Register To Post

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Re: The VB Glitchy Display Problem
Posted on: 2011/10/17 19:53
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/4/27
USA
2309 Posts
Highscore Top10 1stHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreCollection Top10 1stContributor#2 PosterLong Time User (9 Years) 30+ Game Ratings
Yeah... the biggest thing that worries me about the Solder Method is the possibility of messing up the alignment of the copper threads, which one doesn't really have to worry about with the Oven Method, if one performs the Oven Method carefully.

In what ways, however, can using the Oven Method too many times permanently screw up the displays? Does simply heating the displays to 200 degrees F too many times eventually cause permanent damage to the displays? If so, what in particular gets damaged and can never be fixed? Also, is there a "dangerous" temperature that one should never reach when using the Oven Method. If so, what temp would that be?

Posted on: 2011/10/18 7:54
PVB Elite
Joined 2009/12/30
Netherlands
545 Posts
Highscore Top10Highscore Top ScoreContributor10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (10 Years)
Well, if you heat it up too much/many times the plastic can curl up and be misaligned because of that. Then soldering will become next to impossible unless you want to replace every thread by single threads and that is something only one person has done and everyone called him crazy/incredible ;).

Posted on: 2011/10/18 12:09
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/4/27
USA
2309 Posts
Highscore Top10 1stHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreCollection Top10 1stContributor#2 PosterLong Time User (9 Years) 30+ Game Ratings
That makes sense. I can understand why the heating might warp the plastic and cause the threads to be misaligned. I didn't think that 200 degrees F for a couple of minutes every once and a while would permanently damage any of the other components of the displays, though.

Posted on: 2012/1/14 14:11
VB Gamer
Joined 2011/4/21
Switzerland
22 Posts
Long Time User (9 Years)
Quote:
TheForce81 wrote:

It is an easy choice for me, since I am able to do the solder permanent fix myself and have done so for quite a few PVB members.

Do you still do repairs / Glitch-Fixes for PVB Members?

Posted on: 2012/1/15 11:32
PVB Elite
Joined 2009/12/30
Netherlands
545 Posts
Highscore Top10Highscore Top ScoreContributor10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (10 Years)
Sent you a pm, to prevent the forum to clog up with info not meant for everyone.

Posted on: 2012/1/17 18:32
Nintendoid!
Joined 2009/8/3
Spain
129 Posts
Long Time User (10 Years) Donator60+ Game Ratings
My Virtual Boy have the glitchy display problem for a second time. A friend of mine works as a welder and he is able to do the solder method , but I think is better the oven method . Any suggestion?

Posted on: 2012/2/18 23:46
VB Gamer
Joined 2011/4/21
Switzerland
22 Posts
Long Time User (9 Years)
Quote:

Alfissta wrote:
My Virtual Boy have the glitchy display problem for a second time. A friend of mine works as a welder and he is able to do the solder method , but I think is better the oven method . Any suggestion?

Get it soldered.

TheForce81 did mine for a small fee, and if your able to get him, or anyone in your neighborhood or friends can do it. Do it.

He did a great job on it. And if there are any questions about it, he is sure and fast to respond.

*dances around with nonblinking nonglitching VB*

Posted on: 2012/2/19 5:07
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/3/10
USA
930 Posts
Top10 PosterLong Time User (9 Years) 30+ Game Ratings
that is easier said then done. i've called all over to find a video game repair shop who was willing to do the fix, i've yet to find one. finally found a guy out in vegas but he wasn't to sure how to do it, said he would "look it up" and then when asked some specific questions about the VB he didn't have the answers, so i didn't mail my vb to him.

i'm in the US and as i recall theforce81 is in the Netherlands? USPS wanted something like $45 to ship one way.

i wish i had someone on my block, or even in my city, who could do the fix and who knew how to do it. i did start a dialogue with a planetVB member on IRC about it, but didn't have the funds at the time to follow through. though, if he is reading this i've been thinking about it the past few months! =)

if you do know someone who can do it, and do it correctly, get it done. its the only way to permanently fix the problem.

Posted on: 2012/2/19 8:48
PVB Elite
Joined 2009/12/30
Netherlands
545 Posts
Quote:

Lester Knight wrote:
that is easier said then done. i've called all over to find a video game repair shop who was willing to do the fix, i've yet to find one. finally found a guy out in vegas but he wasn't to sure how to do it, said he would "look it up" and then when asked some specific questions about the VB he didn't have the answers, so i didn't mail my vb to him.

i'm in the US and as i recall theforce81 is in the Netherlands? USPS wanted something like $45 to ship one way.

i wish i had someone on my block, or even in my city, who could do the fix and who knew how to do it. i did start a dialogue with a planetVB member on IRC about it, but didn't have the funds at the time to follow through. though, if he is reading this i've been thinking about it the past few months! =)

if you do know someone who can do it, and do it correctly, get it done. its the only way to permanently fix the problem.

If you have a way to open up your VB you can send in the displays by themselves. I have done a few that way from your part of the world before. That way the costs are pretty low, about $6 back and forth. It is your call entirely of course, just trying to help out ;)

When you have opened it, it is really easy to take the displays out by the way, the challange is to get a good gamebit that reaches down the deep holes to unscrew them.

http://www.projectvb.com/tech/securitybit.html
Edited by TheForce81 on 2012/2/19 8:59
Edited by TheForce81 on 2012/2/19 9:09

Posted on: 2012/2/19 9:46
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/3/10
USA
930 Posts
Top10 PosterLong Time User (9 Years) 30+ Game Ratings
http://www.planetvb.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4221

i tried to order that screwdriver at one point but they wanted more than $20 just to ship it to me.

which is the correct size gamebit for the vb? i think i would like to grab one and grind it down to take out the displays. i would like to take you up on that offer to just fix the displays.

cheers!

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post