Re: Link Cable project interest
Posted on: 2010/12/6 14:32
Nintendoid!
Joined 2003/7/28
USA
110 Posts
Long Time User (15 Years)
Quote:
I've always wanted to try vacuum forming as well...

That would be cool, but it wouldn't be able to close again once its been opened (assuming you're speaking of blister packaging), correct? Though it would be awesome to have a cardboard box with a vacuum formed window in the front like the Pokemon Mini or Gameboy Micro packaging.
Edited by VBSAM on 2010/12/6 14:54

Posted on: 2010/12/6 15:19
PVB Elite
Joined 2003/7/25
USA
1507 Posts
PVBCC 1stCoderContributor#3 PosterHOTY09 EntryLong Time User (15 Years) App CoderPVBCC 2010 EntryPVBCC 2013 Entry
Quote:

VBSAM wrote:
Quote:
I've always wanted to try vacuum forming as well...

That would be cool, but it wouldn't be able to close again once its been opened (assuming you're speaking of blister packaging), correct? Though it would be awesome to have a cardboard box with a vacuum formed window in the front like the Pokemon Mini or Gameboy Micro packaging.

I was thinking like the blister packaging, but the resealable kind, where it's just pops open and closed. I also thought about a tray insert for inside the box w/ a clear window, but that seems too complicated (then I'm vacuum forming, making a box, AND putting in a clear window).

I have no experience with vacuum forming (except the Vac-U-Former - like the Toymax version: http://www.samstoybox.com/toys/Vac-U-Form.html ), so this probably isn't something I can just pick up and do perfectly on my first attempt.

DogP

Posted on: 2010/12/7 0:07
Nintendoid!
Joined 2009/8/11
USA
112 Posts
Long Time User (10 Years)
I don't want to spend $10 just on packaging! A simple box would be fine.

But anyway, if you are keeping track, I would want black, one complete cable, and then 1 connector by itself. I foresee debugging with the link port becoming a reality in the future...

And actually, I would probably want my single connector to have a cable on it now that I think about it... it would make my life slightly easier.

You should talk to Chris about maybe setting up a special "limited edition" combo pack that had a flash boy plus and a link cable... Make fancy packing for that and charge a bit extra to cover the NRE costs.

Posted on: 2010/12/7 10:27
PVB Elite
Joined 2003/7/25
USA
1507 Posts
PVBCC 1stCoderContributor#3 PosterHOTY09 EntryLong Time User (15 Years) App CoderPVBCC 2010 EntryPVBCC 2013 Entry
Quote:

I don't want to spend $10 just on packaging! A simple box would be fine.

Heh, don't worry... if packaging adds any significant cost, it won't be done.

Quote:

You should talk to Chris about maybe setting up a special "limited edition" combo pack that had a flash boy plus and a link cable... Make fancy packing for that and charge a bit extra to cover the NRE costs.

That'd be pretty cool, though I hope these will be done before Q2 2011 :) .

DogP

Posted on: 2010/12/7 11:15
Administrator
Joined 2000/1/8
Germany
2516 Posts
Highscore Top10Highscore Top ScoreCoder#1 PosterHOTY09 1stLong Time User (15 Years) App Coder90+ Game Ratings
A box would be nice, and I'd like to help with my experience of building FlashBoy boxes and by designing (part of?) the box, if I can find the time.

For the raw printed sheets, a box should only cost a few dollars. It's the time needed to assemble the boxes which plays a much higher role. What are you people willing to pay extra for a FlashBoy-style box? I'll check out if it's doable at that price.

I think the link cable box should follow the artwork and measurements of the official headphone box, at least this is how I'd imagine the offcial PlayLink box:

http://www.planetvb.com/modules/hardw ... s&sec=images&id=9&page=19

I need to do high res scans of the headphones box anyway, so I could use those as a template.

A FB Plus/link cable bundle would be nice, probably a bit hard to coordinate. If it sells well, maybe there will be a second batch of link cables coming out at about the same time as the second FlashBoy Plus batch? :-)

Posted on: 2010/12/7 11:36
Nintendoid!
Joined 2009/8/3
Spain
129 Posts
Long Time User (10 Years) Donator60+ Game Ratings
If Link cable box looks like the headphone box it would be nice!! I will pay an extra for Link cable box

Posted on: 2010/12/7 12:03
PVB Elite
Joined 2003/7/25
USA
1507 Posts
Yeah, I like the style of the headphone box, though I think that'd be a little small. The current design of the link connector is just a little bit smaller than the VB controller connector. The cable will likely be thicker, as well as longer. I'm expecting the cable will be similar to (if not actually) CAT5 cable. So, you could check the size of a ~6ft Ethernet cable, plus extra room for larger connectors, to get an idea for box size.

I was figuring on looping the cable and putting it in a square box, though there's no reason it couldn't be tied in a bundle and put in a rectangular box (probably more space efficient).

But yes, if you (or anyone) would like to design a box, or even just graphics for the box, that'd be really cool!

For costs, I don't think a box should add more than a buck or two to the cost. It's already expensive, and I really don't want to raise the price, just for packaging. I'm willing to eat a minor cost, just for the "coolness" factor that comes with having a box. I wouldn't have expected it to be too difficult to assemble though... and I wrong?

And I have a color laser printer... I dunno if they make "box" sheets or something, that you can print directly on, with perforated cut-outs for standard box sizes.

BTW, if you'd prefer to talk via PM about box mfg costs/etc, feel free to drop me a note.

And yeah... a FB/Link combo would be cool... and could be pre-loaded with a cool demo or something, though I'm not sure whether it really makes sense to bundle a 2P cable with just one flash cart ;) .

Along those lines though... I have designed a USB adapter that'd fit completely inside the shell (so you'd plug the USB cable directly into the link plug), to allow debugging, PC link, etc. I'll probably hold off on making them right now, but once these connectors are made, I may run a few of them and see how it works. If we can get GDB or something going, that'd probably be a good combination... Flash cart + PC link. That'd be a great VB dev tool.

DogP

Posted on: 2010/12/7 12:26
Administrator
Joined 2000/1/8
Germany
2516 Posts
Highscore Top10Highscore Top ScoreCoder#1 PosterHOTY09 1stLong Time User (15 Years) App Coder90+ Game Ratings
No, assembling is not difficult, just takes a bit of time. I get the FlashBoy Boxes on raw printed sheets from an online printing service, cut them out with a knife, cut the round corners out with scissors, mark out where they will be folded, then glue them together. The link cable boxes would not need the cartridge holder and therefore require less time to assemble, though.

I just took a 2.5m ethernet cable and tied it together. Needed approx. 18x6x6 cm of space. Do you think that'd be sufficient?

Heh, depending on how many FlashBoys will be build in the future, we could offer a very limited premium development package featuring two FlashBoys, a link cable and the USB adapter. ;)

Posted on: 2010/12/7 17:48
PVB Elite
Joined 2003/7/25
USA
1507 Posts
I just took a quick look... yeah, it looks like 18mm x 6mm x 6mm would be fine, though I can't say 100% for sure until I actually get one built.

I looked around online for custom box printing... it seems like there's quite a few places, though I don't know about prices for most (most have RFQ). This place seems reasonable: http://www.actualprint.com/ , though their site absolutely sucks! Here's an example: http://www.actualprint.com/flapboxes.htm , $1.65ea for 250 of them... $0.99ea for 500. I assume a place like that comes pre-cut, and just need to fold and maybe glue.

DogP

Posted on: 2010/12/7 18:15
PVB Elite
Joined 2008/11/10
Great Britain
507 Posts
ContributorLong Time User (11 Years)
Quote:

DogP wrote:
it looks like 18mm x 6mm x 6mm would be fine, though I can't say 100% for sure until I actually get one built.

Ah i didn't think we were doing a micro size cable for your 1:10 scaled VB, just having a dig, its cm not mm I hope you mean.......

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post