Joined 2009/6/22
USA
54 Posts
Long Time User (10 Years)
Quote:

gunpeiyokoifan wrote:
Quote:

HonkeyKong wrote:
They still released games in gray carts even for the GBC, my copy of Link's Awakening DX oddly enough came in a gray cartridge instead of the usual black. I've never seen another like it, then again I haven't really looked for another gray copy. :P

that looks like it might be a bootleg fake Gameboy game... sorry to say!

So I decided to open up my copy and compare it to another GBC game and wow! You were totally right. First problem I noticed, the cartidge doesn't have that slight rattle all GB games have. Second, the screw whole wasn't the same shape and it was difficult to get my security bit inside the whole. Third, the cartidge didn't slide open like the two I compared it to and had to be popped open. Once I got it open it was very clear this was made by hand and quite poorly at that. Its a mess inside compared to the mechanical precision on the soldering of the other carts. Not to mention it looks completely different. Makes me a bit sad I traded my original genuine copy of the regular Links Awakening for a Lynx game. :/ Oh well nothing I can do about it now, and on the plus side I now know several ways to spot fake GBC carts. The contacts are a different color, the screw hole isn't the same, and there is a little box with a number in it on the inside of the cart opening opposite of the contacts that isn't on the bootleg.

Attach file:

jpg  pirate carts front.jpg (740.29 KB)
1095_4d5dcafcd5a8c.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  pirate cart back.jpg (809.60 KB)
1095_4d5dcb29ebdb8.jpg 1024X768 px

Re: The last Game Boy game?
Posted on: 2011/2/19 0:52
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2010/7/20
USA
479 Posts
ContributorLong Time User (9 Years) Donator
so apparently the thing said about real GBA carts having "Nintendo" printed on the circuit board but fake games lack it is also true for GBC games too!

also, I'm glad I helped you find out its a pirate cart (thankfully Links Awakening DX isn't that rare so you could get a real one eventually easily)

Posted on: 2011/2/19 7:10
Virtual Freak
Joined 2009/6/22
USA
54 Posts
Long Time User (10 Years)
Yeah I'm glad its such a relatively common game. I see loose copies of it fairly often at a few local stores.

Posted on: 2011/3/16 11:26
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2010/2/15
Netherlands
250 Posts
Long Time User (9 Years)
I'm a bit late, but on the plus side you have an actual (probably rare) bootleg version of the cartridge. There's a niche interest in pirate carts and consoles, so if you hold onto it someone may one day be very happy with it (even though it's an unmodified game).

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post