Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Re: Travel Master case?
Posted on: 2012/1/14 5:47
PVB Elite
Joined 2010/2/19
USA
559 Posts
ContributorLong Time User (9 Years) Top Donator: 2nd20+ Game Ratings
On a strange note, both the 1st & 2nd TravelMaster case I purchased were bundled with high serial number consoles included. In the first case, I purchased it without the console because I thought why bother with a console that couldn't possibly be in the serial range that was bundled with a case from a rental shop? The second case came with a serial around 519k (highest serial registered on this site is 629k). The more I learn about this case, the more curious it becomes. For the record, both my cases came from sellers that didn't know what they had.

Benjamin, what serial is your friend's console? Maybe these cases really WERE INDEED sold during the downfall? I really expected the included consoles to have a serial far less than 100k when a rental shop would have had incentive to...rent them. I'll dig through my records and see if I can find the serial number of the console I passed up that was with my first TravelMaster case. All I remember was that it was high, and I denounced it from inclusion with my deal for the case based on the serial. If your friend's serial is 500k plus, maybe these things were sold at Toys R Us in the end game? I find it very confusing to get not one but two rare "rental?" cases with high serial consoles when no rental shop would have been renting them at that time. Was this case retail afterall?

I mean, whenever I buy a Blockbuster rental case with a bundled console, I always get a blockbuster rental era serial number. If these cases were rentals, you'd think not only would they have low serials, but VERY low serial. Instead, my two have had high serials. Maybe Sothern case was unloading overstock when the VB failed, thus didn't have case lids left over with the warning sticker and case lid with Nintendo's VB sticker that they wouldn't have legally been allowed to sell?
Edited by VirtualJockey on 2012/1/14 6:00
Edited by VirtualJockey on 2012/1/14 6:03
Edited by VirtualJockey on 2012/1/14 6:11

Posted on: 2012/1/14 6:34
PVB Elite
Joined 2010/2/19
USA
559 Posts
The console that came with my newest case was DOA, Glitchy right screen and dead left. He seemed very nice in his responses, and I feel that he didn't know the functional status of the console.

He said he bought it NEW! His auction included a travel master case. The guy seems really nice and has had great communication, so I asked him if he remembered where he bought the case. We'll have to wait and see. He bought the console new and judging the serial number he bought it during the VB downfall. So he bought a new non-rental console and has this case?

I'm awaiting a reply, but I'm feeling like no logic can be applied to late VB sales and marketing.Between my seller's reply and Benjamin Steven's friend, this ungodly pre-clone of the late Blockbuster case may have been a retail item in the end game when you and I weren't exactly buying VB stuff!

Posted on: 2012/1/16 2:34
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/4/27
USA
2293 Posts
Highscore Top10 1stHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreCollection Top10Contributor#2 PosterLong Time User (8 Years) 30+ Game Ratings
I definitely don't think that my friend would have gotten his Travel Master case at a small rental store. I don't even know of any small rental stores around town that would fit the bill, and I do know my friend's shopping habits pretty good, so I would trust his recollection of buying the system in a Travel Master case at a Toys R Us during the end of the VB's time in retail stores over the possibility of him buying it at some local rental store.

I should be going over to my friend's house this Thursday again for a gaming session. I'll try to remember to take a look at his Virtual Boy again and write down the serial number for you.

Nice case find, by the way.

Posted on: 2012/1/16 4:53
PVB Elite
Joined 2010/2/19
USA
559 Posts
Quote:

Benjamin Stevens wrote:
I should be going over to my friend's house this Thursday again for a gaming session. I'll try to remember to take a look at his Virtual Boy again and write down the serial number for you.

Nice case find, by the way.

Thanks man. The seller responded to me and said he purchased the VB unit NIB at an Electronics Expo in Chicago, but doesn't remember where he bought the case. He mentioned that he might have purchased it years later? Oh well, still more mystery.

Posted on: 2012/1/20 14:18
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/4/27
USA
2293 Posts
Highscore Top10 1stHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreCollection Top10Contributor#2 PosterLong Time User (8 Years) 30+ Game Ratings
Okay. I'm back from my friend's house and found out that the serial number on his Virtual Boy was torn off, definitely before the system and case were purchased used. Thus, I can't provide the serial number for the unit, unfortunately.

However, there was an additional detail noticed that could shed some more light on the origin of this Travel Master case. The system and case also included a VB instruction manual, and on the manual there is a piece of tape with writing on it that says "full retail value of game will be charged if instructions are not returned," and this is the system's instructions mind you.

The only place other than the toy store that used to be in the Indiana Mall, from where my friend thought it may have been purchased, was Blockbuster. Given the fact that this sticker largely shows that the system was, in fact, a rental system at one time, I would have to conclude that Blockbuster did, indeed, have some Travel Master hard cases along with the Virtual Boy hard cases and put them out for sale when all the Virtual Boy stuff was being sold. I also found out that my friend's brother was actually the one who purchased the system with Travel Master case for my friend, and he also verified that he either bought it at the toy store that used to be in the Indiana Mall or Blockbuster, no other option. So I'd have to go with the notion that this was a Blockbuster purchase.

Posted on: 2012/1/20 14:38
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2011/4/8
Great Britain
417 Posts
Long Time User (8 Years)
To me it makes absolute sense that these would be Blockbuster cases that were either earlier than the officially badged ones, or later when the licensing deal ran out perhaps.

Maybe there was a run that just weren't badged up due to a maufacturing guff-up.
Has anyone asked TravelMaster? Do they still trade?

Posted on: 2012/1/21 10:14
PVB Elite
Joined 2010/2/19
USA
559 Posts
Quote:

L___E___T wrote:
To me it makes absolute sense that these would be Blockbuster cases that were either earlier than the officially badged ones, or later when the licensing deal ran out perhaps.

Maybe there was a run that just weren't badged up due to a maufacturing guff-up.
Has anyone asked TravelMaster? Do they still trade?

Southern case folded a long time ago. Although the owner of Southern Case (Andy Dembick) is 69 or 70 years old, believed to be alive and kicking, and currently is president of Fusion Tech Inc. It's a Nano-technology company that makes lubricants and cleaning agents. Fusion Tech is located in the same town where Southern Case once flourished, Raleigh NC.

I highly doubt you'd find any answers or valuable info about a rare sub-version of an already exclusive 17 year old product when questions are poised to and reported back by a senior citizen.

Posted on: 2012/1/23 11:17
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2011/4/8
Great Britain
417 Posts
Long Time User (8 Years)
would make for an exhilarating answer though right? :)

Posted on: 2012/2/5 0:50
PVB Elite
Joined 2007/10/26
USA
757 Posts
ContributorTop10 PosterLong Time User (12 Years) Donator
If anyone needs a Travel master case for their collection :), I can help. I'd rather trade it at this point to other VB stuff I don't have :)..or maybe the Travel Master + cash, if it's a really cool item. But, if anyone wants to talk about it..please PM me.

-Eric

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post