Register To Post

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

About 1 month down... Progress?
Posted on: 2008/5/30 7:48
PVB Elite
Joined 2003/7/25
USA
1507 Posts
PVBCC 1stCoderContributor#3 PosterHOTY09 EntryLong Time User (15 Years) App CoderPVBCC 2010 EntryPVBCC 2013 Entry
Just curious about everyone's progress so far... how many people are planning on participating, what are you planning on making, how many of you have actually started, and those who have started, how is the progress going?

I plan on making a Super Mario Kart game. In the first week I spent a fair amount of time working on it, and it's been coming along pretty well. I haven't worked on it much since then though, since I've been working on other projects, like the VBTV adapter, and the VB link<->USB adapter. I should be starting back up on it again soon though.

Anyway, currently I've implemented a simple Mario Kart engine using Affine. The engine works great with just a few bugs to work out. There's minimal to no collision detection implemented yet. I have music that I snagged from a MIDI of the SNES version, and I have a simple engine tone.

Still needing to be added is collision detection, other racers, items, AI, link support, better music/sound, more tracks/characters, and of course all the stuff that goes along with being a game, like menus and stuff (plus whatever else I'm forgetting).

So... how about everyone else? I'll upload a ROM of the current build, probably tomorrow night when I get home from work, so everyone can see some progress... and hopefully encourage everyone to keep working on their games :) .

KR155E: Is it possible to make it so only registered users can download an attachment (or is it already like this)? It's not really a big deal, but I'd prefer that WIP versions don't pop up on ROM sites, and maybe requiring a login may help that.

DogP

Re: About 1 month down... Progress?
Posted on: 2008/5/30 12:44
Administrator
Joined 2000/1/8
Germany
2508 Posts
Highscore Top10Highscore Top ScoreCoder#1 PosterHOTY09 1stLong Time User (15 Years) App Coder90+ Game Ratings
that'll make a great entry, looking forward to it! :)

i am also working on a game, blox 2 to name it, but of course not for the compo.

about your other question: everyone can download attachments and there's no way to change this without hacking the forum module. :/ you could put a password on the file and only give it to trusted users per pm.

so, what's everyone else having in the works? or is anyone else working on something? ;)

Posted on: 2008/5/31 9:08
PVB Elite
Joined 2003/7/25
USA
1507 Posts
PVBCC 1stCoderContributor#3 PosterHOTY09 EntryLong Time User (15 Years) App CoderPVBCC 2010 EntryPVBCC 2013 Entry
Cool... what enhancements are you planning for Blox 2?

Anyway, here's the link to my current Kart version: http://virtual.boy.home.comcast.net/VB/kart.zip ... I did password protect it, but I guess it's not a big deal if it gets out... it's pretty crappy right now, so people that waste their time downloading it expecting a "game" are the ones that really lose out . That said, please don't send it to any of the ROM sites... of course a version which will hopefully be much better and playable will released by the end of the competition, which is why I'd like the beta versions to stay just in the VB community. The password is Beta_Kart.

So... anyone else have a preview, or at least want to chime in and say what you're working on?

Edit: BTW, this doesn't work properly in the emulators (AFAIK)... it partially displays, and then crashes Reality Boy when you turn a little bit (at least the version I'm running), and Red Dragon doesn't display the Affine stuff correctly. Plus, there's audio... so, basically... run it on a flash cart .

DogP
Edited by DogP on 2008/5/31 9:43

Posted on: 2008/5/31 12:48
Virtual Freak
Joined 2008/5/30
Spain
78 Posts
CoderLong Time User (11 Years) PVBCC 2010 2nd
ohh the demo is very promising!, I would not be nothing programming but could help you in the creation of graphics if you are interested!!

Posted on: 2008/5/31 14:12
Administrator
Joined 2000/1/8
Germany
2508 Posts
Highscore Top10Highscore Top ScoreCoder#1 PosterHOTY09 1stLong Time User (15 Years) App Coder90+ Game Ratings
i tried it on hardware and it already rocks! looks very cool using 3d effects. i also like the idea of using the right dpad for looking back or to the sides, btw. :)

blox 2 is a complete recode with several new features. it will announce it (and probably release a demo to some people) soon, when i worked out a small bug and made some more additions.
Edited by KR155E on 2008/6/11 16:55

Posted on: 2008/5/31 21:43
Nintendoid!
Joined 2007/9/25
USA
155 Posts
Long Time User (11 Years)
That Mario Kart Demo looks very awesome! It's gonna look great when it's done! Can't wait to play BLOX 2 Kr155e!

Posted on: 2008/6/1 12:22
VB Gamer
Joined 2007/12/26
41 Posts
Long Time User (11 Years)
Supernice, you should add a lot of offtrack spirtes like trees,etc... so you get a better speed feeling. I tried it on the Red Dragon and it worked fine (just some screen flicker sometimes). Btw, you should put the player at the same high as the floor where the kart touches not at the head like its atm. Im shure you already know that but that was something I thought you should fix. Anyway, super awesome :D

Posted on: 2008/6/1 19:35
PVB Elite
Joined 2003/7/25
USA
1507 Posts
Bruno: Which version of Red Dragon are you using? In .38 on my PC I get a very ugly misdrawn track... and Reality Boy .82 crashes when I use multiple Y BGMaps.

I do still have some tweaking to do w/ the camera and kart position, but I'm not sure what you're explaining... are you talking about the parallax? If so, you need to try it on real hardware... I think the parallax is correct (or at least close)... the emulators don't do parallax correctly on affine worlds (the track is actually 3D w/ the distant parts further away, and the closer parts closer). In the emulator (at least RB), the entire track is drawn at the same parallax.

DogP

Posted on: 2008/6/2 0:21
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2003/9/3
Sweden
438 Posts
PVBCC EntryHighscore Top10 3rdCoderContributorHOTY09 2ndLong Time User (15 Years) DonatorApp CoderPVBCC 2010 1st20+ Game RatingsPVBCC 2013 2nd
I get the same ugly results as you in Red Dragon DogP, but you should try Reality Boy .83 (10/05/2005). It looks very good there and there are no crashes either. Good work btw :D

Edit:
It's the 0.82.2 win alpha package, but the title bar of the emu actually says 0.83

Posted on: 2008/6/2 1:46
PVB Elite
Joined 2003/7/25
USA
1507 Posts
Ah... I looked on DT's site and the newest he has is 0.82.1... I didn't think to check here. This version works better :) . I'm not sure about the parallax now though... this version does do parallax in affine, but reading the readme he says it's not perfect... and I'm pretty sure I tweaked it on hardware to look correct. But, it has been a while since I've run it on hardware, and I have made a lot of changes since I looked at that specifically, so who knows :P .

DogP

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post