Register To Post

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Re: The VB Glitchy Display Problem
Posted on: 2017/7/18 5:32
VB Gamer
Joined 2012/8/24
USA
42 Posts
10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (7 Years)
Greetings everyone!

I'm going to post this here because it relates to fixing VB displays. Essentially, I need some help with ribbon cables.

Sometimes when I swap out ribbon cables, the end that goes into the motherboard gets damaged (see pic).

How does this happen? What can I do to prevent it? And is there any way to fix it?

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers!

Attach file:

jpg  FullSizeRender.jpg (240.41 KB)
2942_596d81396e790.jpg 1329X798 px

Posted on: 2017/7/19 7:28
PVB Elite
Joined 2009/12/30
Netherlands
545 Posts
Highscore Top10Highscore Top ScoreContributor10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (9 Years)
Only way to fix this, is to cut of a really small piece of that end of the cable, but be careful, if you cut off too much, you can run out of cable that is exposed to connect to the socket.

Posted on: 2017/7/19 8:23
Virtual Freak
Joined 2017/7/10
USA
98 Posts
Long Time User (2 Years)
yep, i was gonna suggest the same thing. Ive done that several times with ribbon cables on laptops, and it works fine. but like Force said, only trim off a tiny bit to where the broken end matches up with the rest again, if you do too much it wont stay in the connector. itll just slip out and need to be taped into place or something.

Posted on: 2017/7/22 14:09
Joined 2017/3/10
6 Posts
Long Time User (2 Years)
Hello.

If you have no soldering skills, there is a shop in Paris making the job :

https://www.tradergames.fr/fr/reparati ... gs-graphiques--56877.html

Posted on: 2017/7/22 14:38
VB Gamer
Joined 2017/6/24
USA
47 Posts
Long Time User (2 Years)
I found a guy in the US that i tracked down from a forum post he made about a decade ago. Anyways he repaired mine and only charged shipping and whatever i felt was an adequate tip. My ribbon cables were more damaged than i imagined. He sent me pics showing what was wrong and what he did throughout the process and if i remember correctly it took a little over a week. I will not post his info but if someone needs it feel free to PM me and i will ask him if i can forward it. I would actually be surprised if he wasn't in this forum ...

Posted on: 2017/7/23 21:17
PVB Elite
Joined 2009/12/30
Netherlands
545 Posts
Highscore Top10Highscore Top ScoreContributor10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (9 Years)
Quote:

NiNiV wrote:
Hello.

If you have no soldering skills, there is a shop in Paris making the job :

https://www.tradergames.fr/fr/reparati ... gs-graphiques--56877.html

That one is very expensive though! If you want a way better deal, contact me for repairs. I of course don't mind if you don't, but this is really too expensive.

Quote:

tydyedsyko wrote:
I found a guy in the US that i tracked down from a forum post he made about a decade ago. Anyways he repaired mine and only charged shipping and whatever i felt was an adequate tip. My ribbon cables were more damaged than i imagined. He sent me pics showing what was wrong and what he did throughout the process and if i remember correctly it took a little over a week. I will not post his info but if someone needs it feel free to PM me and i will ask him if i can forward it. I would actually be surprised if he wasn't in this forum ...

Cool! I hope he will make himself known here as it is easier for all USA people to have a USA contact. I have done it for lots of USA people lately, but it takes a lot time in shipping and shipping is more expensive.

Posted on: 2017/7/25 8:16
VB Gamer
Joined 2017/6/11
USA
34 Posts
Long Time User (2 Years)
I just finished a repair for another US member on the forums and am now confident enough in my skills to begin offering my services to others. If anyone US based is interested, feel free to pm me about repairs.

Posted on: 2017/9/25 14:16
Joined 2016/12/21
1 Posts
Long Time User (2 Years)
Just wanted to say a huge thanks to TheForce81 in the Netherlands - I'm based in the UK and he fixed my VB glitchy display so it now works perfectly! Nice and bright, no glitches. Really good service, excellent communication - talked me through removing the displays and posting them. Just brilliant.

Posted on: 2017/9/25 18:32
Nintendoid!
Joined 2016/7/21
158 Posts
Long Time User (3 Years)
Quote:

Dr.Crackers wrote:
Greetings everyone!

I'm going to post this here because it relates to fixing VB displays. Essentially, I need some help with ribbon cables.

Sometimes when I swap out ribbon cables, the end that goes into the motherboard gets damaged (see pic).

How does this happen? What can I do to prevent it? And is there any way to fix it?

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers!

You are super lucky, however, as you'll notice that that broken pin continues up and merges with the one right next to it; you can simply put a jumper between the two on the LED board, and you'll be all set to go. Or you can solder a wire from what remains to the pad it's supposed to contact; either will work.

Posted on: 2017/12/14 13:06
VB Gamer
Joined 2017/12/14
12 Posts
Long Time User (1 Year)
Mine works great apart from a horizontal line is blank on one screen

Anyone in the UK that can fix this or is sending it to France or the Netherlands the only option

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post