Lost Password?

Register To Post

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Re: The VB Glitchy Display Problem
Posted on: 2010/4/20 22:58
VB Gamer
Joined 2005/12/14
40 Posts
10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (14 Years)
This is the most advanced soldering I've ever had to do. I'm a bit discouraged, solder seems to sit on top of the brown goo. My first attempt knocked some of the connections around a bit, so to say Im having trouble is an understatement. I would say that the trick is to touch nothing except solder, and move the ball around... but it doesn't seem to penetrate the adhesive very well. Sodium Hyrdoxide seems to have little effect on the adhesive. I am using oven cleaner, as weapons-grade lye is pretty hard to come by. Advice is greatly appreciated from anyone who has gone through this- I have read every post thus far on the topic and I am still overwhelmed. Its so small! Failure is not an option, I have a bunch that need this procedure.

Posted on: 2010/4/21 2:46
PVB Elite
Joined 2003/7/25
USA
1507 Posts
PVBCC 1stCoderContributor#3 PosterHOTY09 EntryLong Time User (15 Years) App CoderPVBCC 2010 EntryPVBCC 2013 Entry
I've personally had really good luck w/ NaOH, but the trick is that you need to use a very strong concentration of it, plus heat (it should be solid at room temp, but melt when heated). Leave it on there for a little bit, and the coating will start to dissolve. I'm not familiar with oven cleaner, but the cheap drain cleaner that I picked up at the hardware store is 100% NaOH (no weapons grade necessary :P ). There's also some adhesive below the coating, which I usually remove with goof off.

The last display I did, I tried the "no-chemical" method, but I wasn't satisfied with how it was working, so I used NaOH to dissolve the cable, then soldered it, and it turned out really nice. But, as the video shows, it's certainly possible to do.

DogP

Posted on: 2010/4/21 4:36
VB Gamer
Joined 2008/8/24
Belgium
18 Posts
Long Time User (11 Years)
I Repaired my faulty Virtual Boy and now it is working perfect.
I did not use solder nor NaOH, I used some less professional tools :p
When i took out the displays, i just ripped of the plastic covering the connections, and i must admit it didnt look too good. some copper ribbons were loose, and some even broke off. I was freaking out and I thought I completely broke it, but I decided I could try it anyway. I used glue with silver particles in it, I was told thid is the glue they use to repair the heating strips on a car's back window. I put it on with a needle, and man those connections are small.
But to my surprise, after these mutulations to my Virtual Boy, it worked perfectly!
This is 1.5 years ago and it has changed since.
I am very amatueristic, and this was my first attempt at repairing something, and it worked out good. :p
I hope anybody who wants to repair his VB, succeeds.

Posted on: 2010/4/21 16:10
PVB Elite
Joined 2009/12/30
Netherlands
545 Posts
Highscore Top10Highscore Top ScoreContributor10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (10 Years)
Quote:

pocket wrote:
This is the most advanced soldering I've ever had to do. I'm a bit discouraged, solder seems to sit on top of the brown goo. My first attempt knocked some of the connections around a bit, so to say Im having trouble is an understatement. I would say that the trick is to touch nothing except solder, and move the ball around... but it doesn't seem to penetrate the adhesive very well. Sodium Hyrdoxide seems to have little effect on the adhesive. I am using oven cleaner, as weapons-grade lye is pretty hard to come by. Advice is greatly appreciated from anyone who has gone through this- I have read every post thus far on the topic and I am still overwhelmed. Its so small! Failure is not an option, I have a bunch that need this procedure.

Yeah, you shouldn't touch the copper wires embedded in the plastic if you can avoid it! The trick is to set the iron to a nice hot temperature, though be careful not setting it too hot. If so, you could burn up the copper wires. Just set it higher each time you can't get the plastic to melt, when it melts you are good. That is the way I did it.

Posted on: 2010/5/7 17:18
Nintendoid!
Joined 2004/5/28
219 Posts
Long Time User (15 Years)
Hi,

who can send me two solderfixed displays for my VB?
I am not patient enough right now to solder that my self.

Thanks

Fire

Posted on: 2010/5/7 18:37
PVB Elite
Joined 2009/12/30
Netherlands
545 Posts
Highscore Top10Highscore Top ScoreContributor10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (10 Years)
Where are you from?

Posted on: 2010/5/7 20:35
Nintendoid!
Joined 2004/5/28
219 Posts
Long Time User (15 Years)
Germany :)

Posted on: 2010/7/13 3:29
Joined 2010/7/13
1 Posts
Long Time User (9 Years)
I don't want to seem as though I'm just trying to make a sale, but while following DogP's instructions (thanks DogP!!!), I made a screwdriver capable of removing the Virtual Boy screws. I replaced them with philips head screws, and so I don't need the screwdriver anymore. I noticed that there weren't any on eBay, so I posted mine there as an auction.

The auction can be found here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MESELX:IT#ht_500wt_1154

If I can make back the dollar or so that I spent on the screwdriver, plus the cost of the auction, while at the same time helping someone else enjoy their Virtual Boy, then I'll be happy.

Thanks again to all of you for posting in this forum and thanks DogP for your detailed instructions that left me with a perfectly good Virtual Boy again!

Posted on: 2010/8/10 15:43
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2010/2/14
USA
333 Posts
10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (10 Years)
I tried fixing my glitchy display last night using the solder-only method and I think I only made it worse! My solder skills are very high, and I can solder 0603 surface mount parts by hand. But this solder job is even harder than that, and you basically WILL need a microscope/magnifier or at the very least a very bright and clean workspace.

The solder is extremely hard to get off once you get it on and melt the adhesive. The iron has to be very hot to heat up the solder and wick, but also not too hot so that the traces get moved. I'm extremely frustrated with this stupid flat cable, and I'm very close to just taking it off and soldering hard wires to the connections. I'm going to give it another shot today at my work's solder station, which has much better equipment and a magnifier, but I'm not optimistic. I feel like I may have ruined my VB!

Posted on: 2010/8/11 6:04
Nintendoid!
Joined 2009/8/11
USA
112 Posts
Long Time User (10 Years)
You are using 60/40 solder, right? And you tinned your iron before using the wick, right? Did you try to use extra flux (as in beyond that in the solder and wick)? You represent yourself as someone who would already have done all this, but never hurts to ask.

When I did it, I did not find it to be tough at all. Maybe you are being too clean and not using enough solder?

And soldering 0603 components is not necessarily similar to soldering fine pitch components :P

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post