Lost Password?

Register To Post

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Re: The Noteworthy Auction Threadô
Posted on: 2016/3/12 2:27
VB Gamer
Joined 2007/9/26
30 Posts
Highscore Top ScoreLong Time User (12 Years)
The seller mentions that it's sun faded in the description.

本体外箱は日焼けやダメージがあります。

Which means something like "The box has sun fading and damage."

Posted on: 2016/3/12 17:33
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/4/27
USA
2293 Posts
Highscore Top10 1stHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreCollection Top10Contributor#2 PosterLong Time User (8 Years) 30+ Game Ratings
Quote:

Camera wrote:
The seller mentions that it's sun faded in the description.

本体外箱は日焼けやダメージがあります。

Which means something like "The box has sun fading and damage."

A mention of sunfade from the seller still doesn't help to explain why the box is uniformly a light blue in all of the places where it should be red. If the seller had this box when all of the places that should be red were red and then he saw these places turn blue over time, I would love to know what conditions he kept it in to produce such.

I would expect sunfade to cause all or some of the red places to turn an orangish color, as seen in the photo below, but sunfade causing all red places to be uniformly light blue baffles me.

Attach file:

png  Virtual Box Box with Sunfade.png (438.81 KB)
1643_56e444da1761f.png 602X401 px

png  Virtual Box Box Maybe with Sunfade.png (408.70 KB)
1643_56e444e8221a1.png 602X451 px

png  Virtual Box Box in Good Condition.png (581.84 KB)
1643_56e4474fd610b.png 602X457 px
Edited by Benjamin Stevens on 2016/3/12 17:43

Posted on: 2016/3/12 18:53
VB Gamer
Joined 2015/9/13
Canada
14 Posts
Long Time User (4 Years)
i have seen a nes action set box in the same blue condition in an old dusty video club window couple years ago so i guess years and years of sun exposure will bleach every colors.

Posted on: 2016/3/12 22:07
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2011/4/8
Great Britain
417 Posts
Long Time User (8 Years)
It's because there would have been a touch of blue / black in the red shadows - blue doesn't sunfade as much for whatever chemical reason, so the blue and black remains longer.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ahistoryofthewor ... ts/UrxeLz2cQAKK5UKXhj4kLw

That orange one you saw is sunfaded, but nowhere near the level you see in the 'white' one. If yu bought it, what you'd find is that the back and sides would almost certainly not have the same sunfade.

Posted on: 2016/3/12 22:53
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/7/1
Germany
1118 Posts
CoderContributorTop10 PosterLong Time User (8 Years) App CoderPVBCC 2013 Entry
Quote:

Benjamin Stevens wrote:
... but sunfade causing all red places to be uniformly light blue baffles me.

It actually looks almost like a misprint. If you look at the Virtual Boy text the red didn't turn blue but white. I have never seen sunfade completely remove one color.

Posted on: 2016/3/13 14:51
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/4/27
USA
2293 Posts
Highscore Top10 1stHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreCollection Top10Contributor#2 PosterLong Time User (8 Years) 30+ Game Ratings
Quote:

thunderstruck wrote:
Quote:

Benjamin Stevens wrote:
... but sunfade causing all red places to be uniformly light blue baffles me.

It actually looks almost like a misprint. If you look at the Virtual Boy text the red didn't turn blue but white. I have never seen sunfade completely remove one color.

Yeah, I am leaning more towards the side of it being a misprint.

Posted on: 2016/3/13 23:43
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2011/4/8
Great Britain
417 Posts
Long Time User (8 Years)
thunderstruck wrote:

Quote:
I have never seen sunfade completely remove one color.

You see it over here all the time in towns and cities, hence why I posted a picture of that crisp packet - they're not normally blue and white ;)

Here's what they look like new (attached).

Now compare that to the pic I linked to above. It's not 100% the same design but look at the logo top right, blue is the only colour that seems to remain for whatever reason.

Up to you if you want to go from it, I'm not trying to be antagonistic I just thought I would help someone avoid disappointment is all.

If you have that itch and it's gotta be scratched though, an extra VB isn't bad and they're always in demand if you don't need it.

In fact, I'd even buy the loose VB if you wanted, so you could keep the box - I would like to have another for when the link cable is a bit further along.

So, after writing this post, I would like someone to pick it up! :)

Attach file:

jpg  Smiths Crisps 1980s.JPG.opt214x300o0,0s214x300.JPG (18.77 KB)
1623_56e5ecfd212f8.jpg 214X300 px

Posted on: 2016/3/14 3:56
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/4/27
USA
2293 Posts
Various Smiths Crisps bags in the past have been made with only blue in the logo, as a google image search proves. Thus, the picture in the link you provided shows that this bag was simply one such bag with an all blue logo.
Edited by Benjamin Stevens on 2016/3/14 4:24
Edited by Benjamin Stevens on 2016/3/14 4:25

Posted on: 2016/3/14 21:02
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2015/3/28
USA
380 Posts
Long Time User (4 Years)
It looks like a extremely sunfaded box to me.

Misprint? It could be. If so, then it's a cool conversation piece.

If it is sunfade, then it would be fun to pull out some color pencils and color it in :)

Now had it been a japan mosaic demo unit with a "un"pixelated Virtual Boy on the box, then that would be something special. But the VB pictured on that box isn't big enough to be one.

Just my 2 cents.

Posted on: 2016/3/14 22:18
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/4/27
USA
2293 Posts
Quote:

vuefinder83 wrote:
Now had it been a japan mosaic demo unit with a "un"pixelated Virtual Boy on the box, then that would be something special. But the VB pictured on that box isn't big enough to be one.

I'm not exactly sure why that would matter, given that the Mosaic box was made after the first retail boxes with the red Virtual Boy on them, as the Virtual Boy Serial Number Inventory proves. Come on, vuefinder83! I thought that you of all people would notice the amazing things that all fall into their proper places with this auction being discussed. It's not just the box that is special about it.

A very important thing to consider with the Virtual Boy system, along with its packaging and contents, in question is that if the VB box in the auction is actually not the victim of a misprinting or fading from the Sun, and it truly was intentionally made largely as it appears in the auction now, with just some minor scuffing, scratches, dents, etc. being added to it over time, notice how nicely it as well as everything else presented in the auction fits into an "intermediate stage" of the Virtual Boy system with its packaging and contents - if such an intermediate stage ever truly existed - following a logical progression with the other known Virtual Boy systems and their packaging and contents:

Earliest Virtual Boy systems:
All-white system box with no image on front
VB head unit, stand, controller - none of which has a wrapping
Holding tray for contents with no cardboard overlay
No instruction manual and no other insert
Adapter tap
No serial number or very low serial number on bottom of head unit

Virtual Boy system in question and currently up for auction:
System box with virtually colorless image of Virtual Boy & controller and with white lettering on front
VB head unit, stand, controller - none of which has a wrapping
Holding tray for contents with no cardboard overlay (at least, none is pictured in the auction)
No instruction manual and no other insert
No adapter tap (if there ever was one, it has since gone missing)
Serial number, or lack thereof, is not revealed in auction's description

Retail Virtual Boy systems (some produced before the mosaic boxes, as Serial Number Inventory proves):
System box with full color image of Virtual Boy & controller and with red lettering on front
VB head unit, stand, controller - each of which has a wrapping
Holding tray for contents, as well as a cardboard overlay
Instruction manual and other inserts
No adapter tap
Higher serial number on bottom of head unit

Carefully compare the details of each corresponding line with the others, and can you not see a logical progression of the contents being added (with the exception of the adapter tap, as it was decided early on, before mass production, to sell it separately, probably to save on the total costs for each system package) or "upgraded" during the production process of the Virtual Boy?

What if... just what if the Virtual Boy up for auction and being discussed isn't missing any contents at all and is, therefore, "complete"? The seller might think that the instructions and other inserts are missing, as he describes in the listing, but what if there truly never were any instructions or other inserts or a cardboard overlay with this system and its box, indicating that this is a system made very early on? After all, usually when a person decides to keep a system's box stored somewhere for safekeeping, he is usually also okay with keeping all of the other extra contents not needed for operation, such as the instruction manual and inserts, etc. - whether it be inside the box itself or somewhere else safe. This is especially the case since the box takes up the most amount of space, and people usually throw away things in order to make more room for whatever. Nevertheless, a person who is willing to throw away a box is also usually willing to throw away an instruction manual, or else keep the instruction manual in a safe place elsewhere but get rid of the large box to save space. Nevertheless, preserving a box while losing the instruction manual is much less common, I would think, though it certainly happens. And perhaps even the seller might think that his Virtual Boy's box is a victim of fading from the Sun, as others also do, but what if that image lacking color on the box was truly made intentionally, standing as evidence of having been made during an intermediate stage of the progression of the Virtual Boy's box over time, in which case the seller himself doesn't even know what a unique specimen he truly has, which he is now selling to the highest bidder, without drawing any special attention to it.

If only the serial number, or lack thereof, of the head unit in the auction were known, as such would certainly help to answer a lot of questions. Of course, there would even be a problem there, for it is, indeed, known that over time, many Virtual Boy systems have been separated from their original boxes and placed into the boxes of other systems, so there would be no way to know for sure if the system included in the auction is truly the original head unit belonging to the box in the auction. Of course, if the serial number would be shown to be low, and the box truly is an early form of the VB box, then I'd say it would be very likely that the head unit truly does belong to that box. Nevertheless, it could still also be the case that a wrong head unit got placed into what could be a genuine, early version of the VB box. Otherwise, it is just a fluke box that just so happens to be connected with all the other aforementioned things, each of which just so happens to fall into the right place along with the box, in order for it to look very much like an early production system with packaging.

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post