Register To Post

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Re: VB games displayed on 3DS
Posted on: 2011/3/21 2:12
PVB Elite
Joined 2003/7/25
USA
1507 Posts
PVBCC 1stCoderContributor#3 PosterHOTY09 EntryLong Time User (15 Years) App CoderPVBCC 2010 EntryPVBCC 2013 Entry
Quote:

Vaughanabe13 wrote:
I'd be willing to bet my life savings it won't work. The camera spacing on the 3DS would never be able to pick up each VB screen without crosstalk. Also I know how the display works, I just didn't do a good job of explaining it. the camera would see a 2D array but it would be all blurred because the 3DS/DS has horrible cameras.

And even if any of this were possible it still wouldn't work because sources say the "3d picture" feature of the 3DS is crap and doesn't even work well at all.

I don't know what the spacing is on the cameras, so that's definitely a possible problem, but I don't know why there'd be any crosstalk (by that I'm assuming you're talking about one eye seeing the other eye's image). As long as the cameras were looking into the eyes of the VB (as HT was proposing), each eye would only see its own image. If the spacing was too wide or narrow though, you could have a depth bias though, unless that's configurable.

And you don't really need good quality cameras, but you do need everything to be very steady. I played VB crosseyed on my PC screen w/ two $10 webcams (640x480) many years ago. The picture quality wasn't great, but it was playable.

DogP

Posted on: 2011/3/21 5:41
Nintendoid!
Joined 2009/8/11
USA
112 Posts
Long Time User (10 Years)
You could make a mirror box to fix any camera spacing issues.

Posted on: 2011/3/21 10:07
PVB Elite
Joined 2008/11/10
Great Britain
512 Posts
ContributorLong Time User (11 Years)
All speculation for now, I'll be giving it a go just to see if something can be seen, all points mentioned seem relevant, I think an image of some sort will be generated but how clear etc is another matter, I'll know in a few days, it was only ever a fleeting thought i had on a hazy evening last week.

Posted on: 2011/3/21 16:30
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2010/2/14
USA
333 Posts
10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (10 Years)
Quote:

Hedgetrimmer wrote:
All speculation for now, I'll be giving it a go just to see if something can be seen, all points mentioned seem relevant, I think an image of some sort will be generated but how clear etc is another matter, I'll know in a few days, it was only ever a fleeting thought i had on a hazy evening last week.

Alright, post back when it doesn't work. I've been reading all the preliminary reviews of the 3DS and they all say the 3D camera feature is garbage. You do realize there is no 3D video yet, right? I can't think of any way this idea would be useful other than a single still image of a VB screen, which would be pretty uneventful for the amount of work it would take to get it to work.

Here is the camera spacing:
http://www.pocket-lint.com/images/dyn ... a965699b06398cdfa1b93.jpg

Posted on: 2011/3/22 10:07
PVB Elite
Joined 2008/11/10
Great Britain
512 Posts
Quote:

Vaughanabe13 wrote:
Alright, post back when it doesn't work. I've been reading all the preliminary reviews of the 3DS and they all say the 3D camera feature is garbage. You do realize there is no 3D video yet, right? I can't think of any way this idea would be useful other than a single still image of a VB screen, which would be pretty uneventful for the amount of work it would take to get it to work.

So do you not want me to post if it does work?

I did start the thread with 'this is a pointless exercise' you seem to be a little riled by the idea, its just for fun, kind of like a game, chill. If i want to play VB in 3D, I'll use the head unit, and yes I'm aware there is no video, again i never mentioned making a movie or even taking a picture, i just posted a daft idea, but I'll be sure to never do that again, slaps wrists for trying to enjoy life.

Posted on: 2011/3/22 18:50
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2010/2/14
USA
333 Posts
Quote:

Hedgetrimmer wrote:
Quote:

Vaughanabe13 wrote:

So do you not want me to post if it does work?

Well it won't work so the point is moot. I'm glad you enjoy life, I do too.

Posted on: 2011/3/23 4:08
Nintendoid!
Joined 2009/8/11
USA
112 Posts
Long Time User (10 Years)
Don't worry HT, the rest of us find it at least mildly amusing!

Posted on: 2011/3/23 7:17
PVB Elite
Joined 2003/7/25
USA
1507 Posts
PVBCC 1stCoderContributor#3 PosterHOTY09 EntryLong Time User (15 Years) App CoderPVBCC 2010 EntryPVBCC 2013 Entry
Quote:

mbuchman wrote:
Don't worry HT, the rest of us find it at least mildly amusing!

LOL! I found that last quote quite amusing! ;)

Quote:

Vaughanabe13 wrote:
Well it won't work so the point is moot.

DogP

Posted on: 2011/3/23 11:23
PVB Elite
Joined 2008/11/10
Great Britain
512 Posts
For a pointless exercise that WON'T work (without trying how can you be so definite and know the out come), someone has spent a stack of time thinking and posting, your input is greatly appreciated, keep up the good work.

Posted on: 2011/3/23 17:34
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2010/2/14
USA
333 Posts
Ok, assuming that is actually possible and will work, what exactly will you get out of this "stack of time" spent? Seems like a waste to me but I honestly don't care what other people do with their time. Think on.

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post