Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Assembler source code
Posted on: 2005/2/11 19:30
VB Gamer
Joined 2004/1/14
USA
18 Posts
Long Time User (15 Years)
Does anyone have source code for either of the VB assemblers available? I'd like to make an assembler for Linux, and it would be very easy if I had source already written :)

Also, does anyone know if gcc has support for V810 built in?

Re: Assembler source code
Posted on: 2005/2/13 6:31
PVB Elite
Joined 2003/7/26
USA
1464 Posts
PVBCC EntryCoderContributorSpecial AchievementTop10 PosterHOTY09 EntryLong Time User (15 Years) App Coder20+ Game RatingsPVBCC 2013 Entry
Alberto has both Linux and Aix versions of his assembler on his downloads page. If you asked nicely, he'd probably give you the source to any of them.

Here's Reality Boy's open-source Java + Antlr assembler... Java's a bit like C, right?

Also, you should be able to compile gccVB for *nix and use gas.

AFAIK, they've removed v8xx support from gcc. I think the patch is to convert the (now gone) v850 support into v810, but don't quote me

Good luck!

EDIT: Just thought of something: It would seriously rock if you added some of the features in Brian's Grand Theftendo assembler! (a.k.a. NESHLA)

Post Edited (02-13-05 06:37)

Posted on: 2005/2/16 18:38
VB Gamer
Joined 2004/1/14
USA
18 Posts
Thanks! I don't know why I didn't think of looking at the source to the Java compiler. In fact I don't know why I didn't think to use it, since I have java on my machine.....I easily miss the obvious sometimes. The reason I wanted the source code is that I run Linux on a Mac(don't laugh), so the regular Linux binaries wouldn't work.

I may still go ahead with my own assembler, though, especially if there are features others would like to see in it. Also, the time it would take to program it would take away from my VB programming :)

Also, when you say compile gccVB, does that mean that source is available? I've only seen the win32 binary.

Posted on: 2005/2/17 0:08
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2003/7/27
Australia
267 Posts
CoderLong Time User (15 Years) DonatorApp Coder
I would also like the actual source to gccVB.

I've heard that there's a V810 patch available for an old version of GCC, but I have absolutely no clue what it is or what I'm supposed to do.

Posted on: 2005/2/17 7:52
PVB Elite
Joined 2003/7/26
USA
1464 Posts
PVBCC EntryCoderContributorSpecial AchievementTop10 PosterHOTY09 EntryLong Time User (15 Years) App Coder20+ Game RatingsPVBCC 2013 Entry
Yes, I know it's in Japanese, but here it is.

lameboyadvance is right; you have to get the gcc code (probably only works with the version shown) and patch it with the diff, then compile. Then, do the same with the binutils.

If you do try it with other versions (perhaps using the gcc update patches before or after the v810 patches?) let us know how it goes!

Also, I don't know if there are any, but other Mac user/VB dev'ers would probably like precompiled binaries. I'm sure PlanetVB would be happy to host them.

Later

Post Edited (02-17-05 07:53)

Posted on: 2005/2/17 16:52
VB Gamer
Joined 2004/1/14
USA
18 Posts
Thanks for the link! The page was actually easy enough to follow. I'm gonna compile it tonight and see how it goes. If all goes well I can get back to developing my pacman game:)

Posted on: 2005/2/18 1:16
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2003/7/27
Australia
267 Posts
CoderLong Time User (15 Years) DonatorApp Coder
When you have the source in a compiling state, please share it if you don't mind.

I don't think it supports some custom V810 addresses like bit swapping.

Posted on: 2005/2/18 15:58
VB Gamer
Joined 2004/1/14
USA
18 Posts
Its not compiling yet, so it might take a little work. I would like to adapt the patch to the current releases of binutils and gcc, so we can fix things like the custom v810 addresses you mentioned.

I'll definately share, I'm completely for open source. (and I'm sure people smarter than me will improve on whatever I do ;)

Posted on: 2005/2/18 22:04
Nintendoid!
Joined 2004/10/25
USA
100 Posts
CoderLong Time User (14 Years) App Coder
I would not waste my time with my java assembler (unless you want to improve it or are masocistic) It basicaly is just a bytecode reinterpreter and has veryy little in common with real assemblers. I would do almost anything to get GCC going and use that instead of any assembler (way nicer).

Have you thought about using a simple dos or linux emulator? vbGCC for dos should run nicely in any of the various dos mode emus for linux since it does not require anything fancy like a frame buffer.

On a side note, Reality Boy should compile nicely on your system. Let me know if it does or you have any troubles.

David

Posted on: 2005/2/19 0:15
PVB Elite
Joined 2003/7/26
USA
1464 Posts
Actually, the only pre-compiled gccVB binaries I know of (the ones on the above-linked PCFX site and, with the new linker script added, on this site) are console-mode Win32 progs, not DOS. You'll probably need WINE to run them.

atari24: What are some specific problems with compiling? Any error messages? Maybe some missing files I/we can help you find?

I think I've decided to try compiling it twice, but never got past the "collecting all needed files" stage I think I might've tried applying the patches, once, and gave up...

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post