Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Re: The VB Glitchy Display Problem
Posted on: 2012/8/20 16:10
PVB Elite
Joined 2008/11/10
Great Britain
513 Posts
ContributorLong Time User (11 Years)
I thought I would fire up my second VB and see what could be done about the glitchy display it has, and to my surprise it now works fine, no glitch, no lines, no graphic break down, its fine, for now. This may sound odd but I was disappointed it worked, I wanted to try and work out another solution to fix, maybe using some type of clamp that holds the ribbon cable to the pcb, I haven't worked out any details but wanted to get a start.
I can still try and figure out something and hope that the glitch returns in the future so I can try and fix it.

Posted on: 2012/8/20 16:51
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/4/27
USA
2308 Posts
Highscore Top10 1stHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreCollection Top10Contributor#2 PosterLong Time User (9 Years) 30+ Game Ratings
I don't think there would be any need to wait for the problem to return before you try to fix it. If it had a glitchy display at all, it will only be a matter of a couple of weeks before you will see the problem again, and it will get worse and worse. Thus, you could apply the clamp right now, while it's still working fine, and if no problem arises within a couple of months, you'll know that the clamp is working.

Posted on: 2012/8/21 9:30
PVB Elite
Joined 2008/11/10
Great Britain
513 Posts
ContributorLong Time User (11 Years)
@Ben, I agree, it just goes to show the temperamental nature of the glitchy display problem. That unit was sent to me with the glitch and every time I have fired it up I had the glitch, but not yesterday.
I need to open it up again and see what could be done, then like you say if it doesn't come back, it could well have worked.

Posted on: 2012/9/9 20:11
Joined 2012/9/9
2 Posts
Long Time User (7 Years)
Hello everyone, I'm new to the site and I'm looking for someone who could help me repair my displays. I've done the oven method but that was only a temporary fix. If any anyone solders the displays could u please pm me since I have no experience in soldering. Any help would be greatly appreciated. It would be great to have my VB working great again.

Posted on: 2012/9/9 21:07
VB Gamer
Joined 2009/4/28
USA
46 Posts
10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (11 Years)
Im not sure if mine is a display error, or a mark on the right lense. please see my post regarding my problem. But either way, I would like to get mine repaired. I've found a guy in GB who can do it, but anyone in the US would help me out as I can't open this thing so shipping costs would be great if I could lower them.

Posted on: 2012/9/18 3:36
PVB Elite
Joined 2012/7/9
USA
836 Posts
Top10 PosterLong Time User (7 Years) 20+ Game Ratings
I used my screwdriver and took apart my spare VB because it displays nothing. Then I got to thinking, and realized that hotglue guns dispense the glue around 200 degrees, so I squirted hot glue on each ribbon and now it displays a perfect image.

Posted on: 2012/9/18 3:38
PVB Elite
Joined 2012/7/9
USA
836 Posts
I didn't ever need to take the displays out for the hotglue gun fix. But it's now a viable fix to be added to the possible repairs list.

Posted on: 2012/9/18 7:12
PVB Elite
Joined 2003/7/26
USA
1470 Posts
PVBCC EntryCoderContributorSpecial AchievementTop10 PosterHOTY09 EntryLong Time User (15 Years) App Coder20+ Game RatingsPVBCC 2013 Entry
Quote:

Dreammary wrote:
I used my screwdriver and took apart my spare VB because it displays nothing. Then I got to thinking, and realized that hotglue guns dispense the glue around 200 degrees, so I squirted hot glue on each ribbon and now it displays a perfect image.

I'm glad it worked for you, but you have to realize that it's no more permanent a fix than the oven method, yet it's next to impossible to re-do it when (not "if") it fails again, since adding more glue on top of what's there won't heat the original adhesive at all. It may be possible (though probably very messy and possibly painful) to do the oven method, but the glue will almost certainly hinder the heat getting to the joint, making that method even less effective than it already is. On top of that, you've made it very difficult to apply the "actual" (solder) repair method. Your only hope is that the glue doesn't actually stick to the cable (which it tends not to do on such smooth surfaces), and that peeling it off doesn't permanently damage the cable or board.

All that being said, you may be on to something. If a similar substance can be found to evenly conduct the right amount of heat to the joint without sticking to it, you may have found a "less dangerous" alternative to the oven method.

tl;dr: I don't recommend this method.

Posted on: 2012/9/18 13:08
PVB Elite
Joined 2012/7/9
USA
836 Posts
The hotglue peels right off the cable, as I discovered just now because the cable is slick.

Posted on: 2012/11/3 17:55
Joined 2012/9/24
4 Posts
Long Time User (7 Years)
Hi. I'm new to this forum, and I have a virtual boy with the horizontal line glitch in both sides of the eyepiece. I've tried opening up my virtual boy but when I do, there seems to be a part connected to the black plastic casing. I've taken out all the 6 required screws so that is not the issue. I was wondering if this happens to all virtual boys or if I just really messed mine up. If it's messed up, then I was wondering if anyone knew how to fix it? Oh, and the part the seems to be connected to the black plastic is at about the same spot as the cartridge slot. I don't know if that helps.

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post