You are not logged in.
Lost Password?

Register To Post

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Re: Bound High ROM - buggy, can anyone help?
Posted on: 2010/3/22 9:43
PVB Elite
Joined 2010/1/5
Sweden
560 Posts
Long Time User (9 Years) Donator30+ Game Ratings
So... I guess the work continues on the original source code then - and if a completely working version is ever done it will be sold very expensive to the nearest friends of the code-wizard or will it be released publicly?

There might even be a fully working version out there but removing certain elements from it and releasing it small to test the waters so to speak ended up in this mess - so that won't happen again... ?

Posted on: 2010/3/22 10:25
PVB Elite
Joined 2010/1/5
Sweden
560 Posts
If there's nothing wrong with Hideyuki Nakanishi's original source code (and if this source code has been forwarded to our gifted programmers unedited) then it should now be possible to use the original compiler to compile a working Bound High!-ISX-file and convert it with the new converters to a fully working game, right?

Posted on: 2010/3/22 14:30
Administrator
Joined 2000/1/8
Germany
2518 Posts
Highscore Top10Highscore Top ScoreCoder#1 PosterHOTY09 1stLong Time User (15 Years) App Coder90+ Game Ratings
Like I said, there still is an unknown bug. The converted ROM seems to run perfectly, but plasma stages and boss stages are broken. RunnerPack and LameBoy are working on it, but it is currently unknown what causes the bug.

The ROM will be released once this is solved.

I just had a closer look at both ROMs, the complete but buggy gccVB version and the broken VUCC version:
(Played on Reality Boy)

Final boss stage
- Normally you would play the boss level (screenshot 1), and if you beat the boss, you see the credit
- In the broken version the boss stage looks like mixture between the final stage and a bonus stage. The boss it mssing and you have a countdown like on a bonus stage. (screenshot 2)
- Oddly, floor plates randomly vanish, just like they would in the correct boss stage, since the final boss sometimes "eats" floor plates when moving over them.
- After finishing that level, you're taken to level one of Pocket & Cushion mode (screenshot 3).
- After finishing that level, you're taken back to the title screen.
- Icons of items hidden under the floor plates are garbled (happened to me only once)

Plasma Stages
- Those are level 6 of each world. Goal is to bounce together the pairs of (+) and (-) balls. There's a counter. (screenshot 4)
- In the broken version, items seem to be placed under the floor and fall down and die once the level started, leaving you with an empty level. Since the counter is missing, Plasma Stages are unsolveable. It also says "boss stage".(screenshot 5)
- BUT Level 7 says "Plasma Stage" in the broken version and there's (garbled) (+) and (-) balls. (screenshot 6)

Normal (not final) boss stages
- Normally, there should be a "Boss Stage" and then a "Bonus Stage", which are effectively the 11th and 12th level of each world. (screenshot 7 & 8)
- In the broken version it says "Level 11" instead of "Boss Stage". Stage is empty and instantly cleared. (screenshot 9)
- The next stage, which should be "Bonus Stage", then says "Boss Stage" and is another empty stage. It can't be finished. (screenshot 9)

This looks like levels are shifted somehow as well as corresponding graphics.

Attach file:

bmp  boss level correct.bmp (85.05 KB)
1_4ba768e87596e.bmp 384X224 px

bmp  boss level broken 1.bmp (85.05 KB)
1_4ba768f4b4e25.bmp 384X224 px

bmp  boss level broken 2.bmp (85.05 KB)
1_4ba768fa4e012.bmp 384X224 px

bmp  W1L06.bmp (85.05 KB)
1_4ba76b9cb9d36.bmp 384X224 px

bmp  broken plasma.bmp (85.05 KB)
1_4ba76cd47ae10.bmp 384X224 px

bmp  broken level 7.bmp (85.05 KB)
1_4ba76dcab2a40.bmp 384X224 px

bmp  W1L11.bmp (85.05 KB)
1_4ba76f9501bce.bmp 384X224 px

bmp  W1L12.bmp (85.05 KB)
1_4ba76f9c7286d.bmp 384X224 px

bmp  broken boss 1.bmp (85.05 KB)
1_4ba76fe04190a.bmp 384X224 px

bmp  broken boss 2.bmp (85.05 KB)
1_4ba770cbb237e.bmp 384X224 px

Posted on: 2010/3/22 14:40
PVB Elite
Joined 2010/1/5
Sweden
560 Posts
In the interview Hideyuki mentions a bug that he eventually solved, perhaps the source code is an earlier version where this bug is still present?

Posted on: 2010/3/22 15:13
PVB Elite
Joined 2010/1/5
Sweden
560 Posts
Any chance we can ask Hideyuki Nakanishi for help?

Posted on: 2010/3/22 16:19
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2008/1/17
USA
266 Posts
ContributorLong Time User (11 Years) 20+ Game Ratings
It's been done. He hasn't offered any advice.

Posted on: 2010/3/22 17:53
Nintendoid!
Joined 2006/11/16
140 Posts
Long Time User (13 Years)
Quote:

KR155E wrote:
This looks like levels are shifted somehow as well as corresponding graphics.

Could also be that the values that determine the level get overwritten while loading the stage.
So it loads the map for stage X, values are overwritten, loads events from a different stage.
Depending on the game's framework, it can be possible. I know of more than a few games whose release versions contain buffer overflow bugs that weren't caught in testing, the most prominent being the Mew bug in Pokémon Red/Blue, that took some years to be figured out, but eventually surfaced.

cYa,

Tauwasser

Posted on: 2010/3/22 20:34
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2008/1/17
USA
266 Posts
ContributorLong Time User (11 Years) 20+ Game Ratings
whats the mew bug?

Posted on: 2010/3/22 22:39
Nintendoid!
Joined 2006/11/16
140 Posts
Long Time User (13 Years)
Offtopic:
Mew glitch.

Basically, the article simplifies some things. It assumes that you beat all other trainers except the one they state.
If you read up on it, basically, the routine that walks trainers to your position, doesn't take into account that trainers can be off-screen, therefore first having to correct the trainers facing, then disabling the menu. The user can then use the menu to escape the fight.
The fight also disables some events on the map itself. For some reason, the developers chose to set a counter to an invalid state (not expecting to ever enter the map while it was invalid). They rectified this in Gold/Silver.

Therefore, when entering the map, code is executed that is not supposed to be executed, eventually leading to execution of the portion of RAM that holds which trainer has been fought with. That's where the battle command and Mew come from. The stats are determined as the wiki describes.

/Offtopic

So yeah, basically, the impossible can happen. Don't ask me who found this, but it must have been someone crazy trying every possible combination of trainer fights or being really lucky :D

cYa,

Tauwasser

Posted on: 2010/3/23 2:33
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2007/10/27
Sweden
417 Posts
ContributorLong Time User (12 Years) 40+ Game Ratings
Ok so i took my time to read all this drama and just dont get it
People are working to fix the bound high game to release a 100% perfect copy but why wont they release the clitched copy to us so other people have harder time to get scammed by people?

I for example would really want to play the bound high clitched copy because it seems the game is 60%+ working

I think its lame if people want to pay over $1000 for a unreleased game or protoype
Release all the games clitched or not including sourcecode and maybe for once we can see some full 100% working 16/32 bit vb homebrew games

Like when someone released the 4 rare vb games, I did not care if some strange person lost thousands of dollors because I think when the vb has so few games (including homebrew) people should release anything they have so atleast more people want to play the vb, join this community and make more homebrew games

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post