267 Posts
CoderLong Time User (12 Years) PVBCC 2010 3rd
Quote:

Raverrevolution wrote:
Quote:

gunpeiyokoifan wrote:
Quote:

Fwirt wrote:
Also, there's a freeware homebrew game for DC that you can download and burn called dRxLaX

I want to avoid CD-R games since I hear it burns out the laser causing it to slowly die

I used to burn games all the time and played them straight up and I can tell you first hand that yes, it does kill the laser badly. I ended up replacing the laser and now my launch console still works good.

Yeowch! Better stop playing that then. I've only booted homebrew a few times, but I'd like to keep my Dreamcast functioning as long as possible. I recently got Fatal Fury: MotW fro someone who swears it worked on their Dreamcast, but I can't get it to play on mine. I hope this isn't the cause! Thanks for the tip!

Re: Dreamcast
Posted on: 2010/9/11 5:31
PVB Elite
Joined 2003/7/25
USA
1507 Posts
PVBCC 1stCoderContributor#3 PosterHOTY09 EntryLong Time User (15 Years) App CoderPVBCC 2010 EntryPVBCC 2013 Entry
I've basically ONLY run CD-Rs on my Dreamcast and it still works.

DogP

Posted on: 2010/9/11 6:08
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2010/2/14
USA
333 Posts
10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (9 Years)
Quote:

DogP wrote:
I've basically ONLY run CD-Rs on my Dreamcast and it still works.

DogP

Same here, and I've been doing it for years with no problems. Then again, I bought the system for $20 on eBay and it's not in the best physical shape, so if my laser ever goes bad I would probably just get a new one.

Posted on: 2010/9/11 6:27
PVB Elite
Joined 2003/7/25
USA
1507 Posts
PVBCC 1stCoderContributor#3 PosterHOTY09 EntryLong Time User (15 Years) App CoderPVBCC 2010 EntryPVBCC 2013 Entry
I bought my system new, so it's always been well taken care of, but it got a LOT of play from CDs (though I haven't played it much in the last few years). I do remember some games causing the drive to be really noisy, so of course I didn't play them.

I wonder what the reasoning would be on why CDs would be tougher on the laser though. The system was meant to be able to play CDs (audio), so the physical CD shouldn't be a problem... maybe the low quality CD-Rs we had back then were harder to read and caused the laser to turn up the power (who didn't buy the cheapest "free after rebate" CD-Rs back then ;) ).

The other possibility is that EVERYONE played CDs on their systems, so anyone who does have a laser die says "oh yeah... I played CDs on here, now my laser is dead", rather than "oh yeah... my system is 11 years old, now my laser is dead".

DogP

Posted on: 2010/9/11 10:09
PVB Elite
Joined 2003/7/26
USA
1462 Posts
PVBCC EntryCoderContributorSpecial AchievementTop10 PosterHOTY09 EntryLong Time User (15 Years) App Coder20+ Game RatingsPVBCC 2013 Entry
It's too bad there isn't a way to check the "health" of your laser. You could actually prove one way or the other by doing regular "check-ups".

I'm inclined to believe DogP's "cheap CD-Rs" theory, though, since some people turn up the laser power manually to use CD-RWs (which reflect less light or scatter it more or have lower contrast or whatever).

Posted on: 2010/9/11 16:27
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2010/2/14
USA
333 Posts
10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (9 Years)
This is what I found about it from reading message boards:

"In most cases, the wear is gradual. You'll notice the Dreamcast will go back to the BIOS / configuration screen and ask you to insert a game. Another telltale sign is an unusual amount of activity coming from the GD-ROM unit. That's usually because the unit has to keep rereading the data it's having a hard time picking up.

The problem with reading CD-R media stems from the way the unit was designed. The GD-ROM format is a high-density medium with a lot more data packed into the same area a CD-ROM would normally occupy. When you create a backup or otherwise, the format of the GD-ROM format is lost (if you look at a real GD-ROM disc, you can see a special protected area towards the center). The data gets misaligned and spaced out. This can occasionally be caused by writing the disc too fast or overburning."

Posted on: 2010/9/12 2:44
PVB Elite
Joined 2003/7/25
USA
1507 Posts
That explanation doesn't really state any relevant information on the laser wearing out from CD-R though. The first paragraph explains what happens when the laser wears out (from CD-R or GD-ROM use). The second paragraph just talks about a GD-ROM in general. And the area in the middle is the CD-ROM compatible area (which tells you to use in the DC, not a normal CD player). None of that has anything to do with a laser working harder... even if the data got fragmented (which it didn't), that'd just cause the motor to run around a lot.

I personally just think the lasers wear out anyway. Lasers wear out in all the other systems (PS 1-3, Xbox/360... why not the DC?).

DogP

Posted on: 2010/9/12 5:06
VB Gamer
Joined 2007/5/31
USA
44 Posts
Long Time User (11 Years)
Dogp, I think you nailed it on the cheap cd theory. That's what I used to use. I would go to computer shows and buy them for about $20 a pack and they would work fine, but much later on the tops would peel off easy. I'm pretty sure that's what caused my old cd burner to die out too.

Also remember that I have a launch console, so they could have upped the quality of the lasers in later consoles.

Replacing the laser is actually quite easy as long as you find the whole laser assembly. You just pop the old one out and put the new one in.

Posted on: 2010/9/12 9:24
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2006/9/29
USA
267 Posts
CoderLong Time User (12 Years) PVBCC 2010 3rd
My understanding was that the badly spaced data on the disk would cause the drive motor to burn out faster from doing so much seeking, not that the laser would fry. Unfortunately, I think all we buy is cheap CDs. It's also possible that, like DogP said, some consoles wear faster than others. I see DRE Gamecubes turn up in local thriftshops all the time. Funny story, my current Gamecube is one I got for $3 that I cranked up the power on to squeeze a little more life out of it, having traded my good Gamecube for my Dreamcast... At any rate, since I don't play backups and only really have 1 burned game anyway, I probably just shouldn't fret about it.

Posted on: 2010/9/14 2:49
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2010/7/20
USA
479 Posts
ContributorLong Time User (8 Years) Donator
I got my Dreamcast in the mail!

I have no game to test on it, so I'm unaware if it works or not, I know its a bit dirtier than it was described or pictured... the controllers are even dirtier (I didn't test the two VMU's to see if their batteries died yet though) it seems the dirt or whatever it is, is kinda like something sticky tan/brown (not spilled on it) dried on it (and its even in the creases of the controllers and the letters of "POWER" and "OPEN")... I hope this is just dirt/chocolate/food and not something more disgusting

I knew I should have just got a Dreamcast at the retro game store thats close to me but my friend was all "no, ebay has a better choice of Dreamcasts" yes but Play N Trade cleans their consoles

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post