Register To Post

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Re: Virtual Boy Font
Posted on: 2010/3/31 1:52
PVB Elite
Joined 2003/7/26
USA
1466 Posts
PVBCC EntryCoderContributorSpecial AchievementTop10 PosterHOTY09 EntryLong Time User (15 Years) App Coder20+ Game RatingsPVBCC 2013 Entry
w00t! Triple-post, FTW!

Well, here's my nearly-final, public-beta, all-warranties-disclaimed, good-enough-for-government-work version of the VB logo font.

Eat instruction manual before using.

Attach file:

zip Virtual Logo.zip Size: 4.60 KB; Hits: 1051

Posted on: 2010/4/2 5:46
PVB Elite
Joined 2003/7/26
USA
1466 Posts
PVBCC EntryCoderContributorSpecial AchievementTop10 PosterHOTY09 EntryLong Time User (15 Years) App Coder20+ Game RatingsPVBCC 2013 Entry
Well, no-one seems to be interested in this anymore, but here is a practically complete version of the font. I'll fix reported bugs if possible, and if there are any type designers/experts out there, I'll definitely listen to any tips/tricks/hints/commentary/suggestions.

I technically own the copyright, but I really don't care what's done with it (although an anti-VB hate site would be in seriously poor taste ). ...a small gratuity would be a nice gesture, if you can spare it.

Attach file:

zip Virtual Logo.zip Size: 14.02 KB; Hits: 773

Posted on: 2010/4/18 17:09
Joined 2010/2/12
2 Posts
Long Time User (10 Years)
Wow! I hadn't realized that I had started an entire discussion! When I first posted I thought I subscribed to it via email, so I just waited for the email reply. I never got one, so I ended up using a similar font, Agency FB for the title.

The newsletter I was doing was for NintendoAGE.com. We have a monthly eZine we put out about things NES and related. I'm sorry it took me two months to come back to this topic, but thanks very much for making that font! I downloaded it and I will use it in the future. If you want a link to the eZine with the Virtual Boy article in it, click here. (You'll have to register to view it.)

Once again, thanks for your support!

Posted on: 2010/4/21 9:20
PVB Elite
Joined 2003/7/26
USA
1466 Posts
I'm glad you like it. Since it still needs some work, I may update it (and this thread) in the future, so be sure to check back before you use it.

I'd like to see how you do use it, if ever, so don't be a stranger

In fact, let us know about anything else VB-related you do, whether my font's involved or not

I'm too lazy busy to check out your article (I still might...) but I took a look at the font you substituted and it's not a bad match.

Posted on: 2010/7/5 19:10
Administrator
Joined 2000/1/8
Germany
2524 Posts
Highscore Top10Highscore Top ScoreCoder#1 PosterHOTY09 1stLong Time User (15 Years) App Coder90+ Game Ratings
Site titles are now working with your font, RunnerPack, using the @font-face CSS property. Looks pretty good! :)

Posted on: 2010/7/6 11:45
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2003/9/3
Sweden
442 Posts
PVBCC EntryHighscore Top10 3rdCoderContributorHOTY09 2ndLong Time User (15 Years) DonatorApp CoderPVBCC 2010 1st20+ Game RatingsPVBCC 2013 2nd
It's nice that it has smoother edges than the old site titles, but doesn't it look a little too bold?

Posted on: 2010/7/6 20:23
Administrator
Joined 2000/1/8
Germany
2524 Posts
Highscore Top10Highscore Top ScoreCoder#1 PosterHOTY09 1stLong Time User (15 Years) App Coder90+ Game Ratings
You're right! I thought it was set to normal font-weight and it was the font itself that was bold, but it just inherited the bold from another CSS class. Better now. :)

Posted on: 2010/7/7 0:57
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2003/9/3
Sweden
442 Posts
PVBCC EntryHighscore Top10 3rdCoderContributorHOTY09 2ndLong Time User (15 Years) DonatorApp CoderPVBCC 2010 1st20+ Game RatingsPVBCC 2013 2nd
Ah! It looks great now

Posted on: 2010/7/10 6:35
PVB Elite
Joined 2003/7/26
USA
1466 Posts
Quote:

KR155E wrote:
Site titles are now working with your font, RunnerPack, using the @font-face CSS property. Looks pretty good! :)

Excellent job, KR155E! I must say, they do look good, but the bitmap ones weren't bad. Sure, they took more bandwidth, and they were probably less compatible browser-wise, and they probably hurt the accessibility of the site, but other than that...

I attached an SVG version of the font below. They're only supported by Opera and Safari right now, but the others should catch up eventually It's also the only Web Font format supported by Mobile Safari, the browser on the iPod/Phone/Pad, but who uses those? I've seen a tutorial on how to use CSS to get each browser to use the format they like, but I didn't save the link and I can't find it now But, since you've got mad DOM skills (which, quite literally, "pay the bills") I'm sure you'll figure it out

Attach file:

svg virtual_logo.svg Size: 40.82 KB; Hits: 345

Posted on: 2010/7/10 20:21
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2010/2/15
Netherlands
250 Posts
Long Time User (10 Years)
I assume they would work in Chrome, too. That browser is the furthest ahead with web standards as far as I know, and runs on the same renderer as Safari anyway (WebKit).

Quote:
I technically own the copyright, but I really don't care what's done with it (although an anti-VB hate site would be in seriously poor taste ). ...a small gratuity would be a nice gesture, if you can spare it.

So does that mean you're basically releasing this under Creative Commons? Free use, with accreditation?

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post