To modify it, I cut the power cord for the magnifier on both ends and then the magnifier just screws off. Now there were two triangle pieces on the end but the VB stand assembly wouldn't fit through both of them so I had to unscrew one of them. Then I drilled through the mounting hole because the VB stand screw was too big to fit the original hole. Then I dismantled the VB stand and tried to screw the mounting clip/bracket onto the end of the spring arm, but it was too loose and ended up flopping around. So I went to the hardware store and bought 4 washers/spacers and put them in between the VB stand screw and the end of the spring arm. Screwed everything tight and then you can pop the VB on and off just like you do on the normal stand.

Total cost: $40 for the magnifier + a few washers

Posted on: 2011/3/22 3:01
Nintendoid!
Joined 2003/7/28
USA
110 Posts
Long Time User (15 Years)
A+ work! I also see the VBoot cart at home on your desk. :)

Posted on: 2011/3/22 11:33
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2010/2/15
Netherlands
250 Posts
Long Time User (9 Years)
This is awesome. If actual VR as imagined in the 90's was a thing of the present, it would look like this.

Posted on: 2011/3/26 8:03
Joined 2011/3/26
1 Posts
Long Time User (8 Years)
Nice!

Posted on: 2011/4/3 20:39
VB Gamer
Joined 2011/3/20
15 Posts
10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (8 Years)
That is so sexy. That's the main qualm I have with the Virtual Boy, because my posture is terrible enough as it is, and this completely fixes it. I'm extremely envious of your craftiness.

Posted on: 2011/4/5 21:05
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2010/2/14
USA
333 Posts
Quote:

bahooney wrote:
That is so sexy. That's the main qualm I have with the Virtual Boy, because my posture is terrible enough as it is, and this completely fixes it. I'm extremely envious of your craftiness.

Thanks, but I can't take the credit for the idea. There are other posters on here who have done this before with equipment they had laying around. I didn't happen to have a spring arm around the house so I figured out the cheapest way I could do it and it ended up working pretty well. It's kind of funny though, as soon as I finished this, the VB that you see in the pictures got the glitchy screen problem.

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post