Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Re: Project VBoot
Posted on: 2011/2/20 18:34
PVB Elite
Joined 2010/1/5
Sweden
560 Posts
Long Time User (10 Years) Donator30+ Game Ratings
Bigger board doesn't seem like a big problem if you weren't planning on having a shell anyway. ;-)

Posted on: 2011/2/21 17:29
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2010/2/14
USA
333 Posts
10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (10 Years)
Quote:

e5frog wrote:
Bigger board doesn't seem like a big problem if you weren't planning on having a shell anyway. ;-)

Agreed, but I know some people were talking about making custom cases so I wanted to try and make the board small enough anyway. Oh well.

Posted on: 2011/2/21 18:15
Nintendoid!
Joined 2003/7/28
USA
110 Posts
Long Time User (15 Years)
Quote:

...I know some people were talking about making custom cases...

Cases are for chumps.

I would just make the PCB long enough to include a dedicated component-less portion on its protruding end for grabbing the cart when pulling it out of the system, to avoid any unwanted contact or damage to components.

Posted on: 2011/2/21 20:27
PVB Elite
Joined 2010/1/5
Sweden
560 Posts
I agree, when you have a working prototype and when you're going to make the final board there needs to be some part to grip to get it out of the VB.

Posted on: 2011/2/23 23:26
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2010/2/14
USA
333 Posts
Quote:

e5frog wrote:
I agree, when you have a working prototype and when you're going to make the final board there needs to be some part to grip to get it out of the VB.

Yeah, it will definitely be long enough to grab but I didn't think about making a section without components, that's a good idea! It probably won't be too much extra as far as board costs and I'll have more room for traces which is always good.

Posted on: 2011/2/23 23:56
Nintendoid!
Joined 2003/7/28
USA
110 Posts
Long Time User (15 Years)
Quote:

I didn't think about making a section without components, that's a good idea!

Just put a VBoot logo on this component-less portion and you've got a nice looking donor-cart-free solution.

Posted on: 2011/2/24 1:54
Nintendoid!
Joined 2009/8/11
USA
112 Posts
Long Time User (10 Years)
If you are cheap and don't want to pay for the extra pcb, then you could make a "pull out ring" by bending a paperclip into a "C" shape and put two vias in the PCB to solder the paperclip to. If the PCB is at least the same size as a regular VB game then inserting should be easy, and the "pull out ring" would make removing the cart easy as pie. It would probably be easier than trying to grab onto a bare PCB, unless you routed a finger hole into the exposed PCB.

Posted on: 2011/2/24 2:12
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2010/2/14
USA
333 Posts
Quote:

mbuchman wrote:
If you are cheap and don't want to pay for the extra pcb, then you could make a "pull out ring" by bending a paperclip into a "C" shape and put two vias in the PCB to solder the paperclip to. If the PCB is at least the same size as a regular VB game then inserting should be easy, and the "pull out ring" would make removing the cart easy as pie. It would probably be easier than trying to grab onto a bare PCB, unless you routed a finger hole into the exposed PCB.

Actually what I want to do is get a little rubber "grip" that I can solder to the board on the component-less section of the board. Like a rubber bar or nub that you can grip. It will face down while it's in the VB so it won't interfere with the cartridge slot plastic, and it would be easy to grab with your thumb and finger to pop the board out. I don't know if I'll find anything like that but I have an idea of what I want. These suggestions are great though, keep em coming.

Also I'm working on the board right now and for time's sake I'm going to make the prototype fairly beefy so I can spend more time on actually getting the thing working and less time on designing the board. I can optimize that later. I'm hoping by the end of tonight I'll have a board I can ship out and get back in a couple weeks.

Posted on: 2011/2/24 7:10
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2010/2/14
USA
333 Posts
Oooh, pretty new screen! The design passes and I just need to add a few more decoupling caps, clean up some of the messy traces and verify the part packages and it's ready to go to the fab house!

Open in new window

Posted on: 2011/2/24 10:01
PVB Elite
Joined 2010/1/5
Sweden
560 Posts
How will you prevent wobbling up and down if it's a "naked" cart?

If you would add some more length, enough for it to peek out of the opening you could add a semi-circle grip cut in, like the profile of this cart:

Attach file:

jpg  moondust.jpg (15.14 KB)
1239_4d661e5352d8f.jpg 400X300 px

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post