Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Fun with plastic
Posted on: 2009/11/19 1:43
Nintendoid!
Joined 2009/8/11
USA
112 Posts
Long Time User (10 Years)
I decided to try my hand in moldmaking and plastic casting. For my first project, I decided to make a replica of the prototype controller (well, the buttons at least).

The advantage of using plastic and plastic dye rather than just painting the buttons are that the color will never rub off when it is cast with plastic. I have a feeling paint would not last very long on a VB controller!

I don't think the yellow has fully cured yet, I may have to redo that button. But overall, for my first stab at plastic, I am very happy with the results!

Note: I didn't take the time to cast or paint the rest of the controller, so it is not a full replica.

I plan on trying to replicate more parts of the VB, such as game cartridges (I think it would be cool to have a clear one), dust caps, and of course the stand part that always breaks. I have an idea with the stand part so that it would not break anymore, hopefully I can get that implemented soon.

For those of you wondering, I bought all of my materials at http://www.alumilite.com/

Edit: The colors don't look quite right on the computer screen, they look much better in person. Maybe I can get a better shot of it later.

Attach file:

jpg  newold_web.JPG (130.46 KB)
1146_4b0493337c4b5.jpg 814X360 px

Re: Fun with plastic
Posted on: 2009/11/19 5:41
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2009/8/2
USA
256 Posts
Contributor10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (10 Years)
Hey thats pretty cool I really like the way the buttons look, like the man at the beggining of each level of red alarm says 'good luck' was it hard to put the controller back together beacause of those parts on the back for the battery pack?

Posted on: 2009/11/19 9:51
Administrator
Joined 2000/1/8
Germany
2519 Posts
Highscore Top10Highscore Top ScoreCoder#1 PosterHOTY09 1stLong Time User (15 Years) App Coder90+ Game Ratings
Hah! VERY nice! Will be interesting to see if you can get dust caps and cart cases made, especially clear ones.

Posted on: 2009/11/19 10:20
PVB Elite
Joined 2008/11/10
Great Britain
507 Posts
ContributorLong Time User (11 Years)
Looks good, like the moulding route, I have been getitng parts milled with cnc, takes time and i have to rely on another fella to do that part for me.
If it helps i have modelled the stand parts in 3D Solidworks, i can export them to another format if you would like copies. PM me if you do and I'll email you some over.

I am working on the controller now, but having bit of trouble getting the compounded curves of the body to look right, it will happen its just taking time and fitting in between work stuff.

Posted on: 2009/11/19 15:29
PVB Elite
Joined 2003/7/25
USA
1507 Posts
PVBCC 1stCoderContributor#3 PosterHOTY09 EntryLong Time User (15 Years) App CoderPVBCC 2010 EntryPVBCC 2013 Entry
Looks good! Kinda makes me want some Skittles though ;-) .

DogP

Posted on: 2009/11/19 23:26
Nintendoid!
Joined 2009/8/11
USA
112 Posts
Hedgetrimmer, what exactly are you trying to make as far as the controller? And for what purpose? But anyway, I appreciate the offer but I don't need any CAD files, all I need to make a mold is the original part (and I have all the parts already)

I made a new yellow button yesterday, and it works perfect. I really like the way the gray d-pads look, but I am not such a big fan of the green button. It just does not look as bright as I would like it to. Maybe I will try to make another one.

It takes about a day to make a mold (not a day of work, just a day to let the mold set), so don't expect anything anytime soon, but I will post more pictures once I get more stuff done. The buttons were easy to do, but the rest of the parts will be much harder.

Posted on: 2009/11/20 11:45
PVB Elite
Joined 2008/11/10
Great Britain
507 Posts
Quote:

mbuchman wrote:
Hedgetrimmer, what exactly are you trying to make as far as the controller? And for what purpose? But anyway, I appreciate the offer but I don't need any CAD files, all I need to make a mold is the original part (and I have all the parts already)

I'm not actually trying to manufacture any of the controller, just model it up in 3D to get some good renders and views and cos i draw boring straight engineering stuff all day and wanted to get to grips with compounded curves and surfaces, heres a pic of the top of the controller half so far.
My CAD data could be used to cnc mill a mold, but using the original is gonna be far quicker and easier.
I'm liking what you have done so far, good work fella.

Attach file:

jpg  VB controller top.jpg (260.52 KB)
892_4b067341abbc0.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2009/11/20 12:02
Administrator
Joined 2000/1/8
Germany
2519 Posts
Highscore Top10Highscore Top ScoreCoder#1 PosterHOTY09 1stLong Time User (15 Years) App Coder90+ Game Ratings
Did I mention yet that i absolutely LOVE your VB 3D models, Hedgetrimmer? Great work! I am already looking forward to the next update you give us about your work.

Posted on: 2009/11/20 12:12
PVB Elite
Joined 2008/11/10
Great Britain
507 Posts
Thanks Krisse, you are most kind, I do enjoy doing the modelling, although these curves are a bit mind bending to get right, i get very odd looking handles until i get my skteches correct.
I might have a bit of time actually today to have another go at the back, that bit is really testing my brain at the moment, but when it comes out right I am very pleased with the results.
I will keep you posted, its taking time but eventually i will have a full VB modelled.

Posted on: 2009/11/22 3:18
VB Gamer
Joined 2009/10/14
USA
26 Posts
Very cool models!

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post