Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Re: Link Cable project interest
Posted on: 2010/12/7 22:21
PVB Elite
Joined 2010/2/19
USA
559 Posts
ContributorLong Time User (9 Years) Top Donator: 2nd20+ Game Ratings
I vote for sealing the link cables in a can.

Attach file:

jpg  sealer3.jpg (8.60 KB)
1286_4cfea5d63283a.jpg 200X237 px

Posted on: 2010/12/8 3:22
PVB Elite
Joined 2003/7/25
USA
1507 Posts
PVBCC 1stCoderContributor#3 PosterHOTY09 EntryLong Time User (15 Years) App CoderPVBCC 2010 EntryPVBCC 2013 Entry
Quote:

Hedgetrimmer wrote:
Quote:

DogP wrote:
it looks like 18mm x 6mm x 6mm would be fine, though I can't say 100% for sure until I actually get one built.

Ah i didn't think we were doing a micro size cable for your 1:10 scaled VB, just having a dig, its cm not mm I hope you mean.......

LOL! Yes... cm, not mm. Sorry, I've been doing too many dimensions in mm lately :P .

DogP

Posted on: 2010/12/9 9:09
PVB Elite
Joined 2003/7/25
USA
1507 Posts
PVBCC 1stCoderContributor#3 PosterHOTY09 EntryLong Time User (15 Years) App CoderPVBCC 2010 EntryPVBCC 2013 Entry
Quote:

VirtualJockey wrote:

You know... that's not actually a bad idea. Well... THAT is a terrible idea, but you might be onto something. There may be a commonly available container that'd work great for this. I don't know what that would be, but I'll keep my eyes open ;) .

DogP

Posted on: 2010/12/10 1:46
PVB Elite
Joined 2010/2/19
USA
559 Posts
Quote:

DogP wrote:
Quote:

VirtualJockey wrote:

You know... that's not actually a bad idea. Well... THAT is a terrible idea, but you might be onto something. There may be a commonly available container that'd work great for this. I don't know what that would be, but I'll keep my eyes open ;) .

DogP

Eat a WHOLE bunch of nuts or pringles chips. Something with with a plastic cap without a company logo on it. Then just paste some labels on with glue-stick.

This approach may be too "ghetto" for such an expensive cable though.
Anything is better than nothing. Even a plain white box with a small sticker on it is better than a loose cable.

I'm very much a collector, but the homebrew community seems to mostly be...not collectors. As cool as a professional box would be, I have fears that it would make like 10 people really happy, and add $5 to each order for everyone else that just doesn't give a hoot.
If you want to make fancy packaging, making it an option is my advice.

Posted on: 2010/12/19 11:52
PVB Elite
Joined 2003/7/25
USA
1507 Posts
Just a quick update... we've finalized the design (Hedgetrimmer did an AMAZING job on the model), and I've placed the order for the connectors. The first prototypes should be ready in a few weeks. I'll post an update and some pics when they arrive :) .

DogP

Posted on: 2010/12/20 0:50
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2007/10/27
Sweden
417 Posts
ContributorLong Time User (11 Years) 40+ Game Ratings
Is it just me that think the link cable is a bad idea?
I mean there is harldy any 2 player games at all

Maybe people should make a game that has like 10+ mini games in it but all are only 2 player mini games

Posted on: 2010/12/20 3:24
PVB Elite
Joined 2003/7/25
USA
1507 Posts
I'm not sure I see your point. How is making a link cable a "bad idea", because there's few 2P games? I think one of the biggest reasons we don't have 2P games is because hardly anyone has link cables.

Actually... I'm probably forgetting someone, but I can't remember anyone else that even has a link cable... so without a link cable, it's pretty hard/pointless to write/test linked games. Has anyone else written 2P games/demos/apps?

On the other hand... it may be a "bad idea" for you to buy one, since there's hardly any 2P games, and you won't be using the cable to write any of your own.

DogP

Posted on: 2010/12/20 13:13
PVB Elite
Joined 2008/11/10
Great Britain
507 Posts
ContributorLong Time User (10 Years)
Quote:

akumie wrote:
Is it just me that think the link cable is a bad idea?
I mean there is harldy any 2 player games at all

Maybe people should make a game that has like 10+ mini games in it but all are only 2 player mini games

So if a set of 2P mini games was to be made would a cable not be needed to test this, chicken egg type scenario occuring i think.

Also sorry Akumie but man you left yourself open wide for this one.....

You also need a friend to play 2P games with, so yeah maybe it is a bad idea for you to buy a cable.

Posted on: 2010/12/20 18:06
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2007/10/27
Sweden
417 Posts
ContributorLong Time User (11 Years) 40+ Game Ratings
jeje well 3D BattleSnake is a 2P game so there must have been some way to actually make the link cable before

Just saying that if you made like 10+ 2P mini games and then showed of some some gameplay demo then more people might want to buy your link cable

Posted on: 2010/12/21 21:29
PVB Elite
Joined 2010/2/19
USA
559 Posts
Quote:

Hedgetrimmer wrote:

So if a set of 2P mini games was to be made would a cable not be needed to test this, chicken egg type scenario occuring i think.

Quote:

akumie wrote:
jeje well 3D BattleSnake is a 2P game so there must have been some way to actually make the link cable before

Yes Akumi, people hacked their own cables.
Quote:

akumie wrote:
Just saying that if you made like 10+ 2P mini games and then showed of some some gameplay demo then more people might want to buy your link cable

As Hedgetrimmer said, Chicken or the egg.
Well Akumi, if you'd like to development some 2 player games I'm sure it would help link cable sales. Wait, but what's the point in all the effort because not many people have link cables, right?

The cable project is an expensive specialty item, and I have my doubts that DogP is doing this for the money. The cables will sell out, and in a year or two the people that bought the cables will be enjoying 2p bliss. The cable sells it self to the audience that's interested.

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post