Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Re: multiple colors - a dead end?
Posted on: 7/27 1:08
VB Gamer
Joined 2017/6/24
USA
43 Posts
Long Time User (1 Year)
What emulator did you use to take those screenshots?

Posted on: 7/27 1:54
PVB Elite
Joined 2012/7/9
USA
797 Posts
Top10 PosterLong Time User (6 Years) 20+ Game Ratings
I really want to see a game implement this layered dithering.

Posted on: 7/27 14:27
Administrator
Joined 2000/1/8
Germany
2498 Posts
Highscore Top10Highscore Top ScoreCoder#1 PosterHOTY09 1stLong Time User (15 Years) App Coder90+ Game Ratings
Quote:

StinkerB06 wrote:
What emulator did you use to take those screenshots?

You can only screenshot one of the two images that are combined in the player's visual cortex, but not the resulting image. Therefore, all the 8 color images above are mocks.

Quote:

Dreammary wrote:
I really want to see a game implement this layered dithering.

I definitely want to do that in future games where it makes sense. The drawbacks are:

- consumes extra char memory, which is often a bottleneck in VB dev
- consumes an additional world (of which there are 32 in total)
- flickers on emulators

So I guess that, in addition to using the additional colors only for shading and such, as STEREO BOY has shown, it would make sense to:

- use high color images economically
- implement an "emulator mode" that falls back to 4 color images.

Posted on: 7/27 14:47
Administrator
Joined 2000/1/8
Germany
2498 Posts
Highscore Top10Highscore Top ScoreCoder#1 PosterHOTY09 1stLong Time User (15 Years) App Coder90+ Game Ratings
So I just approached the topic from a different direction and found out that up to 10 colors are possible using this trick - not only 8. Previously I just used the scientifically proven method of trial and error(tm) using consistent brightness settings.

---

Now with a tiny bit of math involved:

Let two consecutive frames be our atomic unit, in which a color is generated from either a single color shown in both frames, or the blending of two different colors, each visible in one of the frames.

A "color" basically is just red with a certain brightness, that is a certain amount of photones emitted by the VB's LEDs defined by how long the LED is on for that pixel.

For the previous demos, consistent brightness settings were used, meaning that every color is twice as bright as the previous one.

Black: 0
Dark Red: 32
Medium Red: 64
Bright Red: 128

---

Let's have color #4 as an example, which is a blended color between dark red and medium red.

Even Frame: Overlaying image is not visible, thus you see the lower image's dark red (32).

Odd Frame: Overlaying image is visible, thus you see it's medium red (64).

The resulting perceived brightness is: (32 + 64) / 2 = 48

---

Following are the resulting 8 colors using consistent brightness settings:

#1: 0
#2: 16 (Blended)
#3: 32
#4: 48 (Blended)
#5: 64
#6: 80 (Blended)
#7: 96 (Blended)
#8: 128

---

Now, if we use non-consistent brightness settings, for example (0, 24, 80, 128), we can produce 10 different colors. I am currently trying to find the optimal values to produce a color palette as homogeneous as possible.

Find the LibreOffice Calc document I made for this attached to this post. If all goes well, the next ROM posted here will show a 10 color image. Fingers crossed that it won't flicker on hardware either. :-)

Attach file:

ods colorcalc.ods Size: 16.24 KB; Hits: 51

Posted on: 7/27 20:41
PVB Elite
Joined 2012/7/9
USA
797 Posts
Top10 PosterLong Time User (6 Years) 20+ Game Ratings
This is the dither map I designed in 2015, itís all possible combinations.

Attach file:

jpeg  BDDB1C1A-C8B1-4C13-AF56-9A7BAA912BFA.jpeg (12.21 KB)
2873_5b5b677456240.jpeg 351X163 px

Posted on: 10/5 16:35
Administrator
Joined 2000/1/8
Germany
2498 Posts
I am still working on this with Stereo Boy. We've moved on to using animations instead of transparencies, so we're now using a single animated image with 2 animation frames which alternate every cycle, instead of two images, where one is constant, while the other is only shown every second frame.

We're still experimenting with 10 colors, but it seems the best way is having 7 colors: the original 4 plus 3 in between, so we're mixing every color only with its direct adjacents for minimal flickering and both a perfectly consistent palette and brightness settings.

Anyway, I have updated my LibreOffice Calc color table a little bit.

Attach file:

ods colorCalc.ods Size: 15.27 KB; Hits: 23

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post