Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Re: The VB Glitchy Display Problem
Posted on: 2014/4/18 18:11
Nintendoid!
Joined 2007/11/10
Austria
140 Posts
Long Time User (11 Years)
I also got now my display units fixed by Runnerpack and I am quite happy with the results:

http://youtu.be/N7CmNjc2E4w

:-)

Posted on: 2014/4/20 15:15
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2011/7/3
USA
435 Posts
CoderContributorLong Time User (8 Years) App Coder40+ Game Ratings
Enjoyed the Video:)
I'm so glad that the community has someone we can trust to fix our displays.:)

Posted on: 2014/4/20 22:44
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/3/10
USA
900 Posts
Top10 PosterLong Time User (8 Years) 30+ Game Ratings
Quote:

VectrexRoli2 wrote:
I also got now my display units fixed by Runnerpack and I am quite happy with the results:

i'm curious about the part where you clean the contacts. you mentioned that you still had some lines and so you cleaned the contacts. we already had reports that the lines are being caused by dust on the plastic lens over the LEDs, and that wiping that area will get rid of those black lines. this makes me curious, could the lines be caused by both dust on the contacts and dust on the LEDs?

Posted on: 2014/4/20 23:10
Nintendoid!
Joined 2007/11/10
Austria
140 Posts
Quote:

Lester Knight schrieb:
Quote:

VectrexRoli2 wrote:

i'm curious about the part where you clean the contacts. you mentioned that you still had some lines and so you cleaned the contacts. we already had reports that the lines are being caused by dust on the plastic lens over the LEDs, and that wiping that area will get rid of those black lines. this makes me curious, could the lines be caused by both dust on the contacts and dust on the LEDs?

I guess having dust on the LED would look different than the issue I have seen. My problem was black "missing" lines which were clearly contact issues and cleaning the contacts helped immediately. As I tried the oven fix 3 times it might be that the dust came from that. Maybe cleaning the LED cover is also a good idea to reduce some slight brightness differences between the scanlines? I don´t know that and didn´t experiment with that so far.

Posted on: 2014/4/21 18:19
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/7/1
Germany
1109 Posts
CoderContributorTop10 PosterLong Time User (8 Years) App CoderPVBCC 2013 Entry
I had the exact same problem. There is no need to clean the contacts. Doing what DogP said in this post fixes the problem:

http://www.planetvb.com/modules/newbb ... t_id=24578#forumpost24578

Quote:

DogP wrote:
One thing to note: there's a pretty consistent problem where the cables are dimpled from where they've been in contact with the socket on the motherboard side for 17+ years... this ends up causing a glitchy display problem as well. The easy solution is to simply pull the cable out a tiny bit.

When you push the display cable into the LIF socket, you'll feel a little bit of tension, and then you'll feel it sorta pop into place. That means you went too far. Just pull it out a tiny bit, where you feel a little bit of tension, and you'll be good to go.

Posted on: 2014/4/21 18:56
Nintendoid!
Joined 2007/11/10
Austria
140 Posts
Quote:

thunderstruck schrieb:
I had the exact same problem. There is no need to clean the contacts. Doing what DogP said in this post fixes the problem:

http://www.planetvb.com/modules/newbb ... t_id=24578#forumpost24578

Quote:

DogP wrote:
One thing to note: there's a pretty consistent problem where the cables are dimpled from where they've been in contact with the socket on the motherboard side for 17+ years... this ends up causing a glitchy display problem as well. The easy solution is to simply pull the cable out a tiny bit.

When you push the display cable into the LIF socket, you'll feel a little bit of tension, and then you'll feel it sorta pop into place. That means you went too far. Just pull it out a tiny bit, where you feel a little bit of tension, and you'll be good to go.

I tried that but it didn´t work for me, but maybe other people don´t have any dust or dirt on their contacts.

Posted on: 2014/4/22 3:24
PVB Elite
Joined 2003/7/26
USA
1464 Posts
PVBCC EntryCoderContributorSpecial AchievementTop10 PosterHOTY09 EntryLong Time User (15 Years) App Coder20+ Game RatingsPVBCC 2013 Entry
@Roli: Thanks again for the shout-out – both here and on YouTube!

I have to admit, I never had trouble with dirt on the contacts – and DogP's trick with the LIF socket usually does the trick for me – but cleaning them is a good tip, nonetheless.

I always do my best to avoid touching the LED cover, but I've only ever cleaned them when accidentally touched. It would be pretty hard to get dust on one, since they're basically "hermetically sealed" in the VB. Besides, if you could see the effect of dust on the cover at all, it would be pretty easy to tell the difference between that and an actual missing row caused by a faulty cable.

Dust on the mirrors, on the other hand, is quite visible as an odd, blurry, horizontal line which doesn't span the width of the display, and which moves relative to the image when you move your head. It's a lot harder to clean the mirrors, and there's a much higher chance of messing something up in the process. They're first-surface mirrors, which means there's no protective glass layer over the delicate polished surface – although there may be some type of clear lacquer, so never clean them with any kind of solvent!

Posted on: 2014/5/10 17:53
Joined 2014/5/4
1 Posts
Long Time User (5 Years)
Howdy! Sorry for the silly question, but I've been having some display issues, and I'm wondering if someone could confirm whether or not a loosey-goosey ribbon cable is to blame. It most likely is, but since I couldn't find many visual examples to go by, I wanted to make sure.

I have some footage of the problem below (sorry for the quality!). This only happens in the right lens, also.

http://youtu.be/lzZbsi-_QSc

As you can see, lots of intermittent flickering and vertical whatsit. Can anyone shed any light?

Thank you for your time!

Posted on: 2014/5/10 19:47
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/3/10
USA
900 Posts
Top10 PosterLong Time User (8 Years) 30+ Game Ratings
that appears to be a common ribbon cable issue to me. regardless of it if turned out to be something else, you would be future proofing your display connections by having them soldered.

Posted on: 2014/5/11 8:38
PVB Elite
Joined 2003/7/25
USA
1507 Posts
PVBCC 1stCoderContributor#3 PosterHOTY09 EntryLong Time User (15 Years) App CoderPVBCC 2010 EntryPVBCC 2013 Entry
Quote:

geoflcl wrote:
Howdy! Sorry for the silly question, but I've been having some display issues, and I'm wondering if someone could confirm whether or not a loosey-goosey ribbon cable is to blame. It most likely is, but since I couldn't find many visual examples to go by, I wanted to make sure.

Yep... looks like the intermittent cable issue to me.

DogP

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post