Register To Post

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Re: Insect Combat
Posted on: 2009/12/30 18:11
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2003/9/3
Sweden
442 Posts
PVBCC EntryHighscore Top10 3rdCoderContributorHOTY09 2ndLong Time User (15 Years) DonatorApp CoderPVBCC 2010 1st20+ Game RatingsPVBCC 2013 2nd
I was a little bored, so I took it upon myself to help design some new graphics for your fighters Feel free to put them in the game if you like them!

Attach file:

png  fighters.png (10.56 KB)
27_4b3b97af5d93b.png 389X251 px

Posted on: 2009/12/30 21:57
PVB Elite
Joined 2008/4/26
USA
951 Posts
CoderContributorTop10 PosterHOTY09 3rdLong Time User (12 Years) PVBCC 2010 EntryPVBCC 2013 Entry
I like them, I put them in the game, they're much better than the ones I had. If you could make a new image for the title screen too, that'd be great. My next step is to make backgrounds for the fighting places (i.e. a beehive for Rumblebee, a scene with an anthill in the background for Gi Ant, etc.)

Attach file:

vb ic.VB Size: 256.00 KB; Hits: 230

Posted on: 2009/12/31 11:37
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2003/9/3
Sweden
442 Posts
PVBCC EntryHighscore Top10 3rdCoderContributorHOTY09 2ndLong Time User (15 Years) DonatorApp CoderPVBCC 2010 1st20+ Game RatingsPVBCC 2013 2nd
Cool. Maybe I'll make a title screen later. I think your next focus should be on the actual fighting mechanics and gameplay, fancy graphics should be the last step when the game works.

Posted on: 2009/12/31 12:23
PVB Elite
Joined 2008/4/26
USA
951 Posts
CoderContributorTop10 PosterHOTY09 3rdLong Time User (12 Years) PVBCC 2010 EntryPVBCC 2013 Entry
In order to code fighting gameplay, I'd like to have some fighters designed. I want the insects to walk like humans (on two legs) and have their other legs (or wings) available for punching. I want them to take up a little less than half the screen so they can jump (or fly) over their opponents. As you can see, I wasn't very good at drawing, so I would really appreciate it if someone were to design the characters for me. I'll work up a little demo with Killipede so you can see what I want.

Posted on: 2009/12/31 13:19
PVB Elite
Joined 2008/4/26
USA
951 Posts
Here's what I was thinking along the lines of character design. Press start to get past the choosing the CPU opponent screen to see Killipede. Up, down, left and right move him, while start goes back to the beginning.

Attach file:

vb ic.VB Size: 256.00 KB; Hits: 237

Posted on: 2009/12/31 15:13
PVB Elite
Joined 2008/12/28
Slovenia
636 Posts
Highscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreCoderContributor10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (11 Years) App CoderPVBCC 2010 EntryPVBCC 2013 Entry
Nice. Will there be any character stats shown in the character select screen? The characters could differ in attacks, speed, jump height, etc.

For example, one character could be an offensive one, having strong attacks, but wouldn't be very fast and couldn't jump over the opponent, while a defensive character would be the exact opposite. Just a suggestion.

And maybe there could be a dedicated jump button. Using "up" to jump is annoying.

Now you need to implement gravity. Maybe this could be done like this: if a character's Y position (at their legs) is higher than the ground level, decrement it until they're equal. Then jumping could be done like... I don't know, let's demonstrate it with some code: (NOTE: not tested, and I might have forgotten something, this is just a very rough draft. ALSO, under no circumstances use those variable names - replace them with something more descriptive!)

// jump & gravity idea, by HorvatM, 12/31/2009
// if code is too fast, use timers for delaying w/o affecting the rest of the game
// variables for jumping & gravity
// NOTE: their value is not defined - define it yourself

char y;       // character's Y position
char j;       // flag: is the character in the middle of a jump, and in what position?
char p;       // jump power - how many pixels the character travels in one go - must be at least 2, otherwise it won't work b/c of gravity
char m;       // character's max. Y position - how much can the character jump
const char g// ground level constant

while(1// main loop
{
  if(
vbReadPad() & K_A y==j=0)  // begin jump if A is pressed and we aren't already in the middle of a jump and if we are on ground level

{

j++;  // j becomes 1, which means true

}
  if(
j)  // if j is true, i.e. more than 0, which means we are in the middle of a jump

{
      if(
j<m)  // this could probably merged to the previous if, but what the heck. anyway, if we aren't at the end of the jump

{

j++;

y=y-p;  // go up according to jump power and advance in jump if in the middle of a jump and the jump hasn't ended yet
                // (that was quite a complicated sentence)

}
      if(
j=mj=0;  // if the jump is over reset the jump status so the character won't go up anymore

}
  if(
y>gy--;  // gravity
  // code for movement, AI, etc. goes here
}

Of course these are all just my suggestions. I don't want to annoy you in developing your game.
Edited by HorvatM on 2009/12/31 15:24

Posted on: 2009/12/31 16:23
PVB Elite
Joined 2008/4/26
USA
951 Posts
Up isn't for jumping, it's for moving up on the floor. Imagine a parrellelogram on the bottom of the floor, and it's 3D movement, like how the up button goes up in NBA Jam. I was going to have A be jumping, while B, and the left and right buttons under the controller be for attacking.

Posted on: 2009/12/31 16:58
PVB Elite
Joined 2008/12/28
Slovenia
636 Posts
Highscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreCoderContributor10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (11 Years) App CoderPVBCC 2010 EntryPVBCC 2013 Entry
OK. Here is a background (without the floor or anything) for Rumblebee, made by gamma correcting the HONEY.BMP background from Windows 3.x, converting it to 4 colors, and tiling it. The image is sized 384*224, like the VB's display. If you want it to be longer (for scrolling backgrounds), tell me.

It's intentionally dark so it doesn't attract too much attention and lets the player concentrate on the characters.

Attach file:

png  RumblebeeBG.PNG (5.16 KB)
930_4b3cd853cf477.png 384X224 px

Posted on: 2009/12/31 18:12
PVB Elite
Joined 2008/12/28
Slovenia
636 Posts
I made a couple of sounds that might be appropriate for the game. I'm also allowing anyone to use the Rumblebee background if they find it useful.

Jump: http://www.vr32.de/modules/newbb/view ... php?topic_id=3724&forum=9
Land after jump: http://www.vr32.de/modules/newbb/view ... php?topic_id=3725&forum=9

Posted on: 2010/1/1 22:57
PVB Elite
Joined 2003/7/26
USA
1471 Posts
PVBCC EntryCoderContributorSpecial AchievementTop10 PosterHOTY09 EntryLong Time User (15 Years) App Coder20+ Game RatingsPVBCC 2013 Entry
No offense HorvatM, but that jump code is pretty simplistic. This is not a commentary on your programming skills or anything else; I've seen something like it in far too many games/demos. Everyone needs to learn somewhere, right? Also, like your post, this is just my suggestion and can be taken or left.

The problem is that gravity, and the fight against gravity that jumping entails, are both accelerations rather than velocities. Acceleration, as I'm sure you know, is a change in velocity over time. Gravity is a constant force attempting to change the velocity of all objects. If it is resting on the ground, an object's velocity remains zero.

Rather than messing about with a flag that determines the direction of an object's velocity vector, one can simply use the sign of the number holding the velocity itself (since we are only interested in the Y component of said vector). Since coordinates on the VB's screen(s) increase away from the upper-left corner, -Y velocities/accelerations should probably mean "up," to make the code easier to grasp.

Another signed number can hold the gravitational constant. This will be added to the velocity value each frame. The velocity will in turn be added to the object's Y position, which will be constrained by the floor.

To jump, simply apply another acceleration force in a direction opposite to gravity which only persists while: A) the button is held down, and B) some amount of time has not gone by. This time value in B depends on how high you want your object (e.g. fighting bug) to jump. This and the acceleration force will have to be selected by experimentation and will likely vary by the fighter.

I'm sure HorvatM's code can easily be altered according to the above. This system, while a little more math-intensive, will give a much more realistic motion to the fighters. It should, of course, also be applied to the victims of upper-cuts and the like

Hope that helps

PS: Thanks for uploading those sounds, HorvatM. If you (or anyone else) want a whole lot more sounds that are free to use, I wholeheartedly recommend http://www.freesound.org/. You can, of course, find a user named RunnerPack on there

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post