Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Re: Assembler source code
Posted on: 2005/2/21 16:10
VB Gamer
Joined 2004/1/14
USA
18 Posts
Long Time User (15 Years)
OK, I didn't have much time to work on this weekend, and I'm going from memory...

When I try to build binutils, it fails at the point where it is compiling tc-v810.c in the gas/config directory. This file appears to be the main file for the gas assembler. The problem is, I get a bunch of harmless(?) warning messages, but no error message. It actually gives the error on the tc-v810.o file. So it could be a linker error, but I don't think its at that point in the build yet. So....I've got my work cut out for me. If anyone has any ideas, let me know.

As for reality boy, I tried compiling it, but realised I didn't have the allegro library installed, so I'll get back to you with those results.

Posted on: 2005/2/22 19:45
Nintendoid!
Joined 2004/10/25
USA
100 Posts
CoderLong Time User (15 Years) App Coder
If anyone wants to undertake the task of moving reality boy off of Allegro and onto SDL or another cross platform library I would apriciate the help. Its realy quite simple I only use 5 or 6 allegro functions, just abstract them and swap out the underlying library. The big kicker is rewriting the key routines, but while your at it you could hack in joystick support and make the world a better place.

David Tucker

Posted on: 2005/2/25 14:33
VB Gamer
Joined 2004/1/14
USA
18 Posts
I've got gccvb up and running!

I just had to slighty alter a macro in the tc-v810.c file, and voila! it works! I haven't done extensive testing(still haven't gotten around to compiling allegro & reality boy) but it successfully compiled some source. I added in the linker script and crt0.o from the official gccvb (thanks Parasyte!) and it linked succesfully as well. I was also able to compile padromvb (thanks RunnerPack!), but I haven't tested it yet. I checked the assembly listing and it was in correct v810 format, so as long as the assembler works, it should be a valid VB image once I add a header and pad off the rom.

So now I've got a working gccvb on my Linux/PPC system. Hell, its even got a fortran compiler :) So, I'll test it out fully, and then I'll also compile it for Linux/i386, and eventually for OS 9 & OS X.

Posted on: 2005/2/26 2:31
PVB Elite
Joined 2003/7/26
USA
1465 Posts
PVBCC EntryCoderContributorSpecial AchievementTop10 PosterHOTY09 EntryLong Time User (15 Years) App Coder20+ Game RatingsPVBCC 2013 Entry
WOOT! Good job!

Which version of gcc/binutils did you patch? Since you mentioned fortran, it makes me think you used a different, or at least more complete, version. If you did, I'd love to get your sources (or a patch) and try building new Win32 binaries.

I'd like a standalone version that can coexist with otherwise-targetted gcc's (like MinGW) without changing environment vars. Like the two that are used for Dreamcast development. Maybe also with Para's linker-script compiled-in.

BTW, you're welcome to padromvb. I'm sure you could make something even better yourself, anyway...

Can't wait to see the cool VB stuff you make!

Posted on: 2005/2/28 14:16
VB Gamer
Joined 2004/1/14
USA
18 Posts
I used the version found at the japanese site, which is 2.10. I'm hoping in the next couple of days to try it on 2.14, and maybe gcc 3.3.3.

I only found a couple small things that needed altering from the files on the site, so it doesn't take much to get it going.

Posted on: 2005/3/20 16:44
VB Gamer
Joined 2003/11/1
USA
46 Posts
CoderLong Time User (15 Years) App Coder
Sounds great! I have always wanted to compile my own copy (with updated binutils, and adding those NVC-specific instructions). I guess I never got around to trying it. I was also quite interested in getting newlib or libc to compile for v810, since the standard libs are almost a necessity. One problem I can imagine would be memory usage. Poor VB only has 64KB WRAM, so the standard libs would have to be quite lean. You can bet that things like malloc() would cause problems.

Otherwise, that is really great news! Now all that is needed is [another!] fixup to the linker script and crt0. The linker script is missing support for memory overflow checking. It's really too easy to overflow WRAM. Especially when you forget to declare large, static arrays and structures as const. As for the crt0, the publically available version is missing interrupt support, and the interrupt support in the current revision is nasty, at best. It just saves all 32 GPRs, rather than only the volatile GPRs. (r1 - r5, and r30, I believe. though the bitstring regs (r26 - r30, or so) may also need saving). Blah. :)

One day we'll have a completely stand-alone copy of gccvb!

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post