Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Re: Virtual boy coding competition video promo
Posted on: 2010/6/2 10:39
PVB Elite
Joined 2008/11/10
Great Britain
507 Posts
ContributorLong Time User (10 Years)
Top work fella, looking forward to full version.

Posted on: 2010/6/2 10:56
VB Gamer
Joined 2010/2/11
Great Britain
34 Posts
Long Time User (9 Years)
Thanks guys, that's a really encouraging response.

@RunnerPack: I'm using Adobe AfterEffects for all the animation and effects; with P/Shop, Illustrator and Premiere for creating other assets and elements.

I shall have a dig through my records as well, surely there's a nice piece of music in there from 1995 or thereabouts

The storyboard for the full length promo has more game footage flying around and the prizes shown off with some more title animation.

YaY!

Posted on: 2010/6/2 12:54
PVB Elite
Joined 2009/12/30
Netherlands
545 Posts
Highscore Top10Highscore Top ScoreContributor10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (9 Years)
I really like it as well! Pays great homage to the Virtual Boy! IT stimulates people to enter the contest, but at the same time shows what to expect from the VB.

Posted on: 2010/6/2 15:03
PVB Elite
Joined 2008/11/10
Great Britain
507 Posts
ContributorLong Time User (10 Years)
Quote:

I shall have a dig through my records as well, surely there's a nice piece of music in there from 1995 or thereabouts

I'm thinking some EON for music, the sounds that fella made were awesome, let me know if you need any tracks bud.
Or we just mess about with the Kaosillator until music is made.

Posted on: 2010/6/2 15:46
PVB Elite
Joined 2003/7/26
USA
1464 Posts
PVBCC EntryCoderContributorSpecial AchievementTop10 PosterHOTY09 EntryLong Time User (15 Years) App Coder20+ Game RatingsPVBCC 2013 Entry
Hey, Hedgetrimmer: Thanks for pointing me at EON! I can't believe I've never heard him before!

@DA: I agree; one of EON's tracks would definitely fit the bill...

Posted on: 2010/6/2 16:17
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2007/10/27
Sweden
417 Posts
ContributorLong Time User (11 Years) 40+ Game Ratings
dont goa hating on my video just because his video looks more 3D^^

Posted on: 2010/6/2 18:48
VB Gamer
Joined 2010/2/11
Great Britain
34 Posts
Long Time User (9 Years)
Quote:

akumie wrote:
dont goa hating on my video just because his video looks more 3D^^

I got a lot of love for your video Akumie, it was inspirational.

@RP: EON shall be tried out in the composition.

@HT: 'Fear is the mindkiller' has to be a favourite? We could spend another 3 weeks composing something on the pad.

Posted on: 2010/6/2 23:00
Virtual Freak
Joined 2010/5/7
Netherlands
74 Posts
Long Time User (9 Years)
Great video's, both of them. What about Chariots of fire from Vangelis? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYJzcUvS_NU To give it an epic touch.

The focus on the text can be in parts where the music changes. My vision using the youtube link for times:
0:00-0:30 give some video of the virtual boy.
0:30-0:32 some text about existing games.
0:32-0:42 some footage of commercial games, and at the end of this fade to some text that shows from 0:41-0:47 telling about that there is a homebrew scene.
0:47-1:07 show some screenshots off planetvb.com.
1:08-1:16 announce there is a coding competition. 1:17-1:37 show some pics related to developing games, maybe showing some virtualboy specific code/SDK.
1:38-1:51 Tell something about how we all are hoping to see some amazing works.
1:52-2:21 show some of the existing homebrew.
2:21-2:33 Say the prices that you can win.
2:33-2:50 shows of the flashboy, the poster, and the t-shirt when there is footage of it.
2:51-3:00 text that everybody is welcome is enter, also people with little or non vb coding experience.
3:01-3:22(when the song ends) show some more footage of homebrew games with very clearly some links to this site, the competition forum and cc10.planetvb.com
all of the video show cc10:planetvb.com a bit smaller in the bottom or top or a corner or whatever).

If only I possessed the skills to make the above
Anyway, that's just my vision of what would inspire people to take a look at the coding competition.
I think it would work perfect with the text in DevilsAvocado's style and having footage in between the information like Akumie did.

Posted on: 2010/6/5 4:11
PVB Elite
Joined 2010/1/5
Sweden
560 Posts
Long Time User (9 Years) Donator30+ Game Ratings
I immediately thought of "Haddaway - What Is Love".
I know it came in 1993, but I'm not certain it was a hit everywhere that same year. ;-)

Perhaps Ace of Base - but I guess it should be something more electronic...

Shaggy Boombastic maybe?

Or "Infinite Mass" - "Area Turns Red" an appropriate title at least.

Posted on: 2010/6/7 15:18
VB Gamer
Joined 2010/2/11
Great Britain
34 Posts
Long Time User (9 Years)
Quote:

svenk91 wrote:
Great video's, both of them. What about Chariots of fire from Vangelis? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYJzcUvS_NU To give it an epic touch...

Svenk, you do have good vision there but unfortunately 3:22 is a bit long for a promo vid and Vangelis don't really scream dynamic energy. I love the Bladerunner soundtrack but I think Chariots of Fire is a leap too far for our VB coding comp.

Quote:

e5Frog wrote:

I immediately thought of "Haddaway - What Is Love".
I know it came in 1993, but I'm not certain it was a hit everywhere that same year. ;-)

Perhaps Ace of Base - but I guess it should be something more electronic...

Shaggy Boombastic maybe?

Not sure quite how to put this Frog but, no, those Eurodance acts will never feature in any work of mine. I know you Swede's have to defend the likes of Basshunter but still...no.

We're going to try a mid-90's techno sound with EON and if I don't use any EON tune it'll be something very similar. The beeps, bleeps and bass are all perfect for the style of title animation I have created and the music itself is particularly reminiscent of the mid-90's computing technology.

I really appreciate all the ideas and input guys, even if it's not the kinds of things I can ultimately work with, thank you and keep 'em coming.

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post