Nicht eingeloggt.
Passwort vergessen?

Bitte erst registrieren. Danach ist es möglich Beiträge zu schreiben.

Nach unten   Vorheriges Thema   Nächstes Thema

Virtual boy Repair Service!
Geschrieben am: 14.09.2009 23:29
Virtual Freak
Dabei seit 14.09.2009
USA
98 Beiträge
Long Time User (10 Years)
Get your Virtual Boy Repaired here!

http://www.johnnyphantom.me/Johnny_Phantom/Virtual_Boy_Repair.html

I've been fixing Virtual Boys for years,
Now I'm going public with it :P

Let me know what you need ^-^

Re: Virtual boy Repair Service!
Geschrieben am: 15.09.2009 7:17
PVB Elite
Dabei seit 25.07.2003
USA
1507 Beiträge
PVBCC 1stCoderContributor#3 PosterHOTY09 EntryLong Time User (15 Years) App CoderPVBCC 2010 EntryPVBCC 2013 Entry
Been fixing them for years... where have you been? :P There's always people asking me where to get them fixed and I just tell them to fix 'em themselves. So, as everyone here probably is (and should be) skeptical of a newbie claiming to be an expert VB repair person with no references and no prices listed... do you have references of people who you've fixed VBs for in the past, and what are your prices?

And you say you don't use an oven, and don't solder... care to share any details on how you do the repair (if I was paying someone to fix my system, I'd like to know what kind of service I'm paying for)? And where are you located (2 way shipping can easily kill a deal)?

DogP

Geschrieben am: 15.09.2009 18:48
VB Gamer
Dabei seit 14.12.2005
40 Beiträge
10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (13 Years)
hmmm... sounds great. Unfortunately, I am highly skeptical that this isn't one of the methods I have already tried, or one of the methods already discussed here. Everybody knows what the problem part is now, so if you have a simple solution, please share. Good luck with your repair service, but most people here would prbly prefer to do it their self (I have a pile of them that need repair).

Datei anhängen:

jpg  009.JPG (1,737.26 KB)
208_4aafc79f99ac7.jpg 2895X2412 px

Geschrieben am: 15.09.2009 21:22
Nintendoid!
Dabei seit 11.08.2009
USA
112 Beiträge
pocket, I like the Virtual Fishing, Space Squash, and Insmouse framed boxes, neat idea :)

And yeah, I can't think of any ideas either that would work besides either a clamping thing he would add that would apply pressure to the back of the FFC, or if he had the same type of adhesive that Nintendo used. But in either case, I think soldering is faster and better.

Oh, and Virtual Phantom, you may want to check your website in a non-apple enviornment. The website just seems awkward to me. It is due to whatever scripting language you used. It's hard to explain, but for example, the page loads, then the window freezes for a few seconds (won't let me scroll, or click on anything), then all the sudden it starts working again. I'm using IE8 in Windows 7. Oh, and I usually like to hilight text while reading, makes it easier for me to not get lost. But that can't be done on your site.

Geschrieben am: 15.09.2009 21:34
Virtual Freak
Dabei seit 14.09.2009
USA
98 Beiträge
I can totally understand being skeptical to a new repair place :P

I would feel the same,
I'm still working out the kinks in pricing,
But I figure around $30 labor of repair per unit, plus parts as needed.

I didn't like the oven idea cause it warms up the LEDs on the board, and the Solder idea works great but very time consuming.

I've had great luck using heat guns, just as warm as a oven, faster, and doesn't warm what is not necessary.

I've been fixing My own, a few of my friends, and for years I've been buying used ones, refurbing them, and reselling them on eBay and criagslist.

The only Thing I would ask customers, would be to provide 2 shipping labels, 1 to me and 1 to return their systems back to them.

I have a lot of units that I could use for parts as well to replace boards, housing, and other units in the systems.

If I can't repair a system, I could offer a customer a replacement unit, and offer to give them trade in credit for their dead unit towards the replacement.

How do you think this would sound to the pubic?

:P

Just haven't done this at such a bigger scale (Like I said, new to this, mostly done my own, buddies, and eBay ones)

(also I'm Located in Rhode Island)

Geschrieben am: 15.09.2009 21:38
Virtual Freak
Dabei seit 14.09.2009
USA
98 Beiträge
I'll look into the site on non-apple machines :P

I also threw a few blogs on my site as well

www.JohnnyPhantom.me

1 for just site news and 1 for customers to even track their repair progress.

Neat :P

Geschrieben am: 16.09.2009 17:31
PVB Elite
Dabei seit 28.12.2008
Slowenien
629 Beiträge
Highscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreCoderContributor10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (10 Years) App CoderPVBCC 2010 EntryPVBCC 2013 Entry
I'd love to have my VB repaired by you, but I'd like to hear some actual feedback from someone else. Also, does "90-day warranty" mean the system should work for at least 90 days before breaking again? If so, how long does the fix last? I wouldn't like to send it off to repair every three months, but rather just get a screwdriver and do it myself.

Geschrieben am: 16.09.2009 19:23
Virtual Freak
Dabei seit 14.09.2009
USA
98 Beiträge
Hi,

The 90 Days is just incase if the problem does happen to return, I'll repair it again no charge (other than shipping) I fixed my system a year ago and still have not seen any problems since.

It's a comfort blanket, knowing that your repair is guarantied for 3 months. Rather than having a place repair it with no warranty, worrying that when you get it back, if the problem comes back a week do you have to pay again or not. I like letting people know that I'll take care of it. No Worries.

What is wrong with your system?

(so far no feed back yet, you would be the first repair thus far since I launched the site/service, but since this is the case, maybe I'll work out a deal on a reduced labor charge for publicity to get some reviews)

Geschrieben am: 17.09.2009 18:15
PVB Elite
Dabei seit 28.12.2008
Slowenien
629 Beiträge
Highscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreCoderContributor10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (10 Years) App CoderPVBCC 2010 EntryPVBCC 2013 Entry
Zitat:

What is wrong with your system?

Both displays are glitchy (don't work, or display garbage, or a mirrored image, independendly of each other) and one of the speakers (I forgot which one) sometimes doesn't work.

Geschrieben am: 17.09.2009 23:52
PVB Elite
Dabei seit 25.07.2003
USA
1507 Beiträge
PVBCC 1stCoderContributor#3 PosterHOTY09 EntryLong Time User (15 Years) App CoderPVBCC 2010 EntryPVBCC 2013 Entry
Hmm... how have your repairs lasted in the long term? What I've found (and others have also reported) is that just reheating the adhesive doesn't work well in the long term. It seems to kinda depend on the system though, as a couple of the systems I repaired w/ the oven method several years ago are still working, but many have failed (and I've subsequently fixed w/ the solder method). I assume if they failed once, they'll likely fail again, since the adhesive is no better, and likely much worse than when it was first applied.

Also, about the heat gun method itself... I don't know that it's really any safer than the oven method... the display board is pretty small and has very little mass, so the whole board heats up quickly, and since the heat gun isn't temperature controlled (unlike the oven), it's easy to overheat the board or melt the cable (since the typical hardware store heat gun outputs at ~500-1000F). Of course like any method, with some practice you can get good at it and not make mistakes (and the first thing everyone learns when using a heat gun is to always keep moving).

You don't have to worry about overheating the board at a couple hundred degrees F though (like in the oven, or from the heat gun when properly used)... they go through much higher temps in manufacturing. I had a really stubborn display though, and did kill it with a heat gun once, but I was intentionally pushing it to the limit. The lines kept coming back, and this was before I started soldering them, so I had some fun w/ the heat gun. I heated it up lightly, tried it, no good... tried a little more, still nothing... kept going, until finally I said screw it... I went back and forth over the cable at close range for a couple seconds, and then when I tried it, the display was solid red... doh!

DogP

Nach oben   Vorheriges Thema   Nächstes Thema

Bitte erst registrieren. Danach ist es möglich Beiträge zu schreiben.