Register To Post

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Re: Finally got my dumper working, should the unreleased roms be released
Posted on: 2008/10/30 21:16
VB Gamer
Joined 2008/4/18
42 Posts
Long Time User (11 Years)
"waste the time trying to get them to dump"? I thought your dumper was working! What could have delayed things to the point where someone had to hand you the ROMs to release? Or did you even have a dumper in the first place?

Oh, well. The ROMs are out (hopefully in good integrity so as to be playable), everyone knows what's going on, and not one of those unreleased ROMs is Dragon Hopper (though I don't think that whoever has it would want it released publicly for the sole purpose of preserving its value).

Posted on: 2008/10/30 22:41
Virtual Freak
Joined 2007/1/15
Germany
73 Posts
Long Time User (12 Years) Donator
Has anyone ensured that the ROMs are working?

Posted on: 2008/10/30 22:53
Nintendoid!
Joined 2006/3/15
Ecuador
234 Posts
PVBCC 3rdCoderLong Time User (13 Years)
Quote:

XJaPaN wrote:
Has anyone ensured that the ROMs are working?

They all work in Rboy.

Posted on: 2008/10/31 0:26
VB Gamer
Joined 2007/9/24
37 Posts
Long Time User (12 Years)
My dumper seems to work fine my problem is dogp's program to merge the 2 files (it gets dumped as 2 seperate files that need to be merged) doesnt seem to work for me

Posted on: 2008/10/31 0:51
PVB Elite
Joined 2003/7/25
USA
1507 Posts
PVBCC 1stCoderContributor#3 PosterHOTY09 EntryLong Time User (15 Years) App CoderPVBCC 2010 EntryPVBCC 2013 Entry
Quote:

shags wrote:
Well DogP figured me out, I do have a dumper but why waste the time trying to get them to dump when the roms were handed to me so that they would get released

I can think of plenty of reasons:
1) These ROMs weren't yours to give out... it's not like you were the first to think... hmm, I got some ROMs, I should release these... the people that dumped these agreed not to publicly release them, which is why they weren't (if things can't stay private, collectors will never let us dump their stuff because they know it'll get released). I honor my word, so when I say I'll keep something private, I do.

2) It would have been nice to have another dump to compare, since these all came from a single source, which could have been bad. But I'm guessing you don't have a dumper or even any of the carts.

3) It's very disrespectful to those who actually worked hard to get these games backed up (and to the collectors who paid lots of $$$) to have someone release them and especially claim that they dumped them.

Clearly you have none of the same morals as me. And whoever sent you the ROMs made a mistake in trusting you.

DogP

Posted on: 2008/10/31 0:53
PVB Elite
Joined 2003/7/25
USA
1507 Posts
PVBCC 1stCoderContributor#3 PosterHOTY09 EntryLong Time User (15 Years) App CoderPVBCC 2010 EntryPVBCC 2013 Entry
Quote:

shags wrote:
My dumper seems to work fine my problem is dogp's program to merge the 2 files (it gets dumped as 2 seperate files that need to be merged) doesnt seem to work for me

If my merging program doesn't work for you, you're not getting a good dump. It works for everyone else, and if you make a hex file of all 0x00's and another of all 0xFF's, you'll see the output will be 00FF00FF00FF00FF... exactly like it should be.

DogP

Posted on: 2008/10/31 16:39
Nintendoid!
Joined 2006/8/20
Spain
222 Posts
Long Time User (13 Years)
Quote:

shags wrote:

After some days without logging into vr32.de, I come back and find all this is happening... These are my points regarding the public availability of the ER ROMs:

1.- As far as I know, those dumps were private dumps which should have never been made public. As some of you know from my posts several years ago, I never minded if those ROMs were made publicly available, but if the original dumper said "please keep them private", they should have been kept private...

2.- Seeing DogP's job in his Mario Kart game, I can't believe his ROM merger doesn't work. This tool does something as simple as combining odd and even bytes in a single archive. For a skillful programmer, making a tool like this should be piece of cake (I will stand corrected, though). Therefore, I don't think this tool doesn't work...

3.- I don't think the original dumper is very happy with this situation, and all of this only makes owner of private ROMs (prototypes, etc.) keep them even more private. It was said time ago in these same forums that the dumps were completely secure regarding their preservation. This means that there are already enough copies around so that the code doesn't get lost, so there was no need to release them.

I guess most of you won't agree with what I say, and think that these games should have been made public many years ago so that you could play them in your Flashboys and/or emulators, but in my opinion, if you give your word about something, you should keep it. If you betray your word (and therefore the people to whom you gave your word), you lose your respect, and without respect you're nothing...

Posted on: 2008/10/31 23:23
VB Gamer
Joined 2008/1/10
Spain
11 Posts
Long Time User (11 Years)
In fact keeping these unreleased roms out from public access i would call some sort of "speculation" to keep up its economical value, there is no another logical interest.

Personally I think that releasing those roms would increase or at least not hurts its value too much for a true collector (you can see a lot of examples in nes world), but is understable that those "hardcore" millionars collectors want keep up their economical value, another thinking about that it would be a smokescreen.

Posted on: 2008/11/1 1:16
VB Gamer
Joined 2007/10/6
34 Posts
Hmm. Mixed reception.
They shouldn't have been released, but they have, and everyone will have to come to terms with that instead of trying to fight against their release.
Edited by sám on 2008/11/1 12:21
Edited by sám on 2008/11/1 12:38

Posted on: 2008/11/2 3:55
VB Gamer
Joined 2007/9/24
37 Posts
I was never asked not to release these, it is the exact opposite, I was handed these with the intent of me releasing them, I guess I should have done a litle more digging to find out who the original dumper was before releasing them, I still have the intent of making new dumps, I am thinking that maybe I have the wiring wrong again on my dumper, If I could redo it I wouldnt release these dumps to the public, and would wait for me to get my own dumps working

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post