Register To Post

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Re: Project VBoot
Posted on: 2011/3/15 14:18
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2010/2/14
USA
333 Posts
10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (9 Years)
Good news, the boards got here yesterday and I'm almost done assembling them. I just have to touch up a few of the SMD components at work since I don't have high precision soldering equipment at home. The only problem I have noticed so far is the save SRAM chip is wrong - I didn't find out until ordering the part that this chip uses a non-standard pin layout. So either I'm stuck with no save SRAM support on this prototype or I'll need to find an alternate part that has the correct pin layout.

Other than that, the board seems good and I'm excited to start testing it.

Posted on: 2011/3/15 20:23
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2006/9/29
USA
267 Posts
CoderLong Time User (13 Years) PVBCC 2010 3rd
Or you could do some craaaazy green wiring on the SRAM since it's only a prototype. Good to hear it's coming along. I guess we'll hope to see some screenshots soon!

Posted on: 2011/3/15 21:22
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2010/2/14
USA
333 Posts
Quote:

Fwirt wrote:
Or you could do some craaaazy green wiring on the SRAM since it's only a prototype. Good to hear it's coming along. I guess we'll hope to see some screenshots soon!

I would have to buy an expensive daughter board for the SRAM chip and then spend hours soldering wires to the pads on the PCB - I don't think it's worth it for the amount of effort. There is no way I could solder bare wires to the pins without a daughter PCB, there would be tons of shorts because the pins are so freakin tiny.

Without that last SRAM it took me almost 2 hours to assemble the board. Granted it was my first full board assembly and I was doing it without any paste or oven, but still.

I'll post pics when the assembly is done. And then it's a mountain of software and clever engineering ahead of me.

Posted on: 2011/3/15 22:57
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2010/2/14
USA
333 Posts
http://i.imgur.com/2g5Kz.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/YkbEL.jpg

The only components that aren't loaded at this point are the button, programming header, and the save SRAM.

Posted on: 2011/3/15 23:38
Virtual Freak
Joined 2008/8/13
USA
94 Posts
ContributorLong Time User (11 Years)
Wow, first time reading through this thread and I have to say great job, I'm really looking forward to this! Question though, on your site it says...

Quote:
I will go with a “bare pcb” design that does not fit inside a VB donor cartridge.

Will it fit into a modified donor cart though?
Edited by MasterOfPuppets on 2011/3/15 23:53

Posted on: 2011/3/15 23:44
Administrator
Joined 2000/1/8
Germany
2516 Posts
Highscore Top10Highscore Top ScoreCoder#1 PosterHOTY09 1stLong Time User (15 Years) App Coder90+ Game Ratings
Wow, this beast is sexy! :-D

Posted on: 2011/3/15 23:55
PVB Elite
Joined 2010/1/5
Sweden
560 Posts
Long Time User (9 Years) Donator30+ Game Ratings
So, next time make sure you make the PCB right and if that works then it's done for production. ;-)

What's the standard pinout you expected, can't you buy some other chip with the expected pinout instead?

I wonder though if it could all be compressed into fitting a standard cart shell...

You don't need to solder headers on each card, there's spring loaded probe connectors you can attach to your programmer and press against the holes. IIRC these are pretty expensive, looks like miniature gold drill heads.

Eager to see it work.

Posted on: 2011/3/16 0:37
Nintendoid!
Joined 2009/8/11
USA
112 Posts
Long Time User (10 Years)
The Rs and Cs seem kind of awkwardly placed... aren't you supposed to put one right next to each ram chip and the uc? Or is that what C1 and C3 are for? (but nothing looks to be by "SAVE_SRAM")

You should get your artist on and hand route the next one. Autoroute looks funny, and makes tracing a real pain (which will make debugging crappy). But at least there is no shortage in vias for test points!

Posted on: 2011/3/16 1:01
PVB Elite
Joined 2010/1/5
Sweden
560 Posts
Long Time User (9 Years) Donator30+ Game Ratings
Not always, although it's usually seen close to most digital circuits. I guess it depends on the recommendations of the circuit manufacturer.

The FlashBoy doesn't have them:
Open in new window

Posted on: 2011/3/16 4:07
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2010/2/14
USA
333 Posts
Quote:

MasterOfPuppets wrote:
Wow, first time reading through this thread and I have to say great job, I'm really looking forward to this! Question though, on your site it says...

Quote:
I will go with a “bare pcb” design that does not fit inside a VB donor cartridge.

Will it fit into a modified donor cart though?

There's no possible way to fit this design into a donor cart if I use a 2-layer board. I could go to a 4 or more layer design but those are way too expensive to prototype for a guy just out of college and not much money.

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post