Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

i want to make my own game
Posted on: 2010/2/12 2:26
Nintendoid!
Joined 2006/7/11
Sweden
139 Posts
ContributorLong Time User (13 Years) Donator20+ Game Ratings
what do i need to wrigt my homemade game fore vb?

I trying to understand what i need to download and how to make them work on my computer.

Please can some one give me a idiot guide so i can do this .-)

You can Pm me

Thanks

Re: i want to make my own game
Posted on: 2010/2/12 2:47
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2008/1/17
USA
266 Posts
ContributorLong Time User (11 Years) 20+ Game Ratings
...not to sound discouraging or anything but you do realize theres quite a bit of learning and hard work put into making a game, right? it might take more than just reading a PM or two.

Posted on: 2010/2/12 3:09
PVB Elite
Joined 2003/7/25
USA
1507 Posts
PVBCC 1stCoderContributor#3 PosterHOTY09 EntryLong Time User (15 Years) App CoderPVBCC 2010 EntryPVBCC 2013 Entry
Do you have any experience programming? Do you know how to program in C language? If yes, it shouldn't be too difficult... just download gccvb, VIDE, and some examples... get the examples working, modify them a little until you get the hang of how everything works.

If you have no programming experience at all, you should really start simple with an easier language than C, and on the PC (something like Visual Basic is pretty simple). Once you get the hang of programming, you should learn at least the basics of C, but again, on the PC. Once you understand how to write good, working C code, then you should be able to answer yes to both of my first questions... then just follow those steps.

DogP

Posted on: 2010/2/12 3:36
Nintendoid!
Joined 2006/7/11
Sweden
139 Posts
ContributorLong Time User (13 Years) Donator20+ Game Ratings
Oh well.

Thansk fore all the answers. I belive i have to let people how can do it, do it .-)

I dident relise the hard work behind it.

Thanks

Posted on: 2010/2/12 7:00
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2008/1/17
USA
266 Posts
ContributorLong Time User (11 Years) 20+ Game Ratings
i bet if you worked hard you could figure it out.

Posted on: 2010/2/15 6:16
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2010/2/14
USA
333 Posts
10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (9 Years)
Does anyone program games in assembly for the VB, or is most/all of the homebrew done in C? I was just wondering because I read the programmers manual and most examples were done in assembly.

Posted on: 2010/2/15 6:53
PVB Elite
Joined 2003/7/25
USA
1507 Posts
PVBCC 1stCoderContributor#3 PosterHOTY09 EntryLong Time User (15 Years) App CoderPVBCC 2010 EntryPVBCC 2013 Entry
Almost all of the coding is done in C... there's a few rare exceptions where we choose to use ASM, but you can certainly do just about anything you'd like without ever touching ASM. V810 ASM is pretty nice though, so if you're familiar with ASM in general, it wouldn't be difficult to pick up.

The programmers manual is pretty out of date now though... if you're interested in coding, you should check out the wiki: http://www.vr32.de/modules/dokuwiki/doku.php? , and download some of the examples.

DogP

Posted on: 2010/2/15 7:02
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2010/2/14
USA
333 Posts
Awesome. I am very familiar with assembly, which is why that is great news, haha. I'll check out the wiki, thanks.

Posted on: 2010/2/19 3:43
Nintendoid!
Joined 2009/12/7
Chile
121 Posts
CoderLong Time User (9 Years) 20+ Game Ratings
I would suggest setting up your dev environment first and checking to see if you can compile the examples. So far this has proven to be one of my biggest headaches!

The documentation on the wiki is quite good, but for some reason the steps didn't all work for me, so proceed with caution! :-)

Posted on: 2010/2/19 16:39
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2010/2/14
USA
333 Posts
It didn't work for me either, and I'm a computer engineer, so I know what I'm doing.

I think the most confusing thing is the various tutorials were written at different points in time when the compiler and rboy were at a certain version. And now they appear to be completely different. And then there are inconsistencies. For example, one article says I need to install "cygwin" or something, and another example makes no mention of it. There is generally confusion between the Windows and Unix examples as well. Almost everything requires changes to PATH environment variables and other tedious command line options. Another thing I noticed was I couldn't even run the "demo.vb" program in reality boy, even without compiling anything.
Whoever put together the compiler tutorials should consider revising them, because they don't work at all.

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post