Register To Post

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Re: Link Cable project interest
Posted on: 2013/10/1 17:52

Joined 2013/1/30
USA
-1 Posts
Long Time User (7 Years)
Count me in for 1, assuming the price is at or near the $40 target price mentioned above.

Thanks!
-Jason

Posted on: 2013/10/2 5:04
PVB Elite
Joined 2003/7/25
USA
1507 Posts
PVBCC 1stCoderContributor#3 PosterHOTY09 EntryLong Time User (15 Years) App CoderPVBCC 2010 EntryPVBCC 2013 Entry
Quote:

morintari wrote:
Thanks for your answer DogP But i'm also wondering if it is possible to link up multi VB's via link cable and USB hub without a computer. Is it possible to write a program and put it on a flash drive so that it automatically executes when plugged into the hub so you could bypass the computer all together?

No... if you're using USB, this will only act as a device, not a host, so there has to be a computer (USB cable can't talk to USB cable without a computer). You could use a small/cheap computer (like a Raspberry Pi or something similar), as long as it supports USB and you can run your own code on it.

DogP

Posted on: 2013/10/2 6:00

Joined 2007/12/14
-1 Posts
CoderLong Time User (12 Years) App Coder
I can't believe I haven't responded to this yet... Absolutely put me down for at least two-- one VB<->VB and one raw cable for my own projects. My own homemade cable looks shameful compared to this. Very pro. :)

Posted on: 2013/10/2 18:11

Joined 2008/4/12
USA
-1 Posts
Long Time User (12 Years)
Put me down for a VB to VB and a USB to vb.

Posted on: 2013/10/4 20:08

Joined 2006/11/16
-1 Posts
Long Time User (13 Years)
Can we get an update on cost per cable type and cost of individual connectors?

Do individual connectors have all six contacts or are there master/slave variants?

cYa,

Tauwasser

Posted on: 2013/10/4 22:59

Joined 2012/10/16
-1 Posts
Long Time User (7 Years)
I'm really glad there's still a community for this. I hope to see this used in some quality homebrew.

Posted on: 2013/10/5 0:32

Joined 2007/10/26
USA
-1 Posts
ContributorTop10 PosterLong Time User (12 Years) Donator
I'm really interested in this project - as most people are.

But, having said that (typed that ??)..I think it's a bit pre-mature to ask for prices and talk about pre-orders and how many of what you guys want to pick up :). I think he was just showing a beta and telling people about his progress (WHICH IS AMAZING).

Way to go dogp..and big props from the ..bigmak :) heh

If some of the beta cords or tests cords ARE functional (but don't fit quite right..short cord ect...), I would love to see a way to get them into the hands of some of the developers (thunderstruck, guy perfect, danb, runnerpack..this could go on..).

Anything I can do to help dogp...just let me know.

-Eric

Posted on: 2013/10/5 6:21
PVB Elite
Joined 2003/7/25
USA
1507 Posts
PVBCC 1stCoderContributor#3 PosterHOTY09 EntryLong Time User (15 Years) App CoderPVBCC 2010 EntryPVBCC 2013 Entry
Quote:

Tauwasser wrote:
Can we get an update on cost per cable type and cost of individual connectors?

bigmak is right about this... there's really no way to estimate the costs right now. I just thought I owed you guys an update on the progress. To date, all prototypes have been 3D prints, which are (hopefully) more expensive (per connector) and lower quality (hopefully, as well ;) ) than the final product will be.

Quote:

Tauwasser wrote:
Do individual connectors have all six contacts or are there master/slave variants?

Eight contacts? ;) All connectors will have all 8 pins in them, though a VB<->VB cable will have 6 wires connecting between them (connecting in the correct pinout), and of course a USB cable will only have 4. If anyone wants the raw connectors, it'll just be a shell and pins (you can choose your own cable type and number of wires).

Quote:

bigmak wrote:
I would love to see a way to get them into the hands of some of the developers (thunderstruck, guy perfect, danb, runnerpack..this could go on..).

Yeah, once we get a final 3D printed shell design, I'm hoping to offer a few cables with printed shells to developers, so people can start playing around with it while we're waiting for the final shells (I'd send them replacement shells when they arrive). Of course that depends on how long the final shells will take... if they'd only take a few weeks, then I'd probably just wait for them.

DogP

Posted on: 2013/10/22 7:11

Joined 2013/8/23
USA
-1 Posts
Long Time User (6 Years)
I'm getting in on this a bit late, but count me in for a VB to VB cable if it's still an option. I've yet to convert my friends to the VB lifestyle but this may help :)

Posted on: 2013/10/22 18:31

Joined 2013/9/2
-1 Posts
Long Time User (6 Years)
Great concept

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post