Register To Post

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Re: Hacking VB display
Posted on: 2005/1/10 6:10
PVB Elite
Joined 2003/7/26
USA
1465 Posts
PVBCC EntryCoderContributorSpecial AchievementTop10 PosterHOTY09 EntryLong Time User (15 Years) App Coder20+ Game RatingsPVBCC 2013 Entry
Quote:
I'm trying to figure out how to make a distinction of what data belongs where in the buffer, so as not to start late and end up drawing at the start of the output what is actually in the middle of the display image or something along that line. Do we know if there is any actual sync signal? I know you said that the "vibrating mirror" is master, so it has to somehow know when to be in a certain position, right?

Actually, the servo just vibrates the mirrors back and forth at a rate determined (I think) by a crystal in the VB. There is an optical interrupter (LED pointing at a phototransistor) that senses when a flag, attached to the mirrors, is in a certain spot. This signal goes back to the VIP which then knows when to start changing the LEDs.

There's also a syncronization system used to communicate with the LED arrays, themselves. The arrays aren't just a bank of LEDs with a common cathode, or something. That would take too many wires. Instead, the LEDs are divided into groups and attached to the (latched) parallel outputs of a set of shift registers. Each of the SR's has an input, but they all share a clock (and latch strobe.) And, actually, there is the equivalent of a common cathode...

FWIW, I hope you learn electronics instead of hating the VB...

Your projector idea is great (I've thought of it myself) but you'd have to emulate the above-mentioned chip. (Which wouldn't really be that hard...) As for convergence: just use tri-color LEDs (or fiber-optics to mix two regular ones) and bounce the two images off of one mirror.

Posted on: 2005/1/13 0:37
Nintendoid!
Joined 2004/10/25
USA
100 Posts
CoderLong Time User (15 Years) App Coder
Actualy it would be trivial to remove the optics in front of the display and replace them with a magnifying glass. Than if you placed a fiew mirrors strategicaly in front of the display you could project the image back to the user at a much larger dimention. Go look at some older arcade cabinents for more on this idea.

It might be posible as well to feed a small amount of voltage to the LED array to increase the overall brightness of the display (like 0.5v to 0.8v) but your not going to make a 10' projection with the VB displays.

Posted on: 2005/1/13 7:39
PVB Elite
Joined 2003/7/26
USA
1465 Posts
PVBCC EntryCoderContributorSpecial AchievementTop10 PosterHOTY09 EntryLong Time User (15 Years) App Coder20+ Game RatingsPVBCC 2013 Entry
You could also get two B&W cameras (cheap and really sensitive to red) point them into the VB (or rig up special, modified optics) and project their images through colored or polarized lenses.

But, now we're getting pretty far off-topic ;)

Posted on: 2005/1/13 11:33
VB Gamer
Joined 2003/11/9
36 Posts
Long Time User (15 Years)
Yeah, I'll hold out for a pure, beautiful, ultra-crisp SVideo-outputted version. Now I need a spare vb to disembowel and some "electronics for dummies" books... :P

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post