Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Re: The VB Glitchy Display Problem
Posted on: 2014/5/11 12:34
VB Gamer
Joined 2013/7/5
Canada
26 Posts
Long Time User (6 Years)
OK, so I finally decided to attempt the soldering fix on one of my VBs, and there's good news and bad news-

The good news is that it seemed to go smoothly and the glitchyness that used to be there is now gone. The bad news is that appears to be a new problem- at a certain screen brightness, the position of the screen image is shifted vertically. For bright games like Mario Clash & WarioLand it works fine, but for dimmer games like Teleroboxer and Vertical Force, part of the lower screen is on the top. Does anyone know what could be causing this? It happens equally on both displays. Hopefully I didn't ruin anything.

I'll try swapping the displays with my other VB to see what happens.
Edited by TerryJ on 2014/5/11 13:42

Posted on: 2014/5/11 14:32
VB Gamer
Joined 2012/12/21
Australia
26 Posts
Long Time User (6 Years)
If I were to guess it sounds like it could have a solder bridge. Did you test all the connections with a multimeter when you were done, to make sure none were crossing paths?

I could have no idea what I'm talking about though :P

Posted on: 2014/5/11 22:40
VB Gamer
Joined 2013/7/5
Canada
26 Posts
Long Time User (6 Years)
Actually, you're right- as it turned out, there was a bit of loose solder was shorting out one of the traces on the left display (which caused the problem to occur on both displays. Weird!). That'll teach me not to repair things at 2AM!

So now I have a solder-fixed VB that will hopefully last me a long time- hooray!

Posted on: 2014/7/10 10:46
PVB Elite
Joined 2009/12/30
Netherlands
545 Posts
Highscore Top10Highscore Top ScoreContributor10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (9 Years)
I have acquired some spare displays so I am back in the repairing service. I do give a 100% guarantee now unless the cable is shriveled up or creased of course.

The displays including cable have to be untampered with, they may have been in the oven (though people, please don't do it, Runnerpack also agrees that the oven trick is bad, especially if you want the displays to be soldered), but the cables may not be shriveled up, that is just as good as unrepairable.

I am located in the Netherlands, if you want me to repair your cables, please PM me.

Posted on: 2014/8/7 23:13
Joined 2014/7/30
2 Posts
Long Time User (5 Years)
New to the forum, joined to find someone to repair my VB as I am too timid to try soldering. Runnerpack got my unit fixed, it arrived today and I am playing golf...its glorious!!! If only I still had my galactic pinball cart.

Anyways thanks RunnerPack.

Posted on: 2014/8/8 7:22
PVB Elite
Joined 2003/7/26
USA
1464 Posts
PVBCC EntryCoderContributorSpecial AchievementTop10 PosterHOTY09 EntryLong Time User (15 Years) App Coder20+ Game RatingsPVBCC 2013 Entry
It was my pleasure, virmonk. Thanks for the vote of approval

Posted on: 2014/8/8 20:24
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2011/7/3
USA
435 Posts
CoderContributorLong Time User (8 Years) App Coder40+ Game Ratings
TheForce81 wrote:Quote:
I am located in the Netherlands, if you want me to repair your cables, please PM me.

This is great now we have a guy in the states repairing displays and TheForce81 repairing them on the other side of the globe...Awesome!

Posted on: 2014/8/10 20:01
VB Gamer
Joined 2014/8/10
21 Posts
Long Time User (5 Years)
Hey, anyone still offer their services? Ive got a Virtual Boy that I got from Goodwill a couple years ago. I finally want to fix it! My left display is perfectly fine right now, no lines. And the right display is supremely glitchy. I dont think I have the skills to do the soldering fix myself.

For those curious, it came with the controller, stand, Nesters Funky Bowling, eyehood, and ac adapter for around 35 bucks if I remember right.

Posted on: 2014/8/10 22:09
PVB Elite
Joined 2009/12/30
Netherlands
545 Posts
Highscore Top10Highscore Top ScoreContributor10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (9 Years)
Quote:

donhonk wrote:
Hey, anyone still offer their services? Ive got a Virtual Boy that I got from Goodwill a couple years ago. I finally want to fix it! My left display is perfectly fine right now, no lines. And the right display is supremely glitchy. I dont think I have the skills to do the soldering fix myself.

For those curious, it came with the controller, stand, Nesters Funky Bowling, eyehood, and ac adapter for around 35 bucks if I remember right.

What part of the world do you reside in? If you live in Europe, I can offer my services, if you live in the USA, I could still help you, but Runnerpack would be a better option, then just send him a PM, if you want me to do it, PM me please.

Posted on: 2014/8/10 23:48
VB Gamer
Joined 2014/8/10
21 Posts
Long Time User (5 Years)
Quote:

TheForce81 wrote:
Quote:

donhonk wrote:

What part of the world do you reside in? If you live in Europe, I can offer my services, if you live in the USA, I could still help you, but Runnerpack would be a better option, then just send him a PM, if you want me to do it, PM me please.

Oh yeah, sorry should have said. I live in the USA. Thanks, I'll hit him up.

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post