Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Re: Artistic homebrew & some questions.
Posted on: 2005/12/18 18:43
Nintendoid!
Joined 2005/10/25
Great Britain
123 Posts
Long Time User (13 Years)
I'm not familiar with mod, but midi should be pretty easy. I know wav is a possibility, but I'm assuming that it'll take up a lot of space on the cart ;-) Anyway, if anyone does want me to make music, then email me and tell me what sort of atmosphere you want the music to create and I'll do my best =)

Posted on: 2005/12/20 8:58
PVB Elite
Joined 2003/7/25
USA
1507 Posts
PVBCC 1stCoderContributor#3 PosterHOTY09 EntryLong Time User (15 Years) App CoderPVBCC 2010 EntryPVBCC 2013 Entry
I've made a few sound things for the VB... it's kinda a pain, but I sorta wrote a mod->VB converter. I think midi would work, except the VB doesn't really do instruments like midi (or even mod), so you just have to keep that in mind (like you can't have a drum beat and expect it to convert easily or at all).

If you could make any sort of cool music, in mod or midi, that'd be sweet if you could send it my way (dogp (@) comcast (.) net). I'm not too picky about the theme of the music, especially since I have several projects that it could be used for, and most are probably not far enough along to really have a "theme". But, there are only 6 channels, 4 regular, 1 regular or sweep/modulation, and 1 white noise, so obviously it can't be too complex. I'd listen to some released VB game music and hear what they do, and remember that they created the system, so they know what they're doing, and have the right tools, so don't make yours as complex until we have better tools ;) .

DogP

Posted on: 2005/12/20 13:45
Administrator
Joined 2000/1/8
Germany
2515 Posts
Highscore Top10Highscore Top ScoreCoder#1 PosterHOTY09 1stLong Time User (15 Years) App Coder90+ Game Ratings
I'd also have use for music in Blox, if I ever get arond to adding sound ~_~

Posted on: 2005/12/20 16:04
PVB Elite
Joined 2003/7/25
USA
1507 Posts
PVBCC 1stCoderContributor#3 PosterHOTY09 EntryLong Time User (15 Years) App CoderPVBCC 2010 EntryPVBCC 2013 Entry
Yeah, well we need sound in the emulators too, so people will actually hear it. I mean, otherwise only people with carts will actually hear the music, which kinda puts it pretty low on the priority list :P.

DogP

Posted on: 2005/12/20 17:38
Nintendoid!
Joined 2004/10/25
USA
100 Posts
CoderLong Time User (14 Years) App Coder
Darn thoes lazy emulator authors! (HeHeHe)

Posted on: 2005/12/21 17:34
PVB Elite
Joined 2003/7/25
USA
1507 Posts
I know... I'm sure they're all just sitting around doing nothing posting messages on some message board or something ;-).

DogP

Posted on: 2005/12/21 18:42
Nintendoid!
Joined 2004/10/25
USA
100 Posts
Speeking of nothing, I have a new port of GCCvb and Reality_Boy almost ready to go but man I can't find any free time.

I would love to pass GCCvb off to someone else so they can finish it up if someone wants to take it back. As of right now I have it working perfectly so you can use doubles, turn on optimization, support unary increments, etc. I even have new and delete stubed in (but I dont allocate a heap since we dont have enough memory).

I think this build would finaly be ready for someone to start porting code from the SNES to the VB. Or even some GBA code might run.

David

Posted on: 2006/1/15 20:33
VB Gamer
Joined 2003/11/1
USA
46 Posts
CoderLong Time User (15 Years) App Coder
I recently downloaded the latest binutils sources and planned to add v810/NVC support to the v850 'core'. But it sounds like you have already started that process.
The current "GCCvb" is unfortunately quite old. It would be nice to have something newer, and maybe even get it into the official distribution so our changes will automatically carry over to new builds. :)

Posted on: 2006/1/18 12:35
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2003/7/27
Australia
267 Posts
CoderLong Time User (15 Years) DonatorApp Coder
Well, he did mention that he's willing to pass his code onto someone who will finish it...

Posted on: 2006/1/19 0:15
Nintendoid!
Joined 2004/10/25
USA
100 Posts
GCC development is a huge pain in the side. Mostly because there is NO documentation for anything. I think I have identified all of the areas that need to be modified in GCC 3.x but its the nity grity details that kill you.

So far I have only been improving the current release of gccvb and ahve not migrated any of the v810 code forward. But it will need to be done sooner thain later since 4.x GCC series no longer compiles the 2.x GCC code (grr!).

Im way buisy right now trying to get a job in Colorado at Idol Minds (makers of Neopets for the PS2) but I will try to find time to post all my new code and changes to my site soon (before I forget everything =0). Right now Im working on a PS2 remake of asteroids (in vector mode) but usig a 3D perspective (like my VB Asteroids 3D project).

David

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post