Posted on: 8/23 4:47
Nintendoid!
Joined 2016/5/12
USA
139 Posts
Long Time User (3 Years)
Quote:

BigDen wrote:
To prevent confusion: Please note that this is the JAPANESE version, as seen on the description.

My bad, brainfart

Re: The Noteworthy Auction Threadô
Posted on: 8/25 11:16
Nintendoid!
Joined 2012/1/23
Germany
130 Posts
Long Time User (7 Years) Top Donator: 2nd
I wouldt like (to have) this.....if I win in the lottery

https://www.ebay.de/itm/RARE-BRAND-NEW ... ee81ba:g:MfQAAOSwHwddHh5i
Edited by Cosmoliner on 2019/8/25 13:16

Posted on: 8/28 3:02
PVB Elite
Joined 2013/6/17
Canada
1143 Posts
Top10 Poster10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (6 Years)
Woowee, $787. Not too crazy actually as far as VB stuff can be, but still out of my price range. Anyone here get that prototype?

Posted on: 8/28 4:26
Joined 8/20
9 Posts
Mhmm. Rough part is having pretty much no reference for value or just how many of these are out in the wild. Did a ton of looking around, even found out the seller is a member here in the process. Found a little bit on price, but it was like 4-5 years ago. And other than that specific member, I couldn't even really find anyone talking about owning any. Best I could do is watch what other people were willing to pay in the bidding war.

Posted on: 8/28 5:59
Virtual Freak
Joined 2013/9/9
USA
71 Posts
10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (6 Years)
As did I with the same research except didnít find original prices. All I know is at least 2 prototype of Panic bomber exist because he has an extra one.

Posted on: 8/28 6:02
PVB Elite
Joined 2013/6/17
Canada
1143 Posts
Yeah, VB prototypes come up very rarely. There's not a whole lot to go on for them. Except that one guy who wants a couple thousand for a V Baseball, but that's a bit absurd.

Posted on: 8/28 18:28
Nintendoid!
Joined 2015/9/18
Canada
152 Posts
Collection Top10 3rdLong Time User (4 Years)
Quote:

speedyink wrote:
Yeah, VB prototypes come up very rarely. There's not a whole lot to go on for them. Except that one guy who wants a couple thousand for a V Baseball, but that's a bit absurd.

Yeah and that guy openly admits that he knows nothing about VB protos or collecting, he even came to me for info and advice on NintendoAge. His reasoning for pricing it the way he did was that he figured it belonged in about the same price range as a mid-range TurboGrafx 16 prototype (spoiler alert: it doesn't) based solely on the relative obscurity of the systems.

This isn't "the going price", it's a wild guess from a seller with the hopes that some collector with more money than sense will take the bait (and if someone actually did take the bait at that price, THEN we could recognize it as the going/selling rate for VB protos).

Posted on: 8/28 22:17
PVB Elite
Joined 2013/6/17
Canada
1143 Posts
Quote:

Quaze wrote:
he even came to me for info and advice on NintendoAge.

Ha, that's kinda funny, he was asking me about it on Assemblergames. Just by the way the conversation went I could tell he's just going for top dollar and not a whole lot of interest in it other than that

Posted on: 8/29 3:27
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/4/27
USA
2291 Posts
Highscore Top10 1stHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreCollection Top10Contributor#2 PosterLong Time User (8 Years) 30+ Game Ratings
Quote:

Yamagushi wrote:
Mhmm. Rough part is having pretty much no reference for value or just how many of these are out in the wild. Did a ton of looking around, even found out the seller is a member here in the process. Found a little bit on price, but it was like 4-5 years ago. And other than that specific member, I couldn't even really find anyone talking about owning any. Best I could do is watch what other people were willing to pay in the bidding war.

As for all of the supposedly genuine prototype carts that are accounted for as being in private hands, there was the genuine prototype cart of Faceball owned by the original "Mr. G," pics of which got posted on DogP's old website. There was supposedly a genuine prototype cart of the North American version of Mansion of Insmouse, at least once in the possession of an administrator at Assembler games. There are old talks on various forums of a supposed genuine prototype cart of Dragon Hopper in the possession of someone who will never let anybody near it. These 3 prototype carts, two of which having their genuineness in question, will likely never make it into anybody else's hands, at least not publicly. That leaves the one Japanese Jack Bros prototype cart, the two Japanese Panic Bomber prototype carts, the Virtual League Baseball prototype cart, and the recently announced Bound High! prototype cart, so 5, as the only ones out there that are known and that might publicly exchange hands in the future (the original Bound High! ROM came from source code and not a prototype cart, I believe).

There was also an original prototype cart for Space Pinball, but it only fits in a prototype Virtual Boy.

So if one wants to attach a price to them based on coolness of being a Virtual Boy thing and rarity, that's the current data to go by.

Posted on: 8/29 4:24
Joined 8/20
9 Posts
Oh wow. I figured there would be more than those 6 verified. I didn't know that about space Pinball, I thought it was just like the others, do you still have that one? And that means at one point you had 4/6 of the only verified prototypes, that's nuts. Certainly makes me feel better about the purchase. And if someone really is hanging on to Dragon Hopper I hope they at least have a private dump. EPROM doesn't last forever, the thing will erase itself eventually. In fact were getting close to the shelf life already.
Edited by Yamagushi on 2019/8/29 4:36
Edited by Yamagushi on 2019/8/29 4:37

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post